Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2016, 13:48   #16
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Re: Chasing Bubbles - documentary

Good production values compared to most sailing videos, TopherTopher. Nice work!
Old 26-09-2016, 13:56   #17

Boat: Pearson 367

They only made 40 boats and many were kits. They don't hit the market that often so it's hard to say what the market is. But there are several boats I'd choose which are in better condition and significantly less.

None the less, congrats on the release Topher.
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 14:17   #18

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopherTopher View Post
"Bubbles" was a Fast Passage 39' In my limited research making the movie, they often fetch upwards of $100,000.
But on of the sailors mentioned it had mold and cockroaches. 100,000 would be for top condition
I think 70 was a rip off for barely "not derelict"in
Old 26-09-2016, 14:21   #19

Boat: Pearson 367

Quote:
"I've got to be the worst sailor to every sail around the world and make it"
That is fine when you are by yourself, (which he didn't do) but when other peoples lives are at risk as well you need to protect them. What Alex did bordered on negligence.
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2016, 11:12   #20

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCoolDave View Post
That is fine when you are by yourself, (which he didn't do) but when other peoples lives are at risk as well you need to protect them. What Alex did bordered on negligence.
I agree it's was 1.5 hr video on what not to do. He abused his ship and crew and can't believe he didn't kill someone. I can't believe Delos has got behind pushing it so hard and of course since they like it so will all the Delos fans etc. why I think the leave it all behind and follow a dream thing is great he was without question the worst Capt. of all time. He kept taking on people as crew who didn't know better it was just a bad deal all the way around.
SV.Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2016, 12:30   #21

Boat: C&C, 27 Mark V

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV.Maverick View Post
I agree it's was 1.5 hr video on what not to do. He abused his ship and crew and can't believe he didn't kill someone. I can't believe Delos has got behind pushing it so hard and of course since they like it so will all the Delos fans etc. why I think the leave it all behind and follow a dream thing is great he was without question the worst Capt. of all time. He kept taking on people as crew who didn't know better it was just a bad deal all the way around.
I'm trying to piece together your sentence structure here, but what I'm getting is that you felt this piece - a documentary about someone's life - was some kind of an instuctional video. Its not. Its just a story. A true story, but a story nonetheless. A story about a young guy who believed in freedom, had guts, and struggled with some stuff. Like everyone does.
Its about dreams and running after fleeting ideas.
Its not black and white.
Thanks for taking the time to watch, and consider it. Since you did watch the film, and took the time to post about it, I hope you gleaned something else (lots of messages in there) besides "what not to do"
TopherTopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 10:37   #22

Quote:
I'm trying to piece together your sentence structure here, but what I'm getting is that you felt this piece - a documentary about someone's life - was some kind of an instuctional video. Its not. Its just a story. A true story, but a story nonetheless. A story about a young guy who believed in freedom, had guts, and struggled with some stuff. Like everyone does.
Its about dreams and running after fleeting ideas.
Its not black and white.
Thanks for taking the time to watch, and consider it. Since you did watch the film, and took the time to post about it, I hope you gleaned something else (lots of messages in there) besides "what not to do"
I thought your story was inspiring, good job. My wife and I watched it a few nights ago.

This is my first post here at CF, and he reminded me of myself back 20 or so years ago. I have wanted to get on a boat and not look back for years. Now that my finances and time will allow after the next 5 years, kids off to school, investments should pay off, etc, I will have the opportunity to prepare to do just that, but much safer.

Thanks again for the inspiration!
Byrdman
Byrdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 06:39   #23

Wife and I watched this last night. We really enjoyed it. It's really inspiring to see someone actualize their dreams and go for it. His ability to relate to people from all walks of life and cultures is quite incredible. It seems like his life ended doing what he loved. Here's to Alex and to the rest of us that we may be so lucky.
CroMacster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 17:06   #24

Boat: Currently boatless

Loved the movie. For me, it is one of those classic sailing stories which are fascinating to watch but make me very glad I was not part of - I think most classic sailing tales are like this. We like to read about bare bones discomfort, cockroaches, typhoid and we like to read about non-stop partying and risk taking, but only a small subset of people would actually be happy living that life. Not me, but that is what makes the window into his cruise so interesting to me. I get to see a different way that I will never otherwise experience.

And yeah, I know it was a one-off comment by a single person but the "most cruisers sail non-stop" was a bit weird and holier-than-thou. Felt like it was a comment made by someone who wasn't part of the cruising community, and didn't know better, but they were.
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 17:39   #25

Boat: Grand Soleil 46.3
Re: An interesting documnetary thats worth a watch - Chasing Bubbles

I loved it. He and delos were my biggest inspiration. I sold everything and sailed 7000 miles for a year going to south America and back with not much more experience then him. Great story, and I'm glad I found his videos. Without guys like him, we would all be scared straight by the arm chairs experts on the Internet telling us all the reasons we're not equipped to go.

Sent from my SM-P550 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

-Jedi master Yoda
natraps116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 19:12   #26

Boat: Vancouver 27

Loved it. Thanks for sharing. The bits about reintegration after the journey..the kind of "well, now wtf do I do.." were particularly thoughtful and gave the story a real dose of honesty.

You gotta find contentment and value at some point on it's own merits, because the market for affordable spaceships is not yet viable.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2016, 09:47   #27

Boat: C&C, 27 Mark V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
And yeah, I know it was a one-off comment by a single person but the "most cruisers sail non-stop" was a bit weird and holier-than-thou. Felt like it was a comment made by someone who wasn't part of the cruising community, and didn't know better, but they were.
Yeah I've wondered the same thing - I think must have been talking about sailors like Bernard Moitissier, and the Sunday Times Golden Globe Race types.

Thanks so much for watching Chasing Bubbles. I'm so glad is finding an audience, albeit a small one.
TopherTopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2016, 10:25   #28

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Last weekend I met a "cruising" couple who'd quit their jobs and had just completed the very first leg of their adventure- a 74 mile sail. They had never before done anything more than day sailing- as in, not even sailed to the nearest port.

I say go for it. With any luck in a month they'll be in the Carib, while my boat is on the hard and I'm sitting in an office.

I've watched part of the movie and look forward to the rest. Who doesn't love a free sailing video, and one so well produced?
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 13:31   #29
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Very good video. Very good story. Tragic Ending.

Some people live life so fully, that even a short life is special. Alex made his journey of three years special for himself and for his crew. That is an achievement, and admirable.

Well done!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 13:46   #30

Boat: Santana2023

I'm all about adventure, and we all started somewhere but, holy hell. Didn't even know to use a stopper knot or how to maneuver just days before a passage? Again, we all needed to learn but usually people without a mentor tend to read up on sailing before planning to hit the seas. I'm amazed their main held up with how reefed it.
DivingOtter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men