Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2020, 11:56   #16

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)
Re: Business must be booming with certain brokers in the U.K.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzmeyer View Post
In case facts are an issue here is a quote from a USA Today article:
"Total new boat sales – from personal watercraft to yachts – were in May the highest in a decade, and June was strong as well, reports the National Marine Manufacturers Association,based on the latest sales figures available" Consistent with my experience. Sold two boats since June, the latter without even getting it listed. The broker said he just emailed some acquaintances. Sold for asking price. Lost out on two boats when my full price offer was rejected because they had already accepted a full price offer. Just landed a new boat coming out of the factory that the buyer had fallen out. Got a decent price, but not great.
Again, the numbers from the National Marine Manufacturers Association includes ANY watercraft; that's anything from a jet ski, small fishing boat etc. that make at least 95% of the numbers reported here. These have nothing to do with cruising boats as discussed here.
Yes, many people bought small crafts as they couldn't go anywhere and vacation this summer, replacing the few thousands in cost with a boat but no one purchase a cruising sail or motorboat just like that.
But many brokers always love to inflate the market with this hot air... usually, all the way to getting out of business.

Real sailors don't fall into this trap
Old 09-09-2020, 12:36   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeValency View Post
Another baseless claim of course...

There were high sales early in the summer with small motor boats and jet skies (these are included in the industry records for "boats").
And your claim has merit in fact?? I agree, I'm only going by what brokers and surveyors are telling me. Apparently your resources are either better or more honest than the folks I talk to.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 12:59   #18

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullshooter View Post
It seems to me that before I ever had a broker to sell my boat for me, I would put in a call to the broker as a buyer and ask about a boat he is listed for. If he made no reasonable effort to sell the boat, I certainly would not list my boat with him.
Great idea. There are a few exceptionally good brokers out there but as in all industries they are the exception.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote