Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2015, 08:23   #16

Boat: Nonsuch U30
Re: Dont own a boat - How to find people to go out with?

Several times I have told my friends "do not buy a boat" and that they could use my boat anytime in exchange for them cleaning the boat when they finish. I also asked that they call me and let me know in advance if they wanted to use it for more than one day. First time, within a week, I get a call "Guess what I bought a boat!". He put the boat in storage and that is where it set for five years unused. Next time, another boater, used the boat for about two months, they I get a call "How much do I want for the boat?" I would do this again with anyone who shows me they are responsible, know how to sail and navigate. Here in east Florida, I would ask that they help pay for the slip.
Sdwcheney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 08:24   #17

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Phew, I thought things had become really tight.

But yep, good cooks are ALWAYS welcome back on board our boat.

In all seriousness, you wouldn't want to pay anything, that changes the whole transaction and brings in goodness knows what sort of legal ramifications. If I understand things correctly, if I were to accept so much as a dollar towards fuel I would have crossed the magical line into the charter boat operation (at least in a strict legal sense) and that is a minefield.

But to the OP, seriously, most of us just love to show our pride and joy off to a new face, and if that new face is willing to listen to the important stuff about MOB etc, then I really don't mind if they spend the whole day prostrate on the foredeck catching some sun, or stick to the steering wheel like super glue, as long as they look like they are having fun they will be invited back on board.

Matt
I think you may find that accepting payment for 'boat expenses such as fuel and provisions is fine, you are still operating as a private yacht. If you charge a fee for a passage it becomes commercial. The safest way to avoid problems is to get someone to pay for something specific and direct, i.e. they fuel for the day or bring the food or drinks. This does vary by country so check the regs for your flag before doing it. The exception is delivery, you can pay someone to skipper your boat and remain private. It is basically whether you are taking responsibility for paying passengers but yes, it can be a tricky legal area.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 08:26   #18

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Would Prince Rupert (Alaska border) be two far to come for 4 day sail? May be looking for mid week crew next summer. PM me
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 11:26   #19

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Not a joke! Am not talking about paying a fixed amount of cash, nor even handing over actual cash! (Although sometimes appropriate)....but a willingness to put hand in pocket goes a long way - even if that "only" not turning up empty handed. And hungry. Lol.

Sent from my NEXUS 5 whilst sitting in my armchair tied to the dock.
I don't think cash is a good idea. However, you are thier guest, so you should bring a host gift...a 6 of beer, a bottle of wine. Personally, I like if my crew brought a baguette and some nice cheese. Its hard enough providing the boat, but having to bring snacks and drinks all the time too...sheesh. Other host gifts might be a sailing knife or pocket tool. Or better yet, when you sail with them, keep you ears and eyes open for something they need. For example, I'm down to just one winch handle (thank you kids), so an extra would be welcome.

But more than gifts, some helping hands are even better. Picking up a piece of sandpaper or a paint brush goes a long way.

I sail alone too much. I'm constantly searching for crew, or anyone who would like to go for a sail. But there is a big difference between being helpful crew, and being taken for a boat ride.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 11:54   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
I wouldn't take enthusiastic wannabe strangers out for a sail. When I have I regretted it for different reasons... they turned out to be people I don't especially care for. They get in the way. They need to be taken care of and I am not a cruise or charter operator. They can break things, waste water, leave lights on.... are clueless. If you run a charter you are paid to deal with all this.

If you want to experience sailing... go to sailing school and try to make friends with someone who owns a sailboat.

Unless someone seems very interesting when I meet and speak with them.... hell no. Do you invite strangers to your home because they want to swim in your pool or listen to your stereo?
I generally agree. Here's my recommendation to Chowdan:

Don't waste your money paying people to take you out. Instead, invest in a low-cost, small day-sailer and keep it at a sailboat marina, either slipped or stored at the marina on a trailer. Join the sail club. Or join a sail club that owns sailboats for their members to use. Sail a lot. Be sociable and helpful at the marina. Become part of the community. You will get invited on people's boats.

Crew on the social races. I don't agree that it is a great introduction to sailing, nor is it a great way to learn how to sail, but it is a great way to meet enthusiastic sailors. I've met people on boats that I've crewed on and invited them for more leisurely and hands-on sailing on my boat.
jwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 12:09   #21

Take a course on diesel engine repair.
You will be the most popular guy at any marina or club
You will be invited on every boat...they might even ask you below, where they keep the tools....
Old 21-09-2015, 12:21   #22

Boat: Rafiki 37

As mentioned the local yacht club probably has a place on race days to stand if you want to crew
Old 21-09-2015, 14:50   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

The best way to get some experience...

1) Walk into local yacht club on the night of their midweek regatta's
2) Offer to buy a beer for the first person to offer to take you sailing
3) PROFIT er... sailing

Seriously there are few yacht clubs in the world where a 'want to learn sailor' can't buy a drink at the bar and get a ride with someone. I have done it all over the world, even at some of the known to be 'snooty' places. The only difference there was the boat was a brand new Swan 70 instead of a 30' day sailor. A beer bought rides on them both.

Bring along a six pack of beer, a willing attitude, and even a little common sense and you will be invited back forever.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 14:53   #24

Pretend you are interested in buying a boat, and arrange for a viewing of a local boat for sale. The more expensive the yacht, the nicer they will be to you.

Say you are considering an offer, and ask for a sea trial.

My boat is currently for sale. I've taken out 6 "sea-trials" so far. Everyone had a wonderful time and loved the boat. Taking out number 7 tomorrow.

You might ask if you can spend a night (or two) aboard, to see how it suits you. I've seen this done. Absentee sellers are often so eager to sell that they will agree to anything.
Old 21-09-2015, 15:07   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

I used to keep my boat up by snooty Seattle, now I have her down in funky Astoria. If you wanted to sail with me, just show up when I am on the boat and ask. And I am not alone. Most sailors I hang around with will take you sailing at the first opportunity. Don't have to pay. Don't even have to have a cute girlfriend, although that helps. Buying a beer means your sincere. Since I don't drink, a six pack of Ginger Ale works just fine.
The sea-trials trick didn't work for me in Seattle, as I had to have a offer down before sea trials. But many of us have been in the same spot you have been. You can't know how good or bad a boat is until you have sailed her. So PM me when you are planning to come my way ( 3 hours trip) and I will see what I can do.
BTW- to the guy in Alert Bay. I was there this summer. Why there?
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 15:17   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: '87 Irwin 43

www.facebook.com/BlueOceanSails

PM me when you get a minute.
malyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 15:27   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
The sea-trials trick didn't work for me in Seattle, as I had to have a offer down before sea trials.
What you say is true...if you go to a broker.
For a sale by owner on a 30-40 year old boat, maybe not.

I do agree with your comment though..."just ask"...sailing can be a bit lonely and boring...no netflix or wifi, going slow all day, nothing but sanding and scrubbing to look forward to ...new crew can be very entertaining.

When I was in Antigua, the bar at the YC was full of young men and women looking for crew positions on the yachts/mega yachts there. The bikini girls had no trouble getting invitations, but had to be careful to find a boat that wasn't too "rapey". The boys had to rely on their qualifications. Hey...I don't make the rules, just reporting what I saw.
Old 21-09-2015, 15:47   #28

Boat: Newport 28

The funny part about this thread is that I own aboat and can never find crew. In fact, i sat at the dock this weekend for that reason..
VinnyVincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 16:14   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyVincent View Post
The funny part about this thread is that I own aboat and can never find crew. In fact, i sat at the dock this weekend for that reason..
Same here.
Old 21-09-2015, 16:19   #30

I second the yacht club idea. Many yacht clubs have a social membership. And the cost of yacht club membership varies tremendously. Some good ones are only a few hundred dollars a year.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote