Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2021, 03:30   #46

Re: Found a dream boat, just to realize I'm financially not yet there.

Wow, thanks for so many replies, advice, tips etc.

It is a bit overwhelming and I can't yet, unfortunately, reply to all individually.
Of course most of my 'requirements' are personal and we found people who agree but probably more who don't agree.

The same goes for the way I would like to sail, even dismissing the question how easy to realizing those are and the high certainty time changes everything.

It just confirms we all have to be a little crazy to start such a thing, so checked....

It is good to see some similar thoughts I have gone through.
Some things really ring a bell, I, just like everyone?, would like to skip as many boats purchases as possible, to just do it first time right, while fully realizing you need to go through that process to even be able to know what you can handle, like, etc or just spend years sailing similar boats as crew member etc.

Of course I liked the posts that made me go to a steel boat in the first place.

And I understand the remarks that a dream boat does not exist except in your mind, but I still would post it this way since the boat I stumbled upon is simply matching what I had in my mind for the best part.
That is not the same as the best rational decision, or probably the same as what I would answer in 5 years time.

The hardest thing, also because that was already on my mind, is the size.
I can't think of a harder subject to decide on and I think I see this back in replies.
For sure going smaller is a huge factor in costs, being able to handle it solo or short handed, maintaining it, etc etc etc.
But there is also little else having so much impact on living space, and if designed proper making a good ocean going, rough weather handling better.

I started some three years ago to visiting boat shows, and my online search.

The first trigger to actually see a boat was a Hanse.
It just looked like a nice floating appartement, and in short, I came to the conclusion it is, and thus not suited for my intended usage.

Next came the whole list of better sailing boats like Amel and Hallberg Rassy, to just name a few that I found very interesting.

Buying some like that new is not an option, so I started to look for used boats, to just stumble on the one I mention that was priced interestingly, way bigger than what I thought would be feasible price wise to start with.

And when something like that happens my nature is that I have to check it out and dive into.
And the reason for my post...
Windinyoursail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 05:55   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

When we started looking for our big boat we already had the 33’er and some minor experience on that. I found this one boat nearby, we looked at it, I was enthusiastic about it. My Wifes reaction was different (I HATE that F#%^ing boat.” Thus began our oddesy of boat searching.

We looked at a wide array of boats. We even went to closing on a 43’ aluminum schooner, only to reject it at survey (how to make people happy - not).

After 2 years of this we bought the very first boat we looked at, the one my Wife hated.

What had changed was that we had educated ourselves about boats and what we wanted. But that took a lot of time and actually going to various boats and looking at them pretty hard.

IMHO it is difficult to assess a boat from photos, I need to stand in the space, poke around, figure out where the tools will go (more than you think), where to out the pressure cooker, where will you sleep when its really rolling, etc, etc, etc. And you need to look at a few steel boats, there are some intrinsic differences that are hard to articulate.

The one thing I have envy over is a swim platform. We have a traditional transom, and I really want a bikini magnet!!! When things are calmish they are great, when the things get a bit sloppy and the boat is pitching I find them difficult. So, ironically, I find our boat easier to board in sloppy weather because we come aboard amidships where the motion is less and thats where our gates are. But I do miss the easy water access, a lot. Just an example of the back and forth in assessing a boats traits.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 06:00   #48

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40

I found my dream boat when I was 20. Took me 32 years to get it.
Old 12-01-2021, 06:36   #49

Don’t use your retirement plan to buy a boat.
MikeHoncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 06:52   #50
cdy

Does not sound like the wife has bought into this "dream " yet - maybe she will - but possibly not - kids cruising with you as they get older - sounds like they would be young adults when you get the boat - they are going to have their own lives - while they might want to spend a week some where warm daysailing - they might not want to cruise with you. Buy a boat you can sail now -one that is easy to shorthand sail - don't worry about the wife at this point - she is working - she can fly to the island and meet you for vacation -

My wife is 13 years younger than me - even when I get to retirement in 6 years - she will just be 50 - she won't be ready to retire - plus she has no interest in sailing offshore for any period of time - but she does like the beach , warm climates - so our plan- I sail to such places - she flies and we spend several weeks daysailing , exploring and hanging at the hotel ( or marina ) pool - both of us will be happy - the kids - they are all 20 somethings now - spread out across the world ( 5 of them) they have their own lives - they may not have time to cruise - but certainly will like to spend a week with dear old Dad on a Caribbean Island - bottom line - adapt your future to accept the realities of what the family wants to do - not just your dream.
cdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 07:32   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
Ayr, the thing about boats is liking finding a girlfriend. ..
Agreed. There's a reason the cheerleaders were turning guys away.

PS: Cheerleaders are NOT the equivalent of steel boats.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 07:33   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windinyoursail View Post
The reason for my size pick even if the wife isn't joining permanent is that I would like to be able to accommodate them during holidays.
The other reason I would like to have others join for ocean crossings, long periods, or even paying guests.

The reminder of your remarks I don't know how to answer or don't even find interesting (sorry in no way trying to offend you, I think it is no factor also not a new dream, unless I would be fooling myself insanely, should I visit a professional to be sure :0) ).
What's your sailing experience? Do you have your captains license?

Very few full time cruisers are able to make the jump to chartering it. Not impossible but not as simple as throw an ad on craigslist and watch the money roll in.

If the wife isn't playing along and the kids are going to be heading off to school...expect to be cruising by yourself.

Do you really need a steel boat? Again, if you have no experience, odds are you aren't going to do arctic cruising. A good fiberglass boat is a lot less maintenance intensive and is in many way far better for typical cruising. A steel boat even in great shape really needs a lot of upkeep or it rusts.

It might help if you offered more specifics:
- What is your boating experience?
- How many kids?
- What is your budget? Boat Purchase, Ongoing Maintenance, Slip Fees, Cost of normal living...etc...
- Where are you and where do you plan to cruise?
- What's your experience running a business and how would that relate to setting up a charter operation?
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2021, 07:04   #53

One thing that struck me that is missing is your sailing experience. Do you have a Captain’s license? If not do you know what the qualifications are? I ask because you talked about people paying to go sailing. Have you even talked to an insurance agency to find out if this is even possible? Insurance may actually be the Achilles heel in your plan.

A few years back I was asked to skipper a delivery as the insurance required a Licensed Captain aboard. I qualified for every thing but one. Experience on the route. I went as crew anyways.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2021, 07:15   #54

Boat: Capri 30

It may be against your tide but financing is pretty low these days ...
Cyril Guerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2021, 07:31   #55

Boat: Aloha 32

Its Really not a problem at all.
Its simply a case of "Everyone wants to go to Heaven but most just don't want to Die">
Hope you can make the decision at some point.
Stumpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2021, 07:50   #56

Boat: Newport 30, Sirius 21

Project boat will cost more in the end, and you may never go sailing.
Think smaller boat.
Why steel? Higher maintenance than glass, and more likely to have hidden serious issues.
gulfislandfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2021, 08:01   #57
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour E 43
Send a message via Skype™ to WolfgangSeaLife

having gone through this all:
Get your dream boat, don't compromise. If you don't, the alternative is a very small dream boat, like a 19-ft keel boat, a
The highest cost is not the purchase but the annual expense. So look for the boat and the location that keeps the cost low:
  • Buy a boat from a user that has done meticulous and knowledgeable upkeeping.
  • You need to know how to fix things as well: Electrics, plumbing, paint, sails
  • You need to keep up your maintenance schedule: Oil and filters, varnish, leaks, stitching sails, check riggings, rust, rot
  • Treat her well: Sail covers, don't stress sails, take it easy. Good hardware, rope.
Find a low-cost, near-by and safe dock.

Finally, find a partner, to share the work and the cost. Find people that sail with you and share the cost. A couple that shares a long distance cruise might pay you the expenses for two years.
WolfgangSeaLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2021, 08:23   #58

You can go anywhere in a well found 35ft Yacht.
grogport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2021, 08:49   #59

Boat: 1974 Olympic Adventure Ketch

f it's really, truly your dream boat, have you made an offer? You might be surprised at what would be accepted (based on a good survey, of course). Have you looked into storing the boat on the hard in an out-of-the-way place while you save more? Having just returned from three years cruising, back at work for a couple of years to refit the boat, I'm just going to say this: go as soon as you can, even if it means you might sacrifice some stuff you took for granted that you wanted. In your 50's, every year becomes precious. Best wishes as you move forward with putting your dream into a plan, and into reality.
MWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2021, 10:59   #60

I once found myself standing on the dock looking at my 30ft. sailboat and thinking "I rally can't afford this. Then I said "if I am going to own a boat I can't afford it's going to be bigger than this!! I then went out and bought a 38footer!!
Cabot36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat