Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2024, 03:29   #1

Location: Florida, Off the Caloosahatchee Canal for the Summer
Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'
Re: Hydrochloric acid on board

HCL is also good for cleaning blood off of concrete . . . . and destroying DNA evidence . . . . .
I once went into Lowes to buy two gallons of Muriatic acid, which we used for etching steel to patina it for metal sculptures. The salesman walked me to where it was located on the shelf in the paint department. I picked up two bottles, when he asked me what I was using it for, I told him (tongue in cheek) that it cleans blood off of concrete.

Then, just for fun, I asked him where the duct tape and shovels were in the store. He looked at me really peculiarly, told me, then proceeded to follow me around the store for the next 20 minutes while I did some other shopping . . . .

People of my vintage take their amusement where they can get it! My wife says I'm just weird.
BlueH2Obound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 08:39   #2

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueH2Obound View Post
HCL is also good for cleaning blood off of concrete . . . . and destroying DNA evidence . . . . .
I once went into Lowes to buy two gallons of Muriatic acid, which we used for etching steel to patina it for metal sculptures. The salesman walked me to where it was located on the shelf in the paint department. I picked up two bottles, when he asked me what I was using it for, I told him (tongue in cheek) that it cleans blood off of concrete.

Then, just for fun, I asked him where the duct tape and shovels were in the store. He looked at me really peculiarly, told me, then proceeded to follow me around the store for the next 20 minutes while I did some other shopping . . . .

People of my vintage take their amusement where they can get it! My wife says I'm just weird.
I don't need any but I may go to Lowes or Homedepot and ask for some and follow your lead. I could use some entertainment.
Hoosiersailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 04:19   #3

We use it often to clean toilet pipes. It wouldn't worry me about having thst much inboard unless I had an aluminium boat. It dissolves aluminium very effectively!
Wandering1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 06:54   #4

QUOTE=Franco_oz;3895317]What would be the reason to have hydrochloric acid on board? I am checking a vessel on a mooring in the Philippines. I found two 4lt bottles of acid. Hydrochloric can be used for several applications and I am aware of it but this amount kinda puzzles me. I asked the owner and he didn't answer. His wife said they have muriatic acid as well but couldn't tell me the reason.[/QUOTE]

Hydrochloride acid and muriatic acid are the same substance. Apart from cleaning one can use it for dissolving uric acid (urine) which form in the black water pipes. Eventually uric crystals can block the pipes
We use vinegar to dissolve these cristals which to us seems kinder to the environment
Nic Homan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 07:36   #5

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

In many countries including the Philippines, HCL is a common liquid for descaling everything from A/C drains to plumping and engine parts. I have a bottle about 4 feet from me as I write this.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 08:33   #6

Among the uses already mentioned I use it (in the form of Vixol) to dissolve finger anode stubs out of brass fittings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5790.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	401.3 KB
ID:	289594   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5794.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	407.3 KB
ID:	289595  

Tom G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 09:03   #7

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

I use it to clean my heat exchangers and some rust removal. Also put a little in my head and flush it through the piping from time to time, but you must first flush a good amount of fresh water through the head before adding, if there's salt water in the head it'll produce toxic fumes as it reacts to the minerals in the salt water. This is in a highly diluted state in this application. Done as a maintenance procedure from time to time, it's better than having to remove your hoses periodically to beat them on a tree or post to remove the mineral buildup.
When used appropriately it's a handy item to have on board, just make sure it's safely stored and used with proper protective gear.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 09:39   #8

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I bought some strong HCL in a third world shop somewhere. It works much faster than vinegar to clean out head hoses. I also used it with an eye dropper to separate stainless steel fasteners from aluminum. It eats aluminum oxide a bit faster than the aluminum itself, and leaves behind a porous aluminum.
donradcliffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 10:27   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

I learned when living in the Philippines, if you see something at a bargain price buy it quick. If you wait and go back it likely isn't available anymore.

This said HCl should be available at many hardware stores there. So my only reason not mentioned by others relates to having your lines in the water. Lines left in the water in the Philippines accumulate so much hard life that the best solution is to put the entire line into a big buck with acid to dissolve the hard shells. HOWEVER, HCl in concentrated form would destroy the lines. It would have to be diluted down to about 5%.

NOTE: When trying to dilute a concentrated acid you must do it safely. It's extremely important to add the acid to the water rather than the other way around.
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote