Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2023, 17:59   #1

Buyer's Broker Recommendation Annapolis, Maryland

I'd appreciate recommendations for a Buyer's Broker in the Annapolis, Maryland area.

I'm looking at purchasing a 40' sailing catamaran currently in Annapolis and "Not for sale to US residents while in US Waters". I'm a first time buyer and I live on the other side of the US. So, a broker with local knowledge/contacts and experienced with offshore sales would be helpful.

Thanks!
blattidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2023, 19:37   #2

Boat: B423
Re: Buyer's Broker Recommendation Annapolis, Maryland

Quote:
Originally Posted by blattidae View Post
I'd appreciate recommendations for a Buyer's Broker in the Annapolis, Maryland area.

I'm looking at purchasing a 40' sailing catamaran currently in Annapolis and "Not for sale to US residents while in US Waters". I'm a first time buyer and I live on the other side of the US. So, a broker with local knowledge/contacts and experienced with offshore sales would be helpful.

Thanks!
Is this because you want to conduct the sale this way or is it a requirement of the seller? If it's a requirement of a seller I would walk. Otherwise my first contact wouldn't be a broker, but a lawyer.
clamshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2023, 19:57   #3

Boat: Hylas 46

It's standard, required wording. It basically means that the boat hasn't been imported into the US (i.e. taxman hasn't collected his duty). There are thus extra hoops to jump through to complete the sale.
Lee Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2023, 07:24   #4

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Quote:
Originally Posted by blattidae View Post

Thanks!
Contact S&J brokers. They have an office there and several others places on east coast. Great people!
Old 17-12-2023, 10:08   #5

We used https://yachtbrokersofannapolis.com/deanna-sansbury/ and were happy with her, but ours was a simple purchase.
leecea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2023, 10:42   #6

Be prepared... In the current market many brokers with quality boats have more buyers than they have boats, especially catamarans. Because of this they categorically reject cutting their commissions in half by working with a buyer broker because they don't need to do that to attract buyers.

It doesn't mean you can not use a buyer broker, you just have to be ready to pay them yourself.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 04:30   #7

Boat: Hunter 27-2 and Hunter 41 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by leecea View Post
We used https://yachtbrokersofannapolis.com/deanna-sansbury/ and were happy with her, but ours was a simple purchase.
I second the recommendation. Deanna is great.

We live in OH, bought our boat in MD. While not completely across the country, we couldn’t just drop everything for a 14 hour round trip.

Tags
annapolis, broker, Maryland, men