Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2010, 22:37   #1

Boat: Oyster 39
Price for Bruce Roberts Kits

Hi Everyone,

I am wondering if anyone knows the rough cost of one of the Bruce Roberts Steel kits? Obviously it would vary a little bit based on size, but I am wondering what a ballpark # is. I've looked around on his website (which sadly looks a bit web 1.0 style) which I hope is a sign he spends too much time being a nautical expert as opposed to an HTML guru rather than a sign of his design skills fullstop! I am unable to locate anything surrounding pricing of one of the metal steel kits though. I am hesitant of emailing the company directly so as not to feel any kind of obligation or end up on some sort of list (complete speculation on my part I should add.)
Thus, I'd rather ask it here and see if people have any experience with the kit prices.

All things aside and perhaps should be covered in a separate thread, but how overall are the Bruce Roberts designed boats....
Deep6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2010, 00:14   #2

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
If the Bruce Roberts web site looks totally un geeky, I doubt you will end up on a database, so email them and get all the details direct, not an educated guess from others
Old 20-10-2010, 05:12   #3
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
I e-mailed them about 5 yrs ago for pricing info on one of their 35' trawler kits. If memory serves me correctly the cost for the kit and shipping from UK to Canada was about $35,000 US which wasn't bad at the time.

Depending on which boat you want to build have a good look around. There seems to be plenty of them partially finished sitting in boat yards all over NA just waiting for a new owner to finish them. FWIW.
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2010, 05:44   #4

I have his price book around here and I also bought some study plans. This was all about 3 years ago.

When I was planing to build a boat I found it cheaper to buy the plans and have the steel cut locally. Or invest in a USED CnC plasma cutter and use it to cut the steel and resell it.

I am a CnC programmer so that may be easier for me than others. Still I just seen a used one sell at an auction for $10,000 last week and I know it was worth $18,000 so there was one you could use and turn a profit on selling it.

With all that said. I have no plans on building a boat now. My house is for sale and I am in the market for a boat. Our 15 year plan turned into a 2 year plan. We are leaving as soon as we find a boat and sell our junk off. My 10 year old son is coming along.
dreamer38851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 02:55   #5

Location: Paradise (better known to most people as: Philippines)
Boat: 65' Custom Steel Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer38851 View Post
With all that said. I have no plans on building a boat now. My house is for sale and I am in the market for a boat. Our 15 year plan turned into a 2 year plan. We are leaving as soon as we find a boat and sell our junk off. My 10 year old son is coming along.
Great to hear of your accelerated timetable. For whatever reason it's come about, I think it'll end up being a good thing. Congrats

As to Roberts plans, I was just perusing them today. What I'd really like is to find an interesting steel cat design, but I can't find much other than his site for any kind of plans.
NotQuiteLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 03:58   #6

Boat: forna 37 van de stadt still building name maybe kokomajo
Thumbs up

HI,
Try Van De Stadt yacht design, I am building a 37ft yacht out of wood epoxy, but they also do steel and alum. They are also one of the best designers for steel yachts and they look good.
Mark
markkoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 07:29   #7

Boat: Oyster 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotQuiteLost View Post
Great to hear of your accelerated timetable. For whatever reason it's come about, I think it'll end up being a good thing. Congrats

As to Roberts plans, I was just perusing them today. What I'd really like is to find an interesting steel cat design, but I can't find much other than his site for any kind of plans.
Let me know if you happen across a steel cat design, I am still doing background research on the mono/multi issue but know that ideally regardless of the hull quantity, I want my boat to be steel for ease of repair durability etc etc.
However, as of yet I've not found anything remotely close to a steel cat.
Deep6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 08:23   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Dix43 Pilothouse-alloy
Look at Dudley Dix' designs. I am currently building a Dix 43 pilot house in aluminum, with cutting files provided by Alumar. The pre-cut kit is definitely worth the money (3900.00 euros for the files). The fit of the router cut parts is , dare I say it, near perfect. Think about aluminum , rather than steel. I have built many things in both materials and aluminum is much, much, faster to build and more pleasant. You can see my build at my blog, www.odysseyyachts.com. Full disclosure: I am representing Alumar in North America, and can organize the complete pre-cut aluminum ( or steel for that matter) kit. Both Alumar and Dix provide excellent support during the build process.

Cheers
Brian
Brian Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2010, 02:59   #9

Boat: forna 37 van de stadt still building name maybe kokomajo
Hi Brian,
Nice work and web site, Dudley dix designs are great sea boats. If I was going to build a cat I would use alum. not steel. There are some great Aussie cat designers but use wood, foam and epoxy. I am sure they could design a cat in alum. but at a cost.
Mark
markkoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2010, 04:32   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Check out his "Prices" page
Bruce Roberts, steel boat plans, boat building, boatbuilding, steel boat kits, boat kits

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2010, 05:04   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Dix43 Pilothouse-alloy
Speaking of alloy cats:
Osram VII Planing and Development

Brian
Brian Russell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bruce roberts