Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2017, 20:03   #76
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Are you a Pacific Coast Sailor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Absolutely beautiful weather in the Santa Barbara Channel lately for sailing and just poking along around the islands.
Don now you are just being mean to us of more northern latitudes.
Old 31-07-2017, 20:56   #77

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingriki View Post
Will never forget the laughing at the dive shop in Monterey when we asked where the abs were....!

Just watched a good show on the growing great white population off the coast here. Five fold increase in shark attacks on the sea lions in the channel islands in 4 years. Helicopters telling swimmers on the beaches of SoCal to exit the water as they were near several great whites....! No more diving down there for me.
Uh-oh, I was just snorkeling with my daughter out there last week. That's ok, there were about 400 kayakers out there too acting as decoys, or bait, for us, so I felt safe! So far still no issues at the islands that I know of, though there have been a few on the coast.

It was gratifying to see some sea stars out there, since that mystery illness swept through them. Rangers said they thought that disease had run its course, (we hope.) And we did see one black abalone without trying too hard, so that too is a bit of good news, since nearly all the abs were wiped out by that infection 30 years ago or so. There were a lot of turban snails, sea hares and the ubiquitous little purple urchins that leave a moonscape in their wake. The abs will have a better chance when those numbers are brought down by natural predation, if it ever shows up.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 20:58   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Don now you are just being mean to us of more northern latitudes.
Hey, I know the beautiful warm days you guys get up there too! Pretty hard to beat Puget Sound, San Juans, and all, for spectacular beauty!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 31-07-2017, 21:09   #79

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Your bio says you are in sidney is that austrailia? If so you would be either in the indian ocean or in the southern ocean.
Mate, you should look at a chart before you post! Sydney is in New South Wales, on the east coast of Australia. The Indian ocean laps the shores of the WEST coast of Australia, and the Southern Ocean is south of Tasmania, some 600+ miles south of Sydney. Sydney, of course, lies on the shores of the South pacific ocean, sometimes also known as the Tasman Sea.

And no, the Sydney harbour Bridge does not link Oz with New Zealand as one misinformed landlubber we met believed.

Jim
Old 31-07-2017, 21:51   #80
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Mate, you should look at a chart before you post! Sydney is in New South Wales, on the east coast of Australia. The Indian ocean laps the shores of the WEST coast of Australia, and the Southern Ocean is south of Tasmania, some 600+ miles south of Sydney. Sydney, of course, lies on the shores of the South pacific ocean, sometimes also known as the Tasman Sea.

And no, the Sydney harbour Bridge does not link Oz with New Zealand as one misinformed landlubber we met believed.

Jim
Jim thanks for the refresher I hadnt been in those waters for over 25 years. His bio just said that they had just anchored there . Not that it was their home grounds.
Old 31-07-2017, 21:54   #81
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Hey, I know the beautiful warm days you guys get up there too! Pretty hard to beat Puget Sound, San Juans, and all, for spectacular beauty!
It has been over 80 for many days now and going close to tripple digits this week and h ed re any above about75 is considerd almost dibitating heat
Old 01-08-2017, 09:44   #82
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

lately weather has been hotter in pnw than in mazatlan, where we have only had mebbe 100f once. we should have been having 110 already but...
summer is here, however, so that sweet spring weather we have been loving has turned more towards the hot n humid summer we all know and melt in.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 09:56   #83
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
lately weather has been hotter in pnw than in mazatlan, where we have only had mebbe 100f once. we should have been having 110 already but...
summer is here, however, so that sweet spring weather we have been loving has turned more towards the hot n humid summer we all know and melt in.
Zee here we dont even see 90° more than a couple days a year. They are predicting possible triple digit temps for tommorrow and have only seen that 3 times in recorded meteorological history here in seattle area at 48° north.
Old 28-06-2019, 17:33   #84

So just an update from the the Santa Barbara Channel; if anyone is cruising through or around the area, the last couple of days were like Wild Kingdom out there. On a rhumb line from Santa Barbara to Diablo Point on Santa Cruz Island, about in the middle of the channel, we came across countless common dolphins, sea birds, sea lions and then at least 9 Humpback Whales (one which surfaced about 20 yards from the boat) all feeding on some massive area of something.. never did see what it was. There were no bubble rings and whales converging on bait balls, just a widespread feeding frenzy which also included the whales breaching and tail slapping. It was an amazing site, one that, for those who are in the area, I highly recommend ya get out there an see it! And then out at the islands, the pelicans were enjoying their own feeding frenzy at dusk and it went on into the darkness! Anybody know HOW pelicans can see in the dark well enough to dive from 40 or 50 feet up and come up with a fish? (and the bioluminescence wasn't out yet.) Just amazing stuff...
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 29-06-2019, 00:07   #85

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
So just an update from the the Santa Barbara Channel; if anyone is cruising through or around the area, the last couple of days were like Wild Kingdom out there. On a rhumb line from Santa Barbara to Diablo Point on Santa Cruz Island, about in the middle of the channel, we came across countless common dolphins, sea birds, sea lions and then at least 9 Humpback Whales (one which surfaced about 20 yards from the boat) all feeding on some massive area of something.. never did see what it was. There were no bubble rings and whales converging on bait balls, just a widespread feeding frenzy which also included the whales breaching and tail slapping. It was an amazing site, one that, for those who are in the area, I highly recommend ya get out there an see it! And then out at the islands, the pelicans were enjoying their own feeding frenzy at dusk and it went on into the darkness! Anybody know HOW pelicans can see in the dark well enough to dive from 40 or 50 feet up and come up with a fish? (and the bioluminescence wasn't out yet.) Just amazing stuff...
Sounds super, Don, like kyou all had a very nice time. Good on yez all.

Ann
Old 08-07-2019, 10:39   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Sounds super, Don, like kyou all had a very nice time. Good on yez all.

Ann
Thanks Ann!
So I know I asked this in another thread, but perhaps someone following this thread may know. I am curious if anyone here has or knows someone who has anchored at Point Sur, in the lee at the base of the cliff below the lighthouse? And if so, how was it?

The only time I was by there I passed it all by pretty far offshore and one of these days I'd really like to poke along up the coast checking out the little coves the fishermen use between San Simeon and Monterey, during the settled summer weather of course.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 12-02-2020, 21:10   #87

If you are planning a west coast of North America trip, or have done it and have some tips on it, there's a group for that:
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...t+sailors.html
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 12-02-2020, 21:44   #88

Boat: Corbin 39

Quote:
Thanks Ann!

So I know I asked this in another thread, but perhaps someone following this thread may know. I am curious if anyone here has or knows someone who has anchored at Point Sur, in the lee at the base of the cliff below the lighthouse? And if so, how was it?

The only time I was by there I passed it all by pretty far offshore and one of these days I'd really like to poke along up the coast checking out the little coves the fishermen use between San Simeon and Monterey, during the settled summer weather of course.

I did read a book once where they anchored there but it was ideal conditions , they were very close to shore
cortezsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2020, 11:02   #89

The social groups don't get much attention, but if you are planning to travel up or down the western US coast this summer, there may be something of use in the links in this group:
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...t+sailors.html
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 23-07-2020, 11:32   #90

Hmmm, the link goes to a thread about selling a Perkins engine.
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail