Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2021, 07:17   #76

Boat: Prout Advent
Re: Found a dream boat, just to realize I'm financially not yet there.

Well WINDINYOURSAIL, I'm 5 years from retirement and doing the RYA Yacht Master course. I'm constantly looking for what I think would be a suitable yacht. I like steel as quoted on this forum "sooner or later you bump something ". Google Expedition Evans U-Tube, the bought cheaply a large French production yacht, had bumped the keel. Took them years to correct it. Also look at another U-Yube,
This is Dutch built steel boat high and dry for a year, they lift it up and put it back in the water! They pump a few time looking voor deeper water.
I don't know if I have enough money also but if I don't do it soon I will never forgive myself. Recently divorced, freedom beckons. Cheers Simon
Old 16-01-2021, 08:11   #77

Boat: 35' sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windinyoursail View Post
Just a wite up to vent my feelings and who knows this great community can add some thoughts that could help....

I stumble upon my dream boat:
SIze is roughly what I had in mind, big enough to accommodate family and even some hopefully sometimes paying guests...
Two masts, limiting single sail area to be handled by one.
Steel, strong enough, so suitable for all destinations.
Suited with some limited modifications to fulfill most of my wishes.

To do the rough calculations and find out I'm financially not ready yet, sorry it sucks...

Some context, I am going for this to be my work/retirement/dream.
In my 50's so extremely lucky for just being close to even seriously thinking/realize it.
Rough financial plan; buy boat, have enough money to cover 10 years of sailing, have set aside some money for the kids to support their student time.

If things completely go wrong small but survivable pension after 68 in place.

As it stands now: wife won't join permanent, we have a paid house, she has a full time job.
Current financial status, invested some 70%, enough to buy and get ready mentioned boat but not yet to cover other targets.

If history is my guide I will get there in 4-8 years.

But as most ? time preference is slowly kicking in...

Any wise words?
If you intend to "go cruising" for ten years, leave the guests in the cockpit less they be crew.
I was guilty of trying to bring to much of the house with us. A few years later it is just what we want and need. Hurts the resale value I think but at that time, so what? I know a young couple who will love it.
Learn to saty on the hook as much as possible. I've seen plenty of boats for sale due to 'financial problems'. Marinas and restuarants/ bars will do that.
Tonali99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2021, 11:21   #78

Boat: Rayvin 30

Quote:
Just a wite up to vent my feelings and who knows this great community can add some thoughts that could help....

I stumble upon my dream boat:
SIze is roughly what I had in mind, big enough to accommodate family and even some hopefully sometimes paying guests...
Two masts, limiting single sail area to be handled by one.
Steel, strong enough, so suitable for all destinations.
Suited with some limited modifications to fulfill most of my wishes.

To do the rough calculations and find out I'm financially not ready yet, sorry it sucks...

Some context, I am going for this to be my work/retirement/dream.
In my 50's so extremely lucky for just being close to even seriously thinking/realize it.
Rough financial plan; buy boat, have enough money to cover 10 years of sailing, have set aside some money for the kids to support their student time.

If things completely go wrong small but survivable pension after 68 in place.

As it stands now: wife won't join permanent, we have a paid house, she has a full time job.
Current financial status, invested some 70%, enough to buy and get ready mentioned boat but not yet to cover other targets.

If history is my guide I will get there in 4-8 years.

But as most ? time preference is slowly kicking in...

Any wise words?
I have been in the same "boat"for 10 years! the difficult balance is knowing when you have enough! I also could not just get enough for the boat. I do believe you need to get at least close to the boat you want or you will forever have boat envy. I was due to retire in April coming and we were ready to go but late last year received some bad health news and now it is unlikely that I will ever be able to go so go as soon as you can!! All the best!
SteveG58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2021, 11:25   #79

Boat: Prout Advent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG58 View Post
I have been in the same "boat"for 10 years! the difficult balance is knowing when you have enough! I also could not just get enough for the boat. I do believe you need to get at least close to the boat you want or you will forever have boat envy. I was due to retire in April coming and we were ready to go but late last year received some bad health news and now it is unlikely that I will ever be able to go so go as soon as you can!! All the best!
Oh that sucks and that is what I am worried about!
Old 16-01-2021, 13:00   #80

Boat: J-Boats, J-27

Quote:
..... Any wise words?
I say pull the damn trigger and buy the thing. Go while you still can. People dying like flies (sorry... maybe harsh words these days...) and worrying about just such circumstances as yours. You can worry yourself out of a decision every day of the year… How many years do you really have left? A back injury can keep you from sailing. So can a lot of other things… Whereas, quite frankly, you can probably always find some work to keep yourself going when you’re low on cash. OK, maybe the jobs are few and far between these days also… But if you have the wherewithal, and it’s what you really want to do… What does putting it off really do for you. There are no crystal balls... just steel ones.
JMaav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2021, 19:23   #81

Tomorrow is not guaranteed, don't die at your desk. I am your age and life suddenly kicked me in the balls .
Improvise, adapt, but make your dream happen sooner than later if at all possible. Eight more years is likely going to put you in your 60s. Unless you have a crystal ball, make it happen brother. I know that's easier said than done but I sure wish I would've eight years ago. Just my 2 cents. Best of luck to you
Todd U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2021, 19:28   #82
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequoyah View Post
Two points:

A. Now is not the time to buy an old boat. The market is inflated.

B. Boats are like girls. Never let yourself fall into the position of feeling you have to get a particular one. The world's full of 'em.
Welcome to CF Sequoyah.

A... On the larger older monohull boats +50 ft, the market does not fluctuate too much. The best ones have been well maintained by Owners who decide to sell for health reasons, so you often get what you can negotiate.

B.... I also take a contrary view on this..
..... If you find a boat that hits all the physical and emotional marks, just like a girl you would propose to....
......Dont let her get away if you can make the deal.

We sail in S.E. Asia, where limited support in terms of rescue safety, charting and maintenance infrastructure with a Typhoon Season, makes you far more conservative and self sufficient.

So a tough steel full keel Dutch built Boat, with a partial double bottom and of a size to carry sufficient spares and consumables was always my priority.

Finding one in 2004 that was well maintained but also built of CORTEN steel is extremely rare...
So I proposed right away and that marriage has been one of my best decisions!Click image for larger version

Name:	Banton%20SG%202.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	230519
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2021, 20:49   #83

Boat: Jeanneau SO409

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I think the main thing your need to figure out is if you are going to sail alone
^^^ this.

I love to sail solo and I need to make sure that any boat that I get will be sustainable for solo sailing.

Right now I have a 39.3 foot (Jeanneau SO409) and it's perfect for solo short-handed sailing. I wonder if I could sail a 45-50 foot solo... I'm sure it depends on the model.

But as SailorBoy said... will you sail it alone?
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat