Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2020, 20:27   #46

Boat: Bertram 58
Re: Boat Business - What Type to Start?

What started as way to pay bills has now become a full time job, although I'm not a commercial diver only Padi certified. All the work I do is within 10m.

A lot of business seem to think just cos you have a boat you can afford high prices.
I charge $USD 35 an hour with a minimum of two hours. Generally doing 1 to 2 boats a day with a dive friend.
As I am semiretired this is still a way to pay some bills but its also enough to live a modest life, here in Singapore at least.
I just cleaned a 58metre superyacht yesterday with 3 other divers. It a good way to keep fit too.
RamNemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2020, 20:35   #47
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamNemesis View Post
What started as way to pay bills has now become a full time job...
Are you a member of the hull cleaners group on Facebook? 2000 professional hull divers discussing tips, tricks, rants, raves etc. Best (and only) resource of its kind for our industry.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2020, 00:00   #48

Boat: Boreal 52

I always admired the entrepreneurial spirit of the guys who owned the head pumpout boat in Roche Harbor in the San Juans. Called the Phecal Phreaks, they ran a mobile pumpout service for all of the liveaboards. Just took a skiff, a tank, and a pump, and Bob's your uncle! (and a place to dump the poo, along with a place for a hot shower).

I'm guessing they did ok, as they became an icon in the area. May not be glamorous, but it filled a need!!!
svbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2020, 07:31   #49
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by svbravo View Post
I always admired the entrepreneurial spirit of the guys who owned the head pumpout boat in Roche Harbor in the San Juans. Called the Phecal Phreaks...
My pumpout service was called "Head Honcho." Never been so glad to sell a business in my life.
Old 30-09-2020, 02:30   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamber View Post
Instead of sailing the world I am thinking about instead opening up a boat business. Then instead of my hobby costing me money I would make money. Or at least lose less.....
Any ideas for a business I did not mention?
I think you can get the best overview about the business at a medium charter company.
There you have to deal with all areas. Many different boats, all craftsmen, all processes with authorities, with new and used boats, buying and selling, etc.
The documentation business could perhaps be done on the side in the beginning. It would be important that you arrange a job rotation with the boss so that you can really get into all areas.
fair wind from Vienna
Rudi
Canderes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2020, 19:23   #51

Boat: Oceanis 38 11.5m
Quote:
Originally Posted by zamber View Post
.....The problem with starting a boat detailing business is I would not learn much.....
I got a quote for $400 USD to detail my 38' sailboat...in México!!! For that kind of coin, you'd be able to hire a mentor to teach you anything you want to know. Don't box yourself into pre-conceived notions. Good luck
surf_km55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2021, 14:52   #52
cruiser

I don't think it's a good time to start a business. Now it is very difficult for any business. I don't see the point in starting a business that isn't traded through coronavirus. You just lose even more. But there are strong businesses that survive the movement use different marketing tools like US business latitude & longitude. I hope that all this will finally end and we will gradually develop again.
jjuliajul11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2021, 15:12   #53
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjuliajul11 View Post
I don't think it's a good time to start a business. Now it is very difficult for any business.

I’m in the hull cleaning business and honestly, business has never been better. I think people see boating as an excellent socially distanced activity and if it weren’t for some postponed or cancelled races and regattas, I wouldn’t even know there was a pandemic going on (from a busyness perspective.)
Old 26-01-2021, 17:32   #54

Boat: Grampian 26

Become an expert at going to the top of a 60 ft mast. They are in high demand and once you're up there most of the work is visual. Mind you only sick people like me actually like it. I'm not a big fan of heights which is exactly why I look for opportunities. Shouldn't be hard to make decent cash just on volume. Most people offer plenty to NOT have to go up and inspect the physical condition of whatever is in question up there.

Fair winds and definitely don't look down[emoji44]
Nauticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2021, 18:17   #55
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

I know the majority of the marine tradesmen in Ontario and they are all in pretty much the same situation i.e. out of about 35 Marine Electricians on Lake Ontario, six of them that are actually highly qualified, reliable and know what they are doing making $120-130/hr. and turn away more business than they can take. Marine canvas - the few really good ones are booked into July. The gelcoat artists - the few really good ones work constantly. Surveyors - there are about 250 of them with 8 or 9 doing the majority of the business

The rest of them scramble for the leftovers at cut rate prices working a couple or 3 days a week for 6 months of the year. It doesn't sound to me like you're willing to put in the cost, time, effort to be one of the really good ... and properly qualified ones at any marine endeavour.

I guess it's like any other industry, take your average realty office with 20 agents, two of them will be making 80% of the money and having a blast

Tags
boat