Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2016, 01:33   #1

It's just disgusting...

I've been working at the marina for three days now, and as I learn all the docks in the 55 acre marina, I'm absolutely disgusted with some of the boats. Well I guess it's not the boats fault - I'm disgusted with the condition of some of these boats and the lack of maintenance by the owners.

Why have a big nice boat, and let it sit there rotting away?

Some of these boats have the Brazilian jungle growing on the bottoms, others have sat in the sun so long the paint has just faded completely away, and others are a nail hole away from sinking. Seriously!

There are yachts here that haven't seen their owners in YEARS. I swear, if I ever own a boat as nice as some of these, it will NEVER be this kind of neglected!
TooCoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 02:52   #2

Boat: Cornado 25
Re: It's just disgusting...

Quote:
Most of them were dreamers who after buying their 50' something or other, found out it wasn't like in the brochures...
Old 11-09-2016, 02:56   #3

Boat: Club Sailor; various

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCoys View Post
I've been working at the marina for three days now, and as I learn all the docks in the 55 acre marina, I'm absolutely disgusted with some of the boats. Well I guess it's not the boats fault - I'm disgusted with the condition of some of these boats and the lack of maintenance by the owners.

Some of these boats have the Brazilian jungle growing on the bottoms, others have sat in the sun so long the paint has just faded completely away, and others are a nail hole away from sinking. Seriously!

There are yachts here that haven't seen their owners in YEARS. I swear, if I ever own a boat as nice as some of these, it will NEVER be this kind of neglected!
One would think they would sell them rather than keep paying slip fees but they don't. We have over 5000 slips at MDR and on any given day maybe 30 boats get out on the water.
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 04:15   #4

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

It's kind of sad, but in places like SoCal, where the weather's always perfect, people use their boats less than in say New England. Where the sailing season's really short, & for a good portion of it the weather is still terrible for sailing by most standards.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 04:59   #5
CLOD

Boat: none

[QUOTE=TooCoys;2210661 I swear, if I ever own a boat as nice as some of these, it will NEVER be this kind of neglected![/QUOTE]

O bet the owners of those boats said the same thing in the beginning.
Old 11-09-2016, 05:56   #6

Boat: EggHarbor,Sportfish,35

I wonder how many just gave up and are delinquent on their monthly slip payments. Allowing that much growth on their boats bottoms is pretty damaging and it's never going out like that.
landsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 07:14   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

For some boats it comes down to simple math... It will cost X dollars to chop up and dispose of it, Y dollars to fix it, or Z dollars in us treasury bonds to keep paying for the slip. When Z<,X,Y it makes financial sense to just own it.

Disposing of old boats is expensive, and many slip rates are cheap.... Our marina has suffered from this for years.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 07:17   #8
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

do not forget the boats owned by some richie rich with a will that covered the slip fees but no maintenance. he died, now what.
as the rent is covered, the appearance becomes a non issue as there is nothing that can be done about the tenure in marina.
if your position is that of authority, then you are allowed to contact the owners as to status and you are allowed to notify them in time of need regarding emergencies, not much more. have fun with that. it turned out , in one marina i rented 2 slips in, that half the docked boats were trustafarians. covered by trust funds without any love. some allow contact for potential sale of boat. many do not.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 07:22   #9

Boat: Westsail28

, Just a few of the reasons why the neglect.
1. Got too busy at work.
2. Tearing around the bay one day like a teenager on a major sugar buzz and scared the wife( who won't go to the boat now).
3. Got into a little weather and lost control of the boat.
4. Mechanically disinclined.
5. Guy told me once "I thought it would be more fun".
6. Sailing is boring.
I've been bored,excited, terrified,sick,amazed,felt lucky,cursed,broken gear in a blow, seen the green flash(twice), was knocked down once.
Never poked a hole in the boat (thank you Jesus).
Uh, sorry about the Rant. It was meant to be a one line response. (really)
quill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 07:31   #10

Boat: a sailing boat

I am never disgusted but I do feel sad. Remembering how it was when I was kid and could not get my hands on any boat. And now the marinas full of boats never used and, often, just left there to die in the sun.

I think private boat ownership should be banned. Boats should be fewer and simply rented out for day-sailing, cruising or living aboard.

Too many marinas look like huge graveyards. At least here in the EU.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 07:37   #11

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I am never disgusted but I do feel sad. Remembering how it was when I was kid and could not get my hands on any boat. And now the marinas full of boats never used and, often, just left there to die in the sun.

I think private boat ownership should be banned. Boats should be fewer and simply rented out for day-sailing, cruising or living aboard.

Too many marinas look like huge graveyards. At least here in the EU.

b.
thats COMMIE TALK!

nah, but seriously, it's the same here. Tons of boats not moved in years, not even touched. Some of the white boats even have green mold growing on the side of the hull. I know the mentality is that the dreamers just lose their ambition, but the fact of the matter is these people pay at least $500/month here to keep their boat in the marina, and can't even afford a single day of the month to give it a wash! Unbelievable! Lazy, commie bastards
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 07:37   #12

Boat: Bluewater 40, Cal 20, Bayliner Avanti

....send a letter of eviction and that's all.. then you have a spotless, empty marina... abandon boat is part of the view... We manage 200 slips and let's see... 15% are abandon ... while owner still paying fees, have update insurance and not sink at the dock, we're fine...
Old 11-09-2016, 07:38   #13
cruiser

Our boat which is in use continuously six months per year, never enters a marina. So... You are basically looking at boats that are in storage there in Southern California. Especially in MDR. We see Oyster yachts as well as Beneteaus, Jeanneaus, Hanse, Hallberg Rassy and Bavarias everywhere here in the anchorages. Bet you don't see many of them there in So Cal, especially MDR where it's mostly old clunkers in storage and the occasional houseboat eyesore if I remember correctly? Same with most of Long Beach and Newport Beach where the harbor looks the same as it did in 1980. Same boats.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 08:11   #14
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrobito View Post
....send a letter of eviction and that's all.. then you have a spotless, empty marina... abandon boat is part of the view... We manage 200 slips and let's see... 15% are abandon ... while owner still paying fees, have update insurance and not sink at the dock, we're fine...
trust fund boats are not allowed to be evicted. their insurance is current, they were there long time and grandfathered in and there are no laws saying thou must use your boat.
with trust fund boats, there is nothing the marina can do about ridding themselves of the problem. the lawyers have made certain each loophole is filled.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 08:14   #15

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
trust fund boats are not allowed to be evicted. their insurance is current, they were there long time and grandfathered in and there are no laws saying thou must use your boat.
with trust fund boats, there is nothing the marina can do about ridding themselves of the problem.
At least in our marina, they have the right to kick anyone out at any given time. Doesn't matter. (privately owned)
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote