Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2017, 09:56   #1

It’s time to give back to the BVI

Any cruiser who has had the joy to sail the BVI will attest to the magnitude of it’s beauty and the remarkable friendliness and welcoming nature of all those who call the BVI their home. We have all taken away many, many wonderful memories of this incredible destination and now it is time to give back.

We call on each and every cruiser to give generously. The people of the BVI have welcomed us to their little piece of paradise for decades and they now need our help to recover and rebuild.

We are not promoting any particular charity or aid organization, but list a few here. Do your research and choose the organization that you most trust…. just don’t let skepticism bar you from making a contribution. We all want to return to these islands as soon as we can and we want to ensure help and supplies are provided to BVI residents. Let’s make that happen, now!

James & Sylvie Macallister
s/v Mistina
Spanish Town, BVI

Where can I send a donation?

Three Sheets Sailing
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...46731998738504

BVI Hurricane Irma Relief Fund
https://www.gofundme.com/bvi-hurrican-irma-relief-fund

BVI Recovery Fund
https://hello.pledgeling.com/widgets...79a64f#amounts

Once again, this is not a complete list.
Tiemates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 10:00   #2

Boat: Tanzer 22
Re: It’s time to give back to the BVI

Does gofundme take a portion of the money?
NoahTreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 10:13   #3

Boat: Lagoon 380
Send a message via Skype™ to Wendi

The magnitude of the loss is not just their homes and businesses, but the income from all the cruisers and tourists. All of the income on the islands just stops. So you lose everything, and lose your income stream from tourism. So hard to comprehend. I agree, we can help in many ways. Money is one, but are there even more ways to help?
Old 08-09-2017, 10:21   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahTreat View Post
Does gofundme take a portion of the money?
Yes- 5% by GoFundMe platform + 2.9% + 30 cents for payment processing, for a total of 7.9% + 30 cents per donation for charity campaigns
Old 08-09-2017, 10:23   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendi View Post
The magnitude of the loss is not just their homes and businesses, but the income from all the cruisers and tourists. All of the income on the islands just stops. So you lose everything, and lose your income stream from tourism. So hard to comprehend. I agree, we can help in many ways. Money is one, but are there even more ways to help?
Using Three Sheets Sailing allows you to purchase specific items from Amazon for shipment to BVI.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:33   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiemates View Post
Any cruiser who has had the joy to sail the BVI will attest to the magnitude of it’s beauty and the remarkable friendliness and welcoming nature of all those who call the BVI their home. We have all taken away many, many wonderful memories of this incredible destination and now it is time to give back.

We call on each and every cruiser to give generously. The people of the BVI have welcomed us to their little piece of paradise for decades and they now need our help to recover and rebuild.

We are not promoting any particular charity or aid organization, but list a few here. Do your research and choose the organization that you most trust…. just don’t let skepticism bar you from making a contribution. We all want to return to these islands as soon as we can and we want to ensure help and supplies are provided to BVI residents. Let’s make that happen, now!

James & Sylvie Macallister
s/v Mistina
Spanish Town, BVI

Where can I send a donation?

Three Sheets Sailing

BVI Hurricane Irma Relief Fund
https://www.gofundme.com/bvi-hurrican-irma-relief-fund

BVI Recovery Fund
https://hello.pledgeling.com/widgets...79a64f#amounts

Once again, this is not a complete list.
Richard Branson has just setup a no-fee fund at:
https://www.virgin.com/unite/bvi-com...support-appeal
Old 10-09-2017, 11:28   #7

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

Quote:
I gave some money here and through Global Giving's Irma relief fund.

Here's a bump for this thread, hoping it gets more attention than the threads about buying salvaged boats.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:05   #8

Boat: Valiant 40-169

Having chartered twice in the BVI and sailed to Anguilla, St. Martin and St. Barts this destruction has really bummed me out. I have sent $50 to the Branson fund. Hope others help out.
gordwedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:26   #9
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

if you are medical personnel please go to onsite assistance. same construction and other infrastructure repair rebuilding folks. willbe better than money. many islands to help andnot enough money to go around. not enough bodies to help. boats water food construction health care, you name it it is needed.
figure out how to do that and you are their heros/
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 13:53   #10

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
if you are medical personnel please go to onsite assistance. same construction and other infrastructure repair rebuilding folks. willbe better than money. many islands to help andnot enough money to go around. not enough bodies to help. boats water food construction health care, you name it it is needed.
It would be downright glorious to go down there and physically help the island and people recover. I just can't do it, got a 3 year old kid and an injured wife.

I can only hope the people that took my money use it in truly beneficial ways, food for the hungry, shelter for those in need... Etc.
Old 10-09-2017, 14:43   #11
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

cannot go yourself--spread word to others someone can go and would love to but didnt hear yada yada.. so spread this ..please
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 16:09   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveslide View Post
It would be downright glorious to go down there and physically help the island and people recover. I just can't do it, got a 3 year old kid and an injured wife.

I can only hope the people that took my money use it in truly beneficial ways, food for the hungry, shelter for those in need... Etc.

Cheers to local Sir Richard Branson. I'm certain those funds will be used judiciously.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 16:31   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
If one had some combination of marine technical, heavy equipment, logistics, project management skills, or other rebuilding skills, how does one get involved? Are there sites or registries?

There's lots of considerations: how to get there, where to stay and eat, how to stay in contact with home, etc.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 17:50   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
If one had some combination of marine technical, heavy equipment, logistics, project management skills, or other rebuilding skills, how does one get involved? Are there sites or registries?

There's lots of considerations: how to get there, where to stay and eat, how to stay in contact with home, etc.

They are no doubt a little overwhelmed as is normal. Best thing in this sort of situation is pick one organization and volunteer. I would contact someone outside the zone. Voyage Charters office in Annapolis or Voyage Yachts directly in Capetown(?). Make your offer.

My belief is that they would take care of lodging food and staying in touch for a dedicated VOLUNTEER as soon as those things are possible on Tortola. If you can show that Voyage formally accepted your offer to help I'll throw in the air miles for a round trip ticket.

They might even take up your help starting remotely so maybe offer that as well. Have some samples of your work to show so they understand your capabilities and tell them you have already secured donated air fare.
Old 10-09-2017, 18:21   #15

Quote:

I wonder if Sir Branson wouldn't consider providing a relief flight from FLL to Beef Island to transport volunteers who want to help the BVIs. My understanding is that he in fact is the owner of a number of airplanes.

Tags
BVI