Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2011, 08:03   #1

How to Shop for a Boat

Alright, so I'm living in the Alabama Gulf area, and am in the market for a small to medium size sailboat that my wife and I can cruise around the area on, maybe spend a few weekends/overnights on, and can keep learning on.

How do I shop for these?

Had some luck on craigslist, but the seller sold to someone else. Not alot on there.

Yachtworld doesn't have much in this area.

So how else can I look?

Anyone familiar with the other sales outlets in the area. I'm looking for something cheap and old, but still floating and mobile. (not a high standard I don't think).
SouthernHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 08:44   #2

Boat: Tartan 30
Re: How to Shop for a Boat

Sailingtexas.com
sailboatlistings.com
boattrader.com
Are the only other online resources I know of.

I'd stay up on craigslist and even ebay. The thing about them is something can get listed, the be gone within a week, so you gotta stay on top of it....

Also, there seems to be tons of boats in Dawsonville GA (lake lanier?) in your target range. Lanier Marine Liquidators is apparently the people to talk to (they also put a lot of listings on yachtworld)
But if you found one there you'd have to rent a trailer (unless it comes with one!). These guys (also in GA) have a good reputation and good prices, from what I've seen.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:16   #3

Boat: Gibson 50', Columbia 8.3, Harbor 20, Hunter 14, Trac 16, Several Lasers

Craigslist, Sailboatlistings.com and your local marina's bulletin board are starting points.

Also network and talk to as many sailors as you can and let them know you are shopping.

Don't be in too much of a rush but be prepared to move quickly when you think you've found the perfect boat.

I'd be cautious about eBay.. there are some occasional gems but I would NEVER bid sight unseen unless I was prepared to eat any potential loss.
offline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 09:22   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by offline View Post
Craigslist, Sailboatlistings.com and your local marina's bulletin board are starting points.

Also network and talk to as many sailors as you can and let them know you are shopping.

Don't be in too much of a rush but be prepared to move quickly when you think you've found the perfect boat.

I'd be cautious about eBay.. there are some occasional gems but I would NEVER bid sight unseen unless I was prepared to eat any potential loss.
The networking thing is something I struggle with. Im not aware of any sailing clubs in the nearby area, and notice a lot of no visitor signs on marinas. If you don't have a boat, how to do you get involved in these marinas/clubs.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:25   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHiker View Post
The networking thing is something I struggle with. Im not aware of any sailing clubs in the nearby area, and notice a lot of no visitor signs on marinas. If you don't have a boat, how to do you get involved in these marinas/clubs.
I had the same problem, even when I was on the gulf and had a few marina's to browse.. basically, the networking thing is out of the question unless you get real lucky. Just gotta get a boat

Are you planning to buy a boat, and move onto it wherever it is located? Or do you have in mind a place to keep it?
Old 05-07-2011, 09:34   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
I had the same problem, even when I was on the gulf and had a few marina's to browse.. basically, the networking thing is out of the question unless you get real lucky. Just gotta get a boat

Are you planning to buy a boat, and move onto it wherever it is located? Or do you have in mind a place to keep it?
Well, I have a lease until December down here, and there are several marinas that seem pretty cheap and with openings around here.

So for now, I just want to buy.

What I'm shopping for right now isn't necessarily a liveaboard type cruiser. I'd settle for a 23-28' with a small cabin for camping out.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:47   #7

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

Can you define what small to medium size is? If you are willing to travel, I saw a lot of boats about 3 hours east of you. I'll be more specific via a PM if interested.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 10:58   #8

I would look as far South as Tampa/St. Pete. If you find a boat you like it, you could have a great trip cruising home up the intracoastal.
Abaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 11:14   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHiker View Post

Had some luck on craigslist, but the seller sold to someone else. Not alot on there.

Yachtworld doesn't have much in this area.

So how else can I look?

Anyone familiar with the other sales outlets in the area. I'm looking for something cheap and old, but still floating and mobile. (not a high standard I don't think).
You may want to try Classifieds - Claz.org

It accesses numerous about 200 sites, including craigslist, ebay classified and more.

It is the first place I look.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:18   #10
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

I would keep watching craigslist and any local classifieds, but I would also go to the marinas and speak with the harbour masters about boats that are in arrears, might be coming up for lien auction or owners who might be interested in an offer to get an unused boat off their hands.

Also, check with the littler yacht clubs in your area, you do not have to own a boat to join, and they are a great way to meet people who boat and who know who might have a boat coming onto the market.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:11   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
I would keep watching craigslist and any local classifieds, but I would also go to the marinas and speak with the harbour masters about boats that are in arrears, might be coming up for lien auction or owners who might be interested in an offer to get an unused boat off their hands.

Also, check with the littler yacht clubs in your area, you do not have to own a boat to join, and they are a great way to meet people who boat and who know who might have a boat coming onto the market.
This sounds like a great idea. I'm gonna have to get the harbor numbers and give them a call. Anybody know the names of the yacht clubs in the Gulf Shores area?
Old 07-07-2011, 06:23   #12

Are you talking about Gulf Shores Alabama?

I lived in Gulfport MS for a while when I first decided I wanted to start sailing. Lots of sailboats in that area, but I didn't have any money so I couldn't really pursue anything... But, they had 2 boatyards and several marinas that I used to go walk around and 'dream' about every boat i saw I used to find a lot of boats with for sale signs on them that were never listed online. Same thing with marina's. There's a great little liveaboard marina in Ocean Springs and a boatyard across the bay in Biloxi...

There's a ton of marina's and boatyards between pensecola and mobile bay. But I thought you were in GA? Where exactly are you?
Old 07-07-2011, 06:27   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
Are you talking about Gulf Shores Alabama?

I lived in Gulfport MS for a while when I first decided I wanted to start sailing. Lots of sailboats in that area, but I didn't have any money so I couldn't really pursue anything... But, they had 2 boatyards and several marinas that I used to go walk around and 'dream' about every boat i saw I used to find a lot of boats with for sale signs on them that were never listed online. Same thing with marina's. There's a great little liveaboard marina in Ocean Springs and a boatyard across the bay in Biloxi...

There's a ton of marina's and boatyards between pensecola and mobile bay. But I thought you were in GA? Where exactly are you?
Oh sorry, need to update my profile I guess. I am now in Gulf Shores. We moved down here from Georgia two weeks ago. Part of our approach to get to do more sailing eventually.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:32   #14

Oh!, well you're in a good place now You can drive all the way to panama city and back in one day

I'd get on google maps and just start ticking off marina's and boatyards, spend the weekends browsing while you're waiting for the right boat to show up on craigslist.

You might also consider posting an ad for yourself on craigslist "take me sailing" or "sell me your boat" or something of that nature...
Old 07-07-2011, 06:35   #15

Boat: Catalina 30

As with dogs and cats, there are a lot of boats in need of a good home. I'm with the advice of spreading the word at marinas and sailing clubs. I tripped over my boat when a friend suggested we buy into it as a share. Instead I bought it myself. He gets to sail it anyhow.
allanpeda is offline   Reply With Quote