Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2011, 11:31   #1

Afraid to Fly

well, I am terrified of flying but love to travel. Unfortunately, I never learned to boat either. So here I am wondering if it is possible to hire someone to travel by boat from florida to costa rica for myself, husband and two boys. Is this possible? we don't need luxury. I would also love to learn to boat as well. I prefer sail boats, but if I really want to be able to travel around the world, would I need to know how to do it in a power boat? I know nothing....., but I love the water! thank you for any help!
margot800h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:52   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Afraid to Fly

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, margot800h.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:54   #3
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Not difficult to learn to sail.

Otherwise you need to get a boat. Then it's easy enough to hire a skipper. Though it's not the most inexpensive way to do it. Hiring a boat and skipper complete isn't going to be cheap. It also cam be regarded as charter and lots of rules apply.

Dave
Old 03-10-2011, 12:03   #4
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast

Hi, Margot and welcome to CF!

I'll try and take on your questions:

1. Yes, it is possible to hire a captain (should be licensed, and experienced, of course) for such a trip. There are actually a number of them. Sounds like you are looking for someone who will take responsibility for the trip and also act as an instructor, too. Yes, those people exist.
2. Doing a circumnavigation in a power boat is very difficult. Not impossible, but the ones that can do it are very expensive and complex. Think more like a mini-mega-yacht. This is because the long passages require very large fuel tanks. To accommodate those, the boat ends up quite large, which means bigger engines, simply lots more structure, and so on -- all adding up to big $$$. That is not the case with sail, since your primary means of propulsion doesn't rely on carrying lots of fuel and everything to support it.
3. You don't say if this would be on your boat or someone elses. If on yours, then hiring the instructor/skipper would be the way to go. If you're looking to charter a boat, that could be a bit more tricky, since it would be 1-way, for quite a long time and quite a distance.

Although you didn't ask (and probably already know), I'll say it anyway -- there are a number of pretty darn effective ways to deal with the flying anxiety, and not necessarily with medication, either. Almost any licensed psychologist or clinical social worker can either help you with it, or point you to someone who can. It really is one of the easiest problems to treat, and would certainly open up lots of other possibilities for you.

I also suggest that before you commit yourself to such a trip, that you and your family do at least a few days of offshore sailing, first. Preferably to include at least a day or so of less-than-ideal weather. Florida to Costa Rica is a pretty long trip and no matter which way you go around Cuba, you're very likely to encounter at least some bumpy weather. It would be better to have an idea about what you are going to be dealing with before you're committed to it.

Good luck with you. Sailing is a great way to travel, but it isn't for everyone.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:24   #5

wow! thank you all for your responses!

I do not have my own boat. but I have been sailing a few times off the coast of florida, plus cruises (which probably doesn't count) i really love the water. I am willing to go on any kind of boat, but I am really ignorant, I don't know what kind of boat you would need for a long trip. Can a sail boat do it? if so what kind would it have to be? a certain size? How long would a trip like that take? (florida to Costa Rica)? How much time in a motor boat and how much time in a sail boat? I know it's a ton of money, but how much? is there a website I could go to to get a rough idea of price? Thank you for all your help!
Old 03-10-2011, 12:43   #6

Boat: Tartan 30 & Columbia 26

You do realize that open-ocean boating is FAR more dangerous than flying don't you?
wristwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:46   #7

Have you ever been in a storm ON A BOAT?

Do so, the experience will most likely change how you look at flying and/or staying home!

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 13:00   #8

Lol! yes, I am well aware that flying is the safest way to travel, blah blah blah... but I am much more comfortable on the water. I have never been in a big storm in a small boat so can't speak to that. I'm sure I would freak out. I've been on a cruise ship that really shouldn't have sailed because there were three different hurricanes in the area. I know that doesn't really count because it was cruise ship, but it was the first time I had ever experienced any kind of sea sickness. anyway, fear of flying i think is a little more psychological not so logical. Please people, get me on a boat! lol!
Old 03-10-2011, 13:03   #9

Boat: Finnfire 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by margot800h View Post
Can a sail boat do it?
It's usually sailboats that do do it. Someone above explained why motorboating around the world is both impractical and expensive.

Quote:
if so what kind would it have to be? a certain size?
Any kind of seaworthy sailboat could do it. Very small things have crossed very big oceans. Size is more about crew comfort. It should of course have all proper safety equipment installed.
Last_Mutineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 18:22   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Lol! yes, I am well aware that flying is the safest way to travel, blah blah blah... but I am much more comfortable on the water. I have never been in a big storm in a small boat so can't speak to that. I'm sure I would freak out. I've been on a cruise ship that really shouldn't have sailed because there were three different hurricanes in the area. I know that doesn't really count because it was cruise ship, but it was the first time I had ever experienced any kind of sea sickness. anyway, fear of flying i think is a little more psychological not so logical. Please people, get me on a boat! lol!
You can do it ...many sailboats out there to chose from..are you and husband in good health?if so learn to sail and go for it ..I have faith in ya !..DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 00:03   #11

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah

Margot, do you realise that aboard almost every domestic airliner there is at least one passenger convinced that the plane is going to crash. Usually they don't.
I make the following observations not as criticism, but from the experience of one who used to work as a psychologist. Phobias and irrational fears were my favourite clinical area.
From a psychological point of view, there is a concept known as secondary benefit. That is where a person derives some gain or control from a set of symptoms that would seem to an outsider quite debilitating. It is always worth asking yourself what is it that this fear is stopping you from doing, and why you want to avoid that.
I suggest that rather than use your fear as a way of controlling what you and your family can or can't do, you look into one of the reputable programs that deal with fear of flying. You cannot imagine how good you will feel when you overcome that fear. Often other areas of your life will improve too.
Best of luck,
Richard.
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 00:25   #12

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

Florida to Costa Rica? As I remember, there are no places to land on the Caribbean side of Costa Rica except 'possibly' Puerto Limon. Good luck.
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote