Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2020, 12:23   #256

Re: Common Objects to Defend Your Boat at Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
This is really the issue for me. How to judge intent? I was approached by a fast-moving Mexican panga near Banco Chinchorro. No one else for miles. Were they pirates? I wondered. I got some flares ready, wished I had prepared a molotov cocktail or two.
As they shot alongside, they held up a big hogfish. Turns out they were out of matches and wanted to trade. What a fool I'd have looked if I'd acted unfriendly--and what a jerk I would have been as well.
I've also been boarded at night by burglars stealing stuff, so I can see both sides of the picture. I just wonder how many friendly and innocent fishermen have been chased away by fearful cruisers, and how our collective image has been tarnished in their eyes.
And if we have a bad and unfriendly reputation, how much more willing does that make an honest fisherman to take up the machete and become dishonest? Not that it's an excuse, but it's something I think about.
Better Safe Than Sorry
Old 25-09-2020, 12:46   #257

Boat: Sail and power

A fat stack of tens strewn over the side could bide some time while you beat a hasty retreat.
Old 25-09-2020, 12:59   #258

Boat: 55 fleming

A couple of cans of Bear spray might come in handy. A cattle prod would also be effective. Mace peperspray
Old 25-09-2020, 13:29   #259

Quote:
Originally Posted by LobeliaBlue View Post
Inhales, long slow sigh. Why can't I just drink water and mind my own business?

Because these topics are guns, guns, guns, and it's never the answer.
It's dumb and dangerous, and there is no such thing as a good guy with a gun.
There are fear-ridden egoists with poor socials skills in abundance, tho. Heh.

Seeing others as yourself is the best defense. Have I been mugged and stolen from?
Sure, a few times, but it was just stuff. Take the camera, the purse, let's not do violence.
I have some funny stories to tell instead of PTSD.

The person you are, is how the voyage goes. More than rights, you have a duty to harm no one.
Just an opinion
Old 25-09-2020, 16:10   #260

Boat: olsen / ericson 34

this is not a door, or range practice video. Although the video was most instructive and made great points.

FENDING OF A PIRATE :

Actual pirate boarding in RURTLE BAY a small fishing village, pacific side of Baha, Calif, Mexico. In the middle of absolute no where.

We were delivering a near new Ericson ( race) sailing vessel from Cabo back up to Los Angeles, Harbor.

Erica and I, and three male sailing club members. I was getting paid, they wanted to come along and pay their own airfare to Cabo . They wanted the experience, and would help as crew. .

Turtle Bay is small fishing village about 4 days up from Cabo San Lucas, and vital for fresh water and diesel fuel, provisions, and just taking a break.

We had anchored, and the three beards, decided to go ashore to find a drink or ten, Erica and I stayed on board to square the vessel away, and catch up on the ships log.
and then just relax up in the cockpit, And to make sure we were not dragging anchor .

The three dudes rattled off in the dink, and I was below at the chart table, Erica was below squaring away the cabin, and our berth area.

I hear a loud Thump at our starboard quarter, I assumed it was the three coming back early because they could not find a bar. WRONG !

I looked out the starboard port light, and here was a scruffy, anglo dude, long hair, beard, scruffy dirty and wearing a sarape. He had shut down his dink, and had the painter in his hand and boarding our vessel.

THIS HAS TO DO WITH FLARE GUNS.

We have no weapons on board, that will get you a long stint in a Mexican Prison and the boat impounded, I told the crew, no guns, no drugs, and I would leave you ashore along the deserted mexican coast and good luck. Period, end of conversation.

Anyway, this thieving pirate had his dink painter in one hand and grabbing onto the starboard cockpit life line to haul himself up and on board.

The vessels owner , who had raced down from southern calif to cabo, did not have one of those plastic orange flare guns, he had a Very pistol that was made out of metal .

I grabbed the very pistol, loaded it, and went to the companion way ladder and the open companion way hatch.

I took a shooters stance and as he pulled himself up on the life line to board and tie up his dink. He saw me, and stopped dead fixed on the big round barrel of the Very Pistol . I clicked back the hammer. The Flare gun was pointed at his chest. ( center mass)

WHAT DO YOU WANT !

Startled , This thieving low life, now sees me and the very pistol, He stutters out, " Oh I was just coming over to see if you wanted to exchange dollars for pesos. "

"BULL ****, you saw the three guys in the dink head ashore, you thought the vessel had no crew on board, You came to steal our money, credit cards, pass ports, VHF radio, and anything else you wanted."

The metal barrel of the Very Pistol probably looked like a short hand held 12 gage shotgun.

I asked what boat he came from. He pointed, it was a beat to hell junker Cal-25, ripped sails, halyards clanking, hull and top sides scarred up, and totally unseaworthy.

GET OFF MY BOAT, AND IF I SEE YOU AGAIN WHILE WE ARE IN PORT,
I WILL KILL YOU !

And, I meant it. ( Never saw him again )

That ended that.

But, the next day, the Mexican Navy, in crisp uniforms, armed with assault rifles, boarded us to heck out our pass ports, vessel documentation, customs papers , etc.

However, they also asked us in spanish if we had any drugs or armementos. We did not. But they tore our boat apart dong a right proper search. Everything was in order.

If , we had been foolish to have weapons and drugs on board, we would have been tossed in a mexican prison, and the boat confiscated. This is not TV, this is real life.

So for us, that Flare Gun did the job, and also it was at close range only a few feet and a center mass shot would have blown the sarape wearing pirate, thieving low life
off the boat and into Turtle Bay.

Factual and true incident, of standing our ground, with that old merchant marine very pistol. Looks a lot meaner that the orange plastic type.

We were there in Turtle Bay for a couple of days, before continuing of a few more hundred miles and clearing in to the USA in San Diego. One night there, and then on up to Los Angeles Harbor to the owners slip.

Do what you want, but everything worked out perfect for us.

We also like to avoid any problems in the first place, and stay clear of troubled waters and countries . We also lock up the boat when we leave, and secure all the hatches.

Again, that is just us.
Old 25-09-2020, 16:15   #261

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2 owners version #331

A big fire extinguisher I carried several sizes...a blast downwind will create a blinding choking white dust storm.
That was my weapon of choise across the Pacific and thru SE Asia..and when its empty it is a heavy weapon, also pepper spray for closer attacks
In Pirate areas I created a huge line netting on my stern of my Catamaran to slow down any unwanted boarded..never had an problems all boats we met were fisherman looking to trade, fish for smokes or alcohol.

Their were areas I wish I had a gun but I never had a reason to use one or show one.
Old 25-09-2020, 19:55   #262
AJA

Boat: Irwin 37' CCKetch (1974)

Honest men do not become dishonest because life throws them a curve ball.
Old 25-09-2020, 22:15   #263

If anyone actually wants audio of a big dog sounding cranky, remind me and I’ll record my dude next time he’s throwing a tantrum for being on a diet. (125lb American Bulldog, he does not agree w the vet that he should be a few pounds leaner.)

Ironically when he is ACTUALLY warning someone off he goes quiet, not loud - a very low ‘rrrrrrr’ and a very intent stare. But it carries.
Old 26-09-2020, 01:34   #264

Boat: 44 FP Cat & 45 Sea Ray motor yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
This is really the issue for me. How to judge intent? I was approached by a fast-moving Mexican panga near Banco Chinchorro. ......make an honest fisherman to take up the machete and become dishonest? Not that it's an excuse, but it's something I think about.
My point of reference is a country where crime is rife.
I too wish for a peaceful habitation, but it is a real world we live in.

I wish that every boat that approaches me is friend not foe. Because of the uncertainty of intent, maritime has established rules. Flying your flag is the initial reference point.
Then there is your personal virtual ring fence - anyone breaching my comfort area, will invoke my preparation phase. Obtain situational awareness, know what is around me and guesstimate time and point of contact. Readiness of weapons.

Rule of the sea is that you will not step onto another vessel without prior obtained "Ahoy captain, seeking permission to board vessel".

Not even the coast guard boards your vessel without prior radio contact. If anyone else enters my predefined space without prior contact, I prepare for the worst. My approach : you are a vicious mal-intent thieving vagabond, until you convinced me otherwise.

I'll rather feel sheepish for reading your good intentions wrongly, then being attacked and left decimated because I did not want to offend someone in being prepared.
Old 26-09-2020, 01:34   #265
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateFoxy View Post
If anyone actually wants audio of a big dog sounding cranky, remind me and I’ll record my dude next time he’s throwing a tantrum for being on a diet. (125lb American Bulldog, he does not agree w the vet that he should be a few pounds leaner.)

Ironically when he is ACTUALLY warning someone off he goes quiet, not loud - a very low ‘rrrrrrr’ and a very intent stare. But it carries.
Dogs are by far the best pirate deterrent in the Caribbean. People in the Caribbean, in general, are afraid of dogs.

Old 26-09-2020, 01:52   #266

Boat: 44 FP Cat & 45 Sea Ray motor yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by searenity38 View Post
I keep wasp & hornet spray. It has a 20 foot stream that makes it easy to aim. Getting hit in the face and eyes will not only disable the perp but it will result in some serious hospital time. I've also heard bear spray is very effective.

When we were in Bermuda we had to turn in our pistol flare gun.

Wow, taking your flares gun. Crazy ! Next time the idiots will take the fishing knives etc. But somehow the few pirates there are, have all that they need to commit their crimes.
Old 26-09-2020, 02:02   #267
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

I have not tried this approach, however, think it might be effective.

Instead of trying to stop pirates from boarding, imagine what they would think if they saw you wearing a full hazmat suit with breather and waved them to come aboard and requested a rescue.
Old 26-09-2020, 04:49   #268

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamme View Post
Speaking of common objects, how about trailing a couple of these in the water:

Attachment 224003
Never mind pirates, I fancy a few of those for busy anchorages.
Old 26-09-2020, 05:16   #269

Boat: Antigua 44

The Thunder B scratches an itch - non lethal, loud, but you may have some trouble explaining the parts that make up the Thunder B if it were discovered on your vessel. Here is a Thunder B -

Interestingly enough, you can make them yourself from common items no officials would ever perceive as a weapon -

They can be very loud and scare the crap out of people ... throw in the obligatory flare and spear guns aboard and call it a day. Maybe one of those lasers that mostly peaceful protestors use to blind police with - they seem to have some range to them (as they are successfully used on aircraft) and could be pointed at vessels approaching at a high rate of speed.

Don't make yourself crazy - it is almost always a fish monger or the fruit and vevetable man approaching your boat.
Old 26-09-2020, 06:04   #270

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

In my experience, this is who “pirates” usually are.

Common dbags who wait for opportunities to steal from you.

They nearly always prefer to board unoccupied boats and steal your stuff. Happened to me countless times. Inside the USA. Florida is a place full of them.

Of caught, they’re going to react just like the bad guy in this experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihuedooley77 View Post
this is not a door, or range practice video. Although the video was most instructive and made great points.

FENDING OF A PIRATE :

Actual pirate boarding in RURTLE BAY a small fishing village, pacific side of Baha, Calif, Mexico. In the middle of absolute no where.

We were delivering a near new Ericson ( race) sailing vessel from Cabo back up to Los Angeles, Harbor.

Erica and I, and three male sailing club members. I was getting paid, they wanted to come along and pay their own airfare to Cabo . They wanted the experience, and would help as crew. .

Turtle Bay is small fishing village about 4 days up from Cabo San Lucas, and vital for fresh water and diesel fuel, provisions, and just taking a break.

We had anchored, and the three beards, decided to go ashore to find a drink or ten, Erica and I stayed on board to square the vessel away, and catch up on the ships log.
and then just relax up in the cockpit, And to make sure we were not dragging anchor .

The three dudes rattled off in the dink, and I was below at the chart table, Erica was below squaring away the cabin, and our berth area.

I hear a loud Thump at our starboard quarter, I assumed it was the three coming back early because they could not find a bar. WRONG !

I looked out the starboard port light, and here was a scruffy, anglo dude, long hair, beard, scruffy dirty and wearing a sarape. He had shut down his dink, and had the painter in his hand and boarding our vessel.

THIS HAS TO DO WITH FLARE GUNS.

We have no weapons on board, that will get you a long stint in a Mexican Prison and the boat impounded, I told the crew, no guns, no drugs, and I would leave you ashore along the deserted mexican coast and good luck. Period, end of conversation.

Anyway, this thieving pirate had his dink painter in one hand and grabbing onto the starboard cockpit life line to haul himself up and on board.

The vessels owner , who had raced down from southern calif to cabo, did not have one of those plastic orange flare guns, he had a Very pistol that was made out of metal .

I grabbed the very pistol, loaded it, and went to the companion way ladder and the open companion way hatch.

I took a shooters stance and as he pulled himself up on the life line to board and tie up his dink. He saw me, and stopped dead fixed on the big round barrel of the Very Pistol . I clicked back the hammer. The Flare gun was pointed at his chest. ( center mass)

WHAT DO YOU WANT !

Startled , This thieving low life, now sees me and the very pistol, He stutters out, " Oh I was just coming over to see if you wanted to exchange dollars for pesos. "

"BULL ****, you saw the three guys in the dink head ashore, you thought the vessel had no crew on board, You came to steal our money, credit cards, pass ports, VHF radio, and anything else you wanted."

The metal barrel of the Very Pistol probably looked like a short hand held 12 gage shotgun.

I asked what boat he came from. He pointed, it was a beat to hell junker Cal-25, ripped sails, halyards clanking, hull and top sides scarred up, and totally unseaworthy.

GET OFF MY BOAT, AND IF I SEE YOU AGAIN WHILE WE ARE IN PORT,
I WILL KILL YOU !

And, I meant it. ( Never saw him again )

That ended that.

But, the next day, the Mexican Navy, in crisp uniforms, armed with assault rifles, boarded us to heck out our pass ports, vessel documentation, customs papers , etc.

However, they also asked us in spanish if we had any drugs or armementos. We did not. But they tore our boat apart dong a right proper search. Everything was in order.

If , we had been foolish to have weapons and drugs on board, we would have been tossed in a mexican prison, and the boat confiscated. This is not TV, this is real life.

So for us, that Flare Gun did the job, and also it was at close range only a few feet and a center mass shot would have blown the sarape wearing pirate, thieving low life
off the boat and into Turtle Bay.

Factual and true incident, of standing our ground, with that old merchant marine very pistol. Looks a lot meaner that the orange plastic type.

We were there in Turtle Bay for a couple of days, before continuing of a few more hundred miles and clearing in to the USA in San Diego. One night there, and then on up to Los Angeles Harbor to the owners slip.

Do what you want, but everything worked out perfect for us.

We also like to avoid any problems in the first place, and stay clear of troubled waters and countries . We also lock up the boat when we leave, and secure all the hatches.

Again, that is just us.
Closed Thread

Tags
boat