Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2010, 14:57   #46
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I don't get it? Why am I not rich yet? I been saving for years. I get my hair cut at the cheap salon 3 times a year, and save money on hair dye by simply plucking out the greys. I don't buy make up, and the only clothes I buy are for work or the odd ballgown. I rarely drive my SUV anywhere, other than to sail on my boats at the marina and sailing club. I cut down the grocery shopping to $300 pm, and the only extravagance I allow is maybe 4 visits to the sushi bar a month. I dress myself every day, so I don't need a personal maid - I have just the one to clean the house. I really don't understand why I ain't richer.
Old 20-07-2010, 15:00   #47
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaza Dana View Post
I really don't understand why I ain't richer.
You eat too much?

Old 20-07-2010, 15:00   #48
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Aaza i love your 40 superyacht!
Old 20-07-2010, 15:04   #49
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
FWIW I think you are a class A idiot for not waiting another year - on your figures would make your life away from home a million percent more pleasant. and your return much less uncertain.
Boy, ain't that the word. But, unlike you I won't lie by offering any encouragement to a disaster. Going from lifestyle A to lifestyle B is a major acclimation shock. Takes planning, training and time on it's own.
Old 20-07-2010, 15:22   #50

Boat: 1984 CS 36
wow, guys - that got personal and nasty in a hurry!

other than the dollars and cents, you don't know ANYTHING about who i am or what my story is.

i think that advice on the cruising kitty, debt, boat cost, etc. is totally appropriate, but calling this trip my "midlife escapist fantasy" is presumptuous, unnecessary, off topic and, frankly, a little hurtful.

i started this thread hoping to a) find out how much our financial circumstances differ from others and b) to illicit some stories of how people might have done it differently. i wasn't soliciting advice, and certainly wasn't soliciting personal criticism.

i'm sorry if i come off sounding like some spoiled freewheeling rich kid - it's actually not the case. i know what it's like not to have money - i grew up about as poor as poor gets (well, in the US anyhow...).

if you want to find out more about my thought process or motivations, ask. if you want to judge with inadequate information... not much i can do about it, i guess...
Old 20-07-2010, 15:24   #51

Boat: C&C Mega 30
Sailing Is for Rich People?

$2800 mortgage payments (or rent) are for rich people.

I'm not really sure what kinda advise or answers you expected from this forum, sounds like some folks here think you should rethink your plans.

And before you start getting into an argument about what is or isn't seaworthy, take a look at the volvo ocean racing boats, or some photos of Bernard Moitessier's Joshua, or read Robin Knox-Johnson's accounts of trying to get a new mast, etc, and then having a leaky hull and rotting floors on his boat as he set off across the Atlantic (and still managed to get around the world and back to England nonstop).

It really comes down to comforts and convenience. And priorities. It's really all about Priorities. Leave now vs. pay off the debt. Nice boat, nicer boat, bare metal hull with sails full of patches? Happy wife vs. this is MY dream.

anyways, good luck. Have fun. some's the best food in the world is cooked in carts on the sidewalk, and drinking the local beer (always cheaper) always adds some flavor to the journey.
Old 20-07-2010, 15:25   #52
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
But, unlike you I won't lie by offering any encouragement to a disaster.
Not to quibble, but...............

Wished all the best, not the same (in my book) as encouragement - but no great matter, OP only hearing what he wants

Hope he sticks around on CF, as with that qualification will fit in well
Old 20-07-2010, 15:28   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannago View Post
$2800 mortgage payments (or rent) are for rich people.
that's my point - we're well off which is what's enabling a sail.
Old 20-07-2010, 15:35   #54
Armchair Bucketeer

At the risk of taking the thread off topic / sideways - the best guide to whether you are rich on an international comparison basis is..........whether you have a hobby.

Can provide some thought provoking responses when making small talk in distant lands - and also looks along the lines of "who is this bl##dy idiot?" so I am told
Old 20-07-2010, 15:37   #55
cruiser

Now he wants "kissy kissy love love?" and expects us to really care about his personal reasoning and background etc? OP we don't care. You've given us your facts and enough information to judge. And you got our truthful reaction without all the fluff maybe you were expecting and wanting.

Well, if he was half sensible about it, he should at least pay off that F@$)*#$*@ CC debt and rethink the possibility of maybe playing "two port tag" meaning going someplace, putting it on hard, work back home for 1/2 a year on contract, then sailing on to next port.
Old 20-07-2010, 15:39   #56
cruiser

Quote:
At the risk of taking the thread off topic / sideways - the best guide to whether you are rich on an international comparison basis is..........whether you have a hobby.
Does being an Arsenal fan comprise of having a hobby? Or is that a rich man's club since it's on the north side?
Old 20-07-2010, 15:44   #57

Quote:
Or is that a rich man's club since it's on the north side?
just to be clear, the "sailing is for rich people" title of this post was meant to be provocative, not offensive. i apologize to all if it came off the wrong way - honestly wasn't my intention to piss people off.
Old 20-07-2010, 15:52   #58
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Does being an Arsenal fan comprise of having a hobby? Or is that a rich man's club since it's on the north side?
I'm a City fan If you peasants want to borrow a trillion, just...........beg

(but if it's any comfort it will all end badly for City. It always does that's what being a City Fan is all about )
Old 20-07-2010, 15:52   #59

Boat: Tartan 37C "Windgeist"
I gotta give you kudos for having the balls to open up your finances on a public forum for critisim...now wheres the popcorn? LMAO
Old 20-07-2010, 15:56   #60
cruiser

Quote:
I'm a City fan If you peasants want to borrow a trillion, just...........beg

(but if it's any comfort it will all end badly for City. It always does that's what being a City Fan is all about )
Go cannons you bugga!
Closed Thread