Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2020, 11:14   #1

Boat for Florida Keys

Hello,
I have an unusual situation, due to my age & military service, I have the opportunity to live in the Florida Keys for 3 years.
I am looking for a boat to live on, Scuba dive from and fish a little bit.
I have lots of experience with RV life, and I fully expect the boat life to have even more of the challenges that come with living in/on anything small. That being said, what type of boat would you recommend for living on and Scuba, and traveling the Caribbean, Not really interested in crossing the Atlantic. I am a passable mechanic, and so far I have been looking at Trawlers, Motorsailers, and the like. Price Range 100-250K

Thank you all.
Forklord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2020, 12:14   #2

Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Re: Boat for Florida Keys

My first impression is you may wanna eliminate travel to the Caribbean. This still leaves the Keys and Bahamas which is a very big place you will not be able to completely visit in three years. The first consideration in any boat that will be cruising is ground tackle and anchoring in the Keys and Bahamas is much different than in most of the Caribbean; much shallower and sand rather than rock bottom.

Another big consideration is how easy it is get on and off the boat, especially if you are diving. This usually means a nice big sugar scoop with a solid boarding ladder. Storing tanks for SCUBA may turn into a bigger deal than you first think. Even for a weekend trip you may be doing two or three dives a day which means at least six tanks (for you and a buddy) and maybe more depending on the number of divers.

Then there are also the usual considerations for a live aboard cruising boat. I would look at one of the power cats. Here is a link to start you off; but don't limit your self to these there are others.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2020, 12:23   #3

Good points by tomfl. I will emphasize the comment about shallow water in the Keys (also in the Bahamas, and the west coast of Florida). As such, a primary consideration needs to be a reasonably shallow draft. Personally, I would set 5' as the absolute maximum, and less would be better.

Good luck.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2020, 12:29   #4

Island Packet??

You might struggle on the budget for a large one, but drawing 5 foot 3, it was desgned for the Keys and we dive off the sugar scope.

Great live-a-board.
Ip485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2020, 12:45   #5

Thanks, I agree about the storage needs
Old 17-03-2020, 03:53   #6

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forklord View Post
Hello,
I have an unusual situation, due to my age & military service, I have the opportunity to live in the Florida Keys for 3 years.
I am looking for a boat to live on, Scuba dive from and fish a little bit.
I have lots of experience with RV life, and I fully expect the boat life to have even more of the challenges that come with living in/on anything small. That being said, what type of boat would you recommend for living on and Scuba, and traveling the Caribbean, Not really interested in crossing the Atlantic. I am a passable mechanic, and so far I have been looking at Trawlers, Motorsailers, and the like. Price Range 100-250K

Thanks for your service.

If you mean you're still in, then you'll likely find living aboard at a marina much more convenient than anchored or on a mooring ball. That in turn suggests you find likely marinas first. If you qualify for places like Boca Chica, etc., that could help a lot.

If you have a preference for power over sail, you might have a look at trawlerforum.com (sister site). Discussion isn't actually limited to trawlers.

In the grand scheme of powerboats, generally aft cabin motor yachts (and cockpit motor yachts) offer the most interior space, followed by "trawlers" (which are more of a concept than an actual description), then sedan bridges/sport bridges, then sportfishers/convertibles. Usable cockpit space -- probably useful for dive stuff -- generally runs those in reverse order.

-Chris
Old 17-03-2020, 08:29   #7

If Scuba is one of the primary purposes of your chosen vessel, you should highly consider a place to put a scuba compressor. Otherwise your diving will be limited to the number of tanks you want to drag along with you. If you want to try remote diving, tank fills become problematic at best requiring a return to a port that is capable of filling your tanks.
woodboy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2020, 08:42   #8

Keys and Bahamas, diving and fishing: Small diesel trawler.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2020, 08:53   #9

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodboy12 View Post
If Scuba is one of the primary purposes of your chosen vessel, you should highly consider a place to put a scuba compressor. Otherwise your diving will be limited to the number of tanks you want to drag along with you. If you want to try remote diving, tank fills become problematic at best requiring a return to a port that is capable of filling your tanks.
While I get the attraction of a compressor the problem is the high cost and skills needed to use one. Total cost for one is probably around $US10,000 if you include both the compressor, installation, and increased power demand needed. Then you have to include filters and an increased skill set to run the thing.

Not saying it can't be done, just that it is not plug and play. My solution has been a good hookah set up. Mine has two pony tanks and two 200 foot lines with first and second stage regulators. Fairly easy to dive with two peeps in 30 foot of water; and there are plenty of places to dive at that depth that are quite interesting.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2020, 08:54   #10

In your situation, I'd be thinking trawler.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2020, 09:29   #11

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

Catalina 22 is a cheap option. They're generally easy to sell later, and it can also be kept on a trailer - saving all kinds of costs. The swing keel is also perfect for the keys. It's a big little boat. Truthfully, the wind, water, sun and diving is the same - no matter what you're floating on.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2020, 09:44   #12

If you have military credentials you can benefit from the Recreational opportunity's at Sigbee park on Key West , Naval Station. Save you a little money
mayberrybfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2020, 09:52   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
While I get the attraction of a compressor the problem is the high cost and skills needed to use one. Total cost for one is probably around $US10,000 if you include both the compressor, installation, and increased power demand needed. Then you have to include filters and an increased skill set to run the thing.

Not saying it can't be done, just that it is not plug and play. My solution has been a good hookah set up. Mine has two pony tanks and two 200 foot lines with first and second stage regulators. Fairly easy to dive with two peeps in 30 foot of water; and there are plenty of places to dive at that depth that are quite interesting.
You are absolutely correct about the high power demands, complexity ect of a full size scuba compressor.

A quick google search comes up with some portable scuba compressors that are not cheap, but won’t break the bank. Choices are 110v, gas or diesel.

https://www.max-air.com/

https://www.nuvair.com/nuvair-nomad-...QaAgvREALw_wcB
woodboy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2020, 10:00   #14

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

It may be that you could get something at NAS Key West. Friends of mine were very happy at the price they paid there, but they were in and out, not liveaboard, so it might be different for you.

Good luck!
Old 17-03-2020, 10:38   #15

I agree! thanks!

Tags
boat, florida, florida keys