Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2021, 17:58   #1

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Errant swimmer rescued

"Marina staff member rescues woman from Mare Island Strait
On February 3, 2021, around 4:30 pm, Paul Miller, a Vallejo Building Maintenance Worker for the Marina Division, received a call from the emergency pager regarding a woman trespassing on the K dock at the Marina. Witnesses said she seemed to be exhibiting distress and was also in and out of the water trying to steal a boater’s canoe. Paul Miller contacted Larry Bowling, Sr. Maintenance Worker for the Marina Division, to alert him of the situation. Larry Bowling reached out to the Vallejo Police Department. Upon arrival, Paul Miller made contact with an Allied Universal Security guard on J dock that stated she jumped into the water and went out into the Mare Island Strait. Paul Miller immediately advised the security guard to contact the Coast Guard. Paul preceded to run to the other end of the Marina, and without hesitation, used the Marina’s boat to search for the woman in the Mare Island Strait. Paul Miller was able to locate her upon observing the tide and current condition of the water. Once Paul knew which direction to search in, he explained, “At first, I thought I saw a sea lion, but I wasn’t sure because it was so far away. I continued to focus my direction on this figure in the water, and it was indeed a sea lion, but – about 30 feet away from this sea lion was another figure that definitely looked like a human’s head.”
He approached the individual and was able to pull her out of the water and bring her back to safety. Shortly after arriving back at the dock, Coast Guard,
VPD, and other emergency responders arrived on the scene and handled the situation from there. Paul is a shining example of what it means to B.E.
G.R.E.A.T. in Vallejo, exhibiting the type of care and core values we all strive for daily!"

Above from my marina's newsletter. ... Hey, isn't the Coot moored at K dock?! But got no canoe.
Old 07-04-2021, 19:35   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Errant swimmer rescued

Happy ending. Could have been a lot worst. Was she a 5150?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rescue