Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2016, 12:10   #136

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Retire now & go cruising or THIS is what happens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
At a guess, anyone so lacking in imagination to get bored so easily wouldn't have the mindset to go cruising in the first place.
Ask a cruiser what they do with their time and a common answer will be, no idea but it always takes all day.
You better have a good imagination with so much time to kill......
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 12:27   #137
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
The only way you'll find out is to go cruising a cruising boat isn't something you have, it's something you do, you could tinker on the boat 8 hours a day every day and still find things to do. Then trips ashore to the market, sightseeing, visit fellow cruisers or even just read a book for a while. Always something.

But if you think of time as "something to kill" instead of an opportunity to do something then maybe cruising isn't for you.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 13:07   #138
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

You know I ran so much in the Army I have no knees left, running, bicycling, that is gone, but you know what?
Swimming is among the best exercise there is for older people, you can get a great aerobic workout without tearing up your joints.
I plan on lots of fish hunting, even if I have to do it with an Hawaiian sling.

As far as Osh, for me I was an exhibitor and that made it not so hot, but I got way too tired about hearing look at that Ford Mustang go, Ford, Ford , Ford ever time you turn around. I thought it was an airplane show? No it was one big Ford commercial as they were a major supporter apparently and what do you think the biggest display was? Yep, the Ford tent.
But you need to go, you will see things you will not likely see anywhere else.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 13:46   #139

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

A64, and everyone,

"Fish hunting", eh? Go for it! Once, Jim speared a small grouper in the Sea of Cortez. Got him right as he was catching a squirrel fish, and the spear went through both their skulls. Absolutely amazing. Only happened that once of all the time we spear fished (I carried the game bag). Took a picture of it, but that's back in storage in the States, or I'd post it. You are to be forgiven if you don't believe it. It was just one of those very, very rare events...in lives that have had quite a few, now that I come to think of it.

Ann
Old 12-08-2016, 14:22   #140

Boat: Shopping

Quote:
I don't think I have the years left to even see all I want of the US east coast. And then there's the Canadian great lakes, and the Caribbean, and the Med. Sigh, so much to do, so little time.
Cottontop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 14:56   #141

Quote:
The only way you'll find out is to go cruising a cruising boat isn't something you have, it's something you do, you could tinker on the boat 8 hours a day every day and still find things to do. Then trips ashore to the market, sightseeing, visit fellow cruisers or even just read a book for a while. Always something.

But if you think of time as "something to kill" instead of an opportunity to do something then maybe cruising isn't for you.
So what did you do today while you were cruising on your boat?

I'm at the boat daily. I caught fish for dinner twice this week after work.

At work, prepared annual reports on 18 Flight and Maintenance Simulators. Plus all the other crazy crap that comes with living here. Driving near 18-22 year olds in their first car for example that are prepared to fight to win the first place at the next stop light. Always exciting!

Ran 2.5 miles on Thursday plus pullups and pushups

Tomorrow I think I'll get out in front of this slow boat sailboat race across the bay they are having tomorrow and take pictures and observe for 20 miles or so then anchor for the night and sail back in the am

There's always something to do and look forward to when living near the coast or the mountains or the desert
Old 12-08-2016, 14:57   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottontop View Post
I don't think I have the years left to even see all I want of the US east coast. And then there's the Canadian great lakes, and the Caribbean, and the Med. Sigh, so much to do, so little time.
Rent a car!

Wow, I just realized you don't have a boat. WTF?

How can you comment on cruising and not being bored with it?
Old 12-08-2016, 14:59   #143

Quote:
Right again!

I'm still working it over in my head. I may have to give this boat to my artist son and get a racing boat. He only gets this one though only if he will crew for me a few times per year.

I like distance races. Not into the buoy racing thing anymore.............
Old 13-08-2016, 19:00   #144

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
It's exactly the right life for some and totally wrong for others ... You simply cannot after doing your stretching, pullups, pushups, etc take a 3 mile run followed by a 25-40 mile bike ride...
I have a friend that uses the pronoun "You" when I think he meant "I"... we all march to a different drummer.
Old 13-08-2016, 19:14   #145

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
A64, and everyone,

"Fish hunting", eh? Go for it! Once, Jim speared a small grouper in the Sea of Cortez. Got him right as he was catching a squirrel fish, and the spear went through both their skulls. Absolutely amazing. Only happened that once of all the time we spear fished (I carried the game bag). Took a picture of it, but that's back in storage in the States, or I'd post it. You are to be forgiven if you don't believe it. It was just one of those very, very rare events...in lives that have had quite a few, now that I come to think of it.

Ann
I believe Ann... a few times we've caught fish with a fly that were then swallowed by larger fish... Twofers. Fish and travel long enough one sees many seemingly impossible things.
Old 14-08-2016, 03:45   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindredpdx View Post
I have a friend that uses the pronoun "You" when I think he meant "I"... we all march to a different drummer.
Awesome!

You took a nice 5 hour sail yesterday. The winds were light and the temp was hot (98 degrees) but you didn't mind because you were on the water.

You decided to head back near land after a while where the breeze was and enjoyed some nice upwind sailing with breezes around 12 knots until your jib decided to start coming down.

So now you have the jib halyard at the top of the mast and the jib on deck. What to do?

You motor in since you are so close and think over the simple task of getting the halyard down without a mast climbing system.

It's either climb the mast barehanded or come up with another idea without tools, poles, or extra gear.

Used the whipping technique to get it down and found the snap shackle had bent and come open. No more snap shackles.

So more sailing today then back to the running/working out on Tuesday or Wednesday midday for as long as the body holds together enough to do that sort of thing
Old 17-08-2016, 04:41   #147

I am planning to set off soon but getting scared seeing one of the spreadsheets 55000 us of expenses a year times that by 13 for our current currency has got me worried.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
namdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2016, 04:57   #148

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by namdes View Post
I am planning to set off soon but getting scared seeing one of the spreadsheets 55000 us of expenses a year times that by 13 for our current currency has got me worried.

What??
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2016, 05:41   #149

Quote:
Still, more fun than having a job
Let's see: I can spend 4hrs dumpster diving hoping to find a part that I can try to cobble in place or play with multimillion dollar traffic monitoring system for an hour and just buy what I need..... Yes, there comes a time when trying to save a dollar is more effort than just earning another dollar.

I like my job, just don't want to be a slave to it working 60-80hrs per week. It varies but I average about 20hrs per week and mostly can work wherever I am.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2016, 05:45   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by namdes View Post

While you can certainly spend that amount and not even be hanging out with the rich guys, you can also spend quite a bit less than that while still enjoying the lifestyle.

Is the $55k based on number you entered into the spreadsheet or based on someone else's numbers?
- If it's based on someone else's numbers, enter your own and see what happens.
- If it's based on your numbers, look at ways you can do things differently to cut the costs. (simple example: nighty marina rates are often 2-5 times what the monthly rates are. learn to slow down and stay for longer periods if you want to stay in marinas.)
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising