Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2011, 06:41   #16

Boat: Westsail 32
Re: How to Shop for a Boat

You may want to consider buying a boat that is trailorable with that size range. It can make it very useful for working on it, lower the marina costs and enable you to simply transport it throughout the South, and Southeast. Houston area also has alot of boats for sale and Florida is loaded with boats at a quite a discount these days and an easy coastal cruise to Alabama. Good Luck.
DeepBlueSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:49   #17

Boat: Tartan 30

I forgot to add... As far as going into marina's, most of them will have a sign or two posted that says something like 'boat owners only' or whatever. Just stop in the marina office and let them know you're looking for boats for sale and you want to walk around. 100% of the time they will be fine with that. Just don't step foot onto other peoples boats without permission, the docks are fair game

the boat yards are usually 'open' and you can just walk in walk around without anybody even noticing. If they're not open, just do the same thing and walk in and ask if you can look around.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:02   #18

there is a website App Store Software Application Producer, Programmer and Publisher that will search multple craigs list at once. you can set its radius and use key words to help in search. this site will help!
layback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:13   #19
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

DO definitely walk the docks-- take some beer and pizza or something and share and have a great time-- you will find out sooo much-- half of it is gonna be good info.... have a ball...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:00   #20

just dropped into my lap-- a neighbor in san d has a really cool older model cal 30-- full keel design from 1969--is in great shape and will sail well and engine runs great--seen it go--- he asked me if anyone wants to buy boat cheap--is nice boat and can go almost anywhere--would be great fo gulf of mexico--- will go well on a trailer, should someone be able to grab one for the transportation of said boat......
Old 07-07-2011, 08:25   #21

Boat: Bristol 34

Depends on what you want. Atlanta Craigslist recently had two Catalina 22s with trailers for around $2500.

There are several boats for sale in our marina for between $4k and $20k. None are advertised. Take a weekend and drive east to Panama City, visiting as many marinas along the way as you can. Next weekend drive west to New Orleans doing the same. Ask around the marinas and boatyards and I'm certain you'll eventually find something that meets your needs and budget. There are plenty of boats out there at bargain prices - just know what you are getting before you plop down cash.

We had an unknown (to me) made 30+ foot boat abandoned at the marina that went up for auction last weekend. Nobody showed up to bid. Ugliest damn sailboat I've ever seen but had someone shown up with $1.00 they would have taken it.

A 44' CSY pilothouse needing refitting just sold on ebay for $19,500. I estimated it would have taken another $25k and two full months of work to bring it up to a $100k boat. Not a bad deal if you have both the money and time.
rover88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:08   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
just dropped into my lap-- a neighbor in san d has a really cool older model cal 30-- full keel design from 1969--is in great shape and will sail well and engine runs great--seen it go--- he asked me if anyone wants to buy boat cheap--is nice boat and can go almost anywhere--would be great fo gulf of mexico--- will go well on a trailer, should someone be able to grab one for the transportation of said boat......
Tried to respond to your PM and it said I couldn't send you one?

Is "San D" San Diego? If so, that's probably a bit too far for me to travel right now. Looking to stay around the gulf coast, hopefully no more than three to four hours for now. Thanks for all the help.
SouthernHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 13:35   #23

southernhiker-- the boat is 6000 dollars without the panels or dinkand travels well on a trailer. is a truly good boat.
once ye accpet the request i sentchye you can send me pms..LOL... sorry about that.... is a safety mechanism...