Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2014, 02:42   #46

Boat: Mac 26X
Re: Important things we don't talk about much

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I can accept the e-book (because I have a Kindle so understand).

But seems I was right in that people don't feel 8-10 years of good sleep is worth $1000
What I havn't seen mentioned is you don't have to spen NEARLY that to get a decent mattress, one far better than the foam pads that come with most boats. No I would NEVER spend $1000 (frankly I just CAN'T)...but I have a nice Queen pillow top on my boat that makes me very happy

Coming from my recent change to live-aboard status...hot water. I can't wait to get HOT WATER!!!!
Old 01-02-2014, 02:50   #47

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I agree that good cook wear is very important.

Of course dinner might get burned . . .
Beluga and champagne are always a good fallback when dinner is inevitably burned .

I can report that French cook wear functions very effectively on board and definitely tops of my list of "Important things we don't talk about much" .

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:06   #48

Boat: Hunter 340

The $1100 I spent on my mattress was one of the best purchases on my boat!
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:15   #49

I'm with an earlier poster, get me a good comfortable place to be able to sit and read for hours if need be without wrecking my back. The semi round sitting areas seen in so many boats are useless for long term sitting. You need something with a square corner so you can get good lower back support even if you have to add a pillow or bolster. That means you need a separate chair or and old fashion settee with square ends.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:24   #50
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Regarding mattresses, we did buy a catamaran so for starters we're not dealing with trying to fit rectangular people into triangular boxes, but we junked the mattresses that came on the 28 year old boat and replaced them with higher end air mattresses. We bought the Aerobed queen version with the electric pump and memory foam top Amazon.com: Coleman Camping AeroBed Queen Memory Foam Bed: Sports & Outdoors

1.) It weighs about 50 lbs less than the normal mattress it replaced.
2.) It's easy to deflate, roll up and store if we need that bunk space for something else, like a bicycle that needs repairs.
3.) In a pinch, it would be flotation.
4.) If it gets soaked because some un-named dummie left the hatch open, you just deflate it, carry it outside, spread it in the sun and it's totally dry in ten minutes. Doesn't absorb water except for some in the memory foam and that's closed cell so it's not saturated.
5.) and this is the important part, it's one of the most comfortable mattresses we've ever slept on, with complete firmness control

6>) oh yeah, forgot I was talking to cruisers....- It's CHEAP by mattress standards.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:47   #51

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38, S/V Invictus

The keys to comfort, for long term cruising and living aboard, I found were:
- comfy mattress
- comfy settee to lounge in
- good coffee with real milk
- hot shower

Mattress was an easy and inexpensive problem to solve. I went to a local canvas maker and we took out several sheets of regular foam. Varying thicknesses and densities. We ended up making a 2 layer mattress for me of 4 inches of medium density foam topped (and laminated with) 2 inches of low density foam. It was wonderful. Obviously, you can make any combination or thickness you like. You could have three different layers. The canvas maker cut and fit the mattress to the existing covers I had. Very inexpensive.

Did the same for my favorite settee. Had a nice wide one on the boat (28 inches?). That was the key

Kept cans of unsweetened condensed milk in the pantry. Makes for wonderful coffee with milk, just the way I like it. Open a can and it will keep for days.

Hot shower speaks for itself. It is a must. There were times when I was being extra frugal with water, at anchor, when I used a 2 gal chem sprayer. Would fill with water and add some boiling water to heat up. One advantage....since these sprayers have different attachments, you can actually take fairly long showers with them...nice and hot....very nice.

Then, as someone else wrote, a cup of milk and off to dreamland on the wonderful mattress surrounded by rich teak staving....incred cozy....

Best

John
Old 01-02-2014, 06:58   #52

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caracal View Post
Yup, I have a small one-person titanium (!) french press, and at home I use an electric grinder for that fresh taste. WHen I'm out an about, I usually use a handheld grinder.

I purposely didn't specify in the first post what my preference is, because "good coffee" seems to differ with the person. I mean, some people like espressos and lattes - which I really hate.

I find I sweat, or rather "transpire" when I lay on memory foam. I'm not necessarily always hot on it, but I feel clammy like hell.

I also prefer down (you can get them with silicone coated down so moisture is no problem), but I'm toying with an idea of getting a silk-filled duvet for summer and perhaps even a wool-filled duvet for winter.

Yes!

+1 on the coffee - americans can't make coffee, it looks and tastes like dishwater (yes I include Starbucks in that statement - starbucks is terrible coffee).

The best duvets are duck or goose down filled. I have a newish one for the winter and an old one that has lost most of its feathers for the summer

Don't even thin about wool or silk - an old beat up duvet with duck down is perfect for summer use

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:06   #53

Having lived aboard for a number of years, I would not want to give up a hot shower in a seperate shower stall on the boat.
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:22   #54

I'm from Denmark too, so I'm used to down duvets, but I thought it would be an interesting experiment that might turn out even more comfortable

Hästens make some silk duvets and wool duvets, hence I wondered if they might actually be comfortable.
Caracal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:29   #55

Most cities of any size have a business of manufacturing a mattress. Since antique beds are odd sizes mattresses must be custom made. Ask an antique dealer where you might get one made or yellow pages under mattress.
I bought one for a V birth from an ad in a boat mag. I think the company was in North Carolina. They sent a big piece of paper for me to trace around the old foam pads. I also sent photos of the inner hull to show how it was beveled. It came UPS two weeks later in two pieces. 4'' thick, springy stuff inside. Perfect fit, slept good. You can also choose the material for the outer cover. (ticking)
blackkayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:07   #56

Boat: Orca 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
+1 on the coffee - americans can't make coffee, it looks and tastes like dishwater

Wow, generalize much do we?

In a country the size of the U.S., you don't think there's any good coffee? Anywhere? Say, Seattle? You are soooo quick to paint the whole nation with your brush.

So what's the REAL reason for the anti-American sentiments? It's o.k., go ahead and tell us, we can take it!
Old 01-02-2014, 08:07   #57

Boat: 1984 Slocum 43

I too was fond of french press coffee, but without a garbage disposal, cleanup was a pain. Found that the AeroPress was perfect for on board!

I tossed the scooper for a smaller one, the large stirring paddle (a teaspoon did the job), and re-purposed the zip nylon bag for some tools. I'm holding off getting rid of the funnel to see if I want to grind my own coffee or stick with pre-ground. If I bought the S Filter, then I could get rid of the filters and holder as well. Cleanup couldn't be easier, (just pop the grounds into the trash and rinse), and it tucks into a drawer afterward!

We're lucky that the mattresses on board work just fine for us. Probably helped that the previous owners weren't liveaboard.

Fixed the back-siphon problem and the electric head works great!

Our stand-up shower has a seat in it that angles down and collects water during every shower. I need to address that one of these days somehow.
Mycroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:24   #58

Boat: PSC 34

As some one mentioned most boats don't have a decent place to sit. I found the West Marine folding chair to be the best thing to throw almost anywhere on my sailboat and have a good seat with good back support. They are just two cushions with a metal frame and a ratchet system to set the angle you like. They fold flat for hauling to the beach or storage. $60 on sale.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:50   #59
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

pillows make berths sittable, same with settees..lol...
i was trying to reinvent the bed, which i always have to do , as i never found any but soma beds comfortable.. i am very prone to ischemias, having reynauds disease since age 7 onset.....so i am trying to reinvent my bed system..i am thinking on some memory foam with a gel padding under it on top of a regular boat cushion, non-latex, of proper size for space...but the cushion would be about 6 inches deep, as most of mine already are......yes. princess and pea comes quickly to mind....

coffee?? extra strong french roast filtered. 20 ounces daily. as mocha in my cup.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:04   #60

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strait Shooter View Post
Wow, generalize much do we?

In a country the size of the U.S., you don't think there's any good coffee? Anywhere? Say, Seattle? You are soooo quick to paint the whole nation with your brush.

So what's the REAL reason for the anti-American sentiments? It's o.k., go ahead and tell us, we can take it!
Actually, I grew up in the US (new jersey) and lived there for over 22 years.

Many statements are generalizations and if you have taken umbrage at mine, I sincerely apologize. However, I have found in my trips to the US that good coffee is a very rare thing indeed.

And yes, I've been to Seattle, numerous times and I not impressed with the coffee there (there are exceptions to that statement).

By the way I'm not in the least anti-american. Both my daughters live there and I find the US to be a very attractive place to visit. I would even consider moving back there some day, although I prefer the flavor of europe, with its many languages and cultures (personal preference - nothing against the US).

I DO take exception to the paranoid cruising regulations that exist in the US (having to call the Dpt of Homeland Sec. every time you move your boat), but that is the cost of cruising there.

So no offense meant - and my apologies to any that take exception to my statement

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
import