Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2020, 10:39   #16

Re: Boat for Florida Keys

Thank you, I did not know about that
Forklord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2020, 10:43   #17

Boat: CLC Skerry

Ditto on the hookah compressor! I spent many hours diving reefs in the keys with one rigged up with extra fuel, so we could stay down 3-4 hours. No tanks, no refills, just endless hours of diving for just $2,500-3,000 (for a new one). Just watch your depth and time, and don't get into a decompression situation.
rhubstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2020, 10:49   #18

Thanks for the replies, this is exactly the type of info I need.
Forklord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2020, 11:18   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forklord View Post
Hello,
I have an unusual situation, due to my age & military service, I have the opportunity to live in the Florida Keys for 3 years.
I am looking for a boat to live on, Scuba dive from and fish a little bit.
I have lots of experience with RV life, and I fully expect the boat life to have even more of the challenges that come with living in/on anything small. That being said, what type of boat would you recommend for living on and Scuba, and traveling the Caribbean, Not really interested in crossing the Atlantic. I am a passable mechanic, and so far I have been looking at Trawlers, Motorsailers, and the like. Price Range 100-250K

Thank you all.
Take a look at this boat I just listed .
39'French Shoal Draft Sailboat 1999.
I purchased this boat for your purpose .
She an go in 3 feet of water and is loaded and beautiful to live on .
Best Regards
Kim Knight 843 9985405
KimAKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2020, 11:21   #20

You may want to look at a Ranger Tug, it’s trailerable,, livable, dive able, diesel, check out site. I have taken my R27 to Alaska, canals of Canada, Lake Michigan, used as a camper when on the road.

In shallow waters to 40 feet I use a Brownie Third Lung for air, it’s a portable rig, either on the boat or in the dinghy. I’ve had it for over 20 years, used a lot iin the Bahamas.
Ranger2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2020, 11:39   #21

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forklord View Post
Hello,
I have an unusual situation, due to my age & military service, I have the opportunity to live in the Florida Keys for 3 years.
I am looking for a boat to live on, Scuba dive from and fish a little bit.
I have lots of experience with RV life, and I fully expect the boat life to have even more of the challenges that come with living in/on anything small. That being said, what type of boat would you recommend for living on and Scuba, and traveling the Caribbean, Not really interested in crossing the Atlantic. I am a passable mechanic, and so far I have been looking at Trawlers, Motorsailers, and the like. Price Range 100-250K

Thank you all.
You didn't mention if you plan to have anybody with you on board, but your budget seems to be in excess of what you really need to just do the Keys and the Bahamas. I'd get a smallish catamaran for the shallow draft and space to comfortably live aboard. I've seen those Gemini 34' cats for as cheap as $20,000 in pretty good shape. I'd be leary about crossing oceans in one of these (though people have done it). For the Bahamas it's all you'd need and for about $4,000 you can get a small dive compressor which would easily pay for itself over three years and you wouldn't be tied to dive shops. Maybe add an autopilot even though most of your sailing would be day trips. For water you'd need to do catchment (as water makers are quite expensive (though with your budget, you could easily install one). But you'll probably find yourself needing to go into marinas for pump out and diesel so you could always fill your water tank then.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2020, 20:00   #22

Boat: Shannon Shoalsailer

You might consider a Shannon Shoalsailer. It's a wide beam, shallow draft boat perfect for Bahamas and Keys skinny waters. We are biased as owners, but we enjoy cruising the Keys a few months each year. Happens that a very nice 35 with a powerful diesel is for sale in St Pete. Owners are in Marathon, where the boat was berthed for many years. It might be tight for live-aboard, but you seem to be aware of the prospect. Email for details or to discuss if you like.

rmc@shellpointer.com
www.shoalsailer32.blogspot.com
Bay Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2020, 20:29   #23

Boat: PDQ 41

Have you considered a PDQ 34, power cat with shallow draft and very well laid out for a liveaboard? There are a number for sale currently in your price range.
Best,
Maldwin
Maldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2020, 17:44   #24

Boat: Robt Beebe Passagemaker 49-10 in steel

Take a look at www.mvmojo.com
mvmojo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, florida, florida keys