Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2020, 13:49   #16
cruiser

Re: Cannabis and seasickness - What we know now.

I don't know if it helps seasickness although there is a lengthy history of effective use of best CBD pills in controlling nausea for people. Never tried it personnaly though.
Sam8989 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 16-02-2020, 22:07   #17

Boat: Volkscruiser

I completely agree with Kenomac.
I have been on a trawler once in rough weather and a seasick crew member decided to spark up a huge doobie. It did take long before he was a liability and not an asset onboard. This is 31 years ago and I still clearly remember him being thrown across the galley and colliding with a table. He ended up with a dinner plate size bruise and lucky not to break anything. Not sure if the drugs really helped him at all. I would loved to have seen his reaction time if we had sunk!
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 17-05-2020, 12:29   #18

I don't get seasick easily but if it's rough enough, I'll take a 1/2 dose of Benadryl and some ginger capsules (or candied ginger, 'real' ginger ale, etc) to make sure it doesn't creep up on me.

Ginger does wonders for settling the stomach so that alone may be enough to get you through.
Wells is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 17-05-2020, 12:37   #19

There is a huge difference between taking the edge off and stupid stoned.

I like weed here and there, but never tried it while seasick - as I am the ‘captain’. Might give a suggestion to my wife next time we are in some bad weather.
two-rocks is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 17-05-2020, 12:48   #20

If you want to try ginger ale, may I suggest Vernor's ginger ale. My favorite by far and nothing like Schweppes or Canada Dry, which barely taste of ginger.

Not available everywhere but can be found in Michigan, Florida, Louisiana and other places. My favorite cocktail is what we call a Babe Ruth: R&R whiskey (or Crown if you prefer to pay more), Vernor's and lemon. Delicious.
Bullshooter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 17-05-2020, 14:09   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullshooter View Post
If you want to try ginger ale, may I suggest Vernor's ginger ale. My favorite by far and nothing like Schweppes or Canada Dry, which barely taste of ginger.

Not available everywhere but can be found in Michigan, Florida, Louisiana and other places. My favorite cocktail is what we call a Babe Ruth: R&R whiskey (or Crown if you prefer to pay more), Vernor's and lemon. Delicious.
homemade ginger beer is best .if you are after the stomach calming effects .
Old 17-05-2020, 18:00   #22

You would be crazy to have drugs or dopeheads onboard

If a person can’t get over seasickness the normal way they shouldn’t be on boats
slug is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 20-05-2020, 12:07   #23

Boat: Southerly 57

Haters gonna hate, and be self righteous about it. Medical is legal in the US in more states than not. Lots of help for some. Cancer, seizures, etc. With a concentration on the CBD side the “high” effect is less. Of course, the comparisons to alcohol are generally all true, yet western countries are okay with that, and most other countries too.
Belezar is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 18-02-2021, 12:46   #24

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

Cannabis in all forms will be legalized in all states and also in the federal code within a decade. Just like in Canada. This is an issue that cuts across the traditional political boundaries, lots of my redneck friends have been smoking since the ‘60’s along with their kids and grandchildren. They also are big beer enthusiasts too! Lots of people whose grandparents kept a still up the hollow have a grow patch up there today.

Let’s face it: if you are cleaning other people’s houses or working at McDonalds you need a little help to face another day at a **** job. Going out and burning one in the parking lot of the Amazon warehouse before your shift is one inexpensive way to do just that.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 18-02-2021, 22:55   #25

Boat: SUN MAID 20

I don't often get seasick, so haven't tried any remedies.

My wife suffers horribly.
Once she bought an acupressure band at the marina shop, & started puking halfway along the floating wharf. Actually worse than usual.

Another time she took the ginger remedy, & spent a few hours enjoying ginger flavoured vomit. Didn't give that a second try.
silkie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 19-02-2021, 09:15   #26

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 34

wow, some pretty archaic perspectives here. May I suggest a 10:1 cbd:thc sublingual tincture or similar. Possible to just use CBD in areas where cannabis is not legal. Cannabis can be used in ways that do not intoxicate and legalitites surrounding it are being relaxed more every year.
poopship is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 19-02-2021, 17:34   #27

Boat: Jeanneau 41 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belezar View Post
Haters gonna hate, and be self righteous about it. Medical is legal in the US in more states than not. Lots of help for some. Cancer, seizures, etc. With a concentration on the CBD side the “high” effect is less. Of course, the comparisons to alcohol are generally all true, yet western countries are okay with that, and most other countries too.
First, no bone to pick, I am a libertarian so as far I am concern anyone should be able to do anything as long as it does not harm anyone else. Easier is theory than practice.
First, in the US the use and possession of cannabis is illegal for any reason. and federal laws always supersedes any state laws. So if the Coast Guard catches you ...no state law is is going to save you. Obviously, some law enforcement authority can simply look the other way.
Second, the issue of cannabis have been so politicized to make it acceptable and legal that nobody really knows how beneficial or harmful it is. I am a healthcare provider for almost every remedy the mj can cure I can find many others that are markedly better including treatment for oncology patient with nausea...with rare exceptions..
Third, where I live in California, many dispensaries had to be closed for illegal activities, and increased crime in the surrounding areas, and proven to be gateway drugs to young people.
That said ... I am for legalizing this stuff nationwide, and taxing it like alcohol and like growing at home for personal consumption. But lets not kid ourselves, what started as medical benefits was just a front to legalize it and make it a recreational drug. Furthermore, the in most cases the medical benefits are grossly exaggerated to make it an acceptable and legal product like alcohol.
Lastly, look at the state of Oregon in which almost any drug is considered okay. Does anyone here think that with the addiction epidemic that we have that this is going to make things better? Your response may be different if you are a single male vs parents of young children and teenagers.
Milton Freedman Nobel prize winner in economics (book Free to Choose) would say yes, legalize it. His argument is that my doing so the price would come down as well as all drug related crime. I wish I had the right answer.
Further disclosure, I have never used any illegal drugs (not going to jeopardize my professional license) but I have recommended mj to some patients with anxiety including my own mother in law.

IMHO

Abe
sailingabe41ds is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 19-02-2021, 17:51   #28

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Legal in Canada, I carry the red pill/indica and the blue pill/sativa for those on my boat that need it, by the way ALWAYS take the red pill 😉

It works well, as the operator I don’t touch anything until the anchor is down.....

Many years ago on a fisheries research vessel, pot was commonly smoked on the back deck by the crew when the SEaster kicked up, I remember once we couldn’t turn back to port for cover due to 35+ foot seas, half the seamen spent off watch time on the back deck, this on a 180ft boat.....

It works and I advise to carry it for your crew when inshore and in Canada 🇨🇦, don’t care what others think.....
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 19-02-2021, 18:39   #29

Boat: Grampian 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
there used to be a lil green book named lil green book of seasickness. was excellent describing best antiseasickness methods. they discussed cannabis as the best antiseasickness remedy on planet. good works...
cannabis has been used for a few decades as an anti emetic fro cancer patients, generally end stage folks.
i see no reason why the medication should not be used as a remedy if needed.
is a good topic for study.
Been wondering why I don't suffer from it. Case solved me thinks.
Nauticus is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 20-02-2021, 13:38   #30
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

As a long time cannabis smoker, and sailor, I can attest, from personal experience.
Smoking high potency cannabis does not help me with seasickness and in fact can make it worse. I can not attest to CBD. I find that the inebrious effects of over the counter seasickness meds (Bonine, Dramamine) are more debilitating and longer lasting than those of cannabis. Regular cannabis partakers may actually become more alert under the influence. It is better to never offer cannabis to inexperienced users (especially those who are feeling discomfort aboard), it is likely to make the situation much worse. I think that spending time imbibing underway (especially down below in the cabin with a beer) during day sails can be an excellent anti seasickness training aid. (bring a few sober teenagers along to operate the boat) Being able to overcome hindrances to your mental and physical faculties is an important skill for shorthanded sailing. If you are of the stick in the mud type, then maybe better for you to just ignore this thread.
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote Reply