Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2011, 14:53   #16

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: any issues buying an older boat ?

Boatman61 that looks like a good deal. Back to the OP, my standard advice, provided to me by a friend, is to make an offer that makes sense to you on the boat you want. It may be near the asking price, or it might be less, but it has to work for you and your situation. We all want slightly different things, and we have different budgets. I never buy a boat thinking about it in terms of an investment, because that changes everything. I buy the boat I want that I can afford, and then worry about the resale issue later if it comes up. If I really love the boat I might not ever sell it. Personally, I will never be without a boat, so that makes sense for me.
Old 07-03-2011, 15:30   #17
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"mine has a slightly oxidized hull. big deal. is mechanically and structurally sound and ready for placement of electronix.. isnt selling. hasnt for 4 yrs."
Zeehag, I'd have to disagree with you. What's an oxidized hull mean? That someone was not polishing the hull for some years, which means they neglected routine maintenance. If all it needs is polish to make it shiny--that means you're still not interested in selling the boat and still not doing routine maintenance. If it has oxidized too far and needs (gulp) Imron or Awlgrip, that's a big expense, and an ongoing maintenance expense as even those companies will tell you once it has been "coated" it has to be recoated every tenth year or so.
Not having electronics is no big deal, might even be a plus since no one has to pay for obsolete electronics and they can choose their own.
But not selling after four years? Means either you really don't want to sell, or you really have been doing something wrong. ANYTHING will sell in 90 days or less, if it is market priced, and advertised to a market.
I'm guessing you really don't want to sell it.<G>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 15:46   #18

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Boatman61 that looks like a good deal. Back to the OP, my standard advice, provided to me by a friend, is to make an offer that makes sense to you on the boat you want. It may be near the asking price, or it might be less, but it has to work for you and your situation. We all want slightly different things, and we have different budgets. I never buy a boat thinking about it in terms of an investment, because that changes everything. I buy the boat I want that I can afford, and then worry about the resale issue later if it comes up. If I really love the boat I might not ever sell it. Personally, I will never be without a boat, so that makes sense for me.
I agree K.

Plus I add the conviction that it is totally lost money like some other "investments" and I will never get a dime for it.

Forget resale.

Cars - forget it.

Houses - Man, are they all disappointed now, eh. Those that fell for the mantra that a house appreciates and will help when retirement funds are needed. Hah to that even before 08.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 15:57   #19
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"mine has a slightly oxidized hull. big deal. is mechanically and structurally sound and ready for placement of electronix.. isnt selling. hasnt for 4 yrs."
Zeehag, I'd have to disagree with you. What's an oxidized hull mean? That someone was not polishing the hull for some years, which means they neglected routine maintenance. If all it needs is polish to make it shiny--that means you're still not interested in selling the boat and still not doing routine maintenance. If it has oxidized too far and needs (gulp) Imron or Awlgrip, that's a big expense, and an ongoing maintenance expense as even those companies will tell you once it has been "coated" it has to be recoated every tenth year or so.
Not having electronics is no big deal, might even be a plus since no one has to pay for obsolete electronics and they can choose their own.
But not selling after four years? Means either you really don't want to sell, or you really have been doing something wrong. ANYTHING will sell in 90 days or less, if it is market priced, and advertised to a market.
I'm guessing you really don't want to sell it.<G>
i dont care what superficial folks tell me about a lil oxidation. i am a 2 boat owner without the desire to kow tow to those who believe the oxidation means neglect. lol i have DAKINE electricals, DAKINE engine, DAKINE wtf....i dontNEED to sell it-- i dont NEED to have folks kicking tires and i dontNEED to have a shiney nonfunctional pile for a boat. lol i spend my time on function.
my overhaul and my electricals and such present a perfect platform for BRAND NEW tronix, which may be or may not be purchased , depending on what i do with this beauty. my brother may just find a desire to sail again and come from phx to sail her. NO --I DONT CARE TO SELL HER TO SNOTS NOR TO OTHERS WHO MAY NOT SAIL HER.
\ i will not show her to anyone who falls into water as result of not knowing how to handle self on water..LOl she is not a dock queen, she is a sailor. i made sure of that with my functionality modifications. a lil oxidation is nothing. superficiality is meant for dock queens. ye sail and really sail-- ye dont have time to buff a hull . and NO__i am not STOOPIT enough to paint over gelcoat and ruin any possible resale value.
her gelcoat is awesome--nice n thick and not buffed off within an inch of its life..

hellosailor--do you haul your boat every year due to locale????? i do NOT, as we ALWAYS have sun. therefore the oxidation happens in less than 3 months.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 16:20   #20

I am not looking for an investment, just a second boat to use down south in the winter months. I don't know how a long distance relationship like this will work out in the end so I may sell it after a few years. I am just trying to go in with my eyes open so I have some idea of what it might cost to go down this road.
Thanks for all the input, Bob
barnaclebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 16:35   #21

aint no suchofathing as an investment in boats--not a single one will sell for the price asked or purchased.
\

oh--i forgot-- a boat like eleanor, with the hudson river historic boat restoration group, WILL sell for more than purchase price-- my uncle go ther for 50 dollars-- she would eb at an asking price of over 100k usd. yes. only rare ones are investment pieces. boats are depreciation only.
http://gossipsofrivertown.blogspot.c...p-eleanor.html

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=...514796826&ap=1
Old 07-03-2011, 16:35   #22
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: any issues buying an older boat ?

Here's a nice 1994 35ftr... 3 cabins for $49K....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B35.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	24739  
Attached Images

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiot' of the West still pays in hopes it triggers the 'Rapture'.. LMAO.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 16:57   #23

i would think an older boat with a nice thick solid hull would eb preferable to many over a newer hull with coring?
Old 07-03-2011, 16:59   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corbin 39

Interesting thread this one, we are in the process of selling a property and it looks like we may well have a buyer, ive spent 6 months searching on line and asking about what wouls be best for our needs, we want to sail the Carribean but would need to sail from Spain to get there, the feedback i get is that a good, solid 40-42ft 1985-92 is the best, we need 2 large cabins and 2 heads, the North Wind made in Barcelona has really caught my eye! I for one am not looking at a boat to give me a return, I consider it to be a way of life, and an exciting one at that!!
pablothesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 17:05   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

By definition, the value of a boat, or anything, is what a buyer is willing to pay for it and not necessarily what the owner thinks it is worth. If something does not sell in a long time and it is being marketed properly then it is overpriced.

With boats finding a fair market value based on what similar boats have sold for is very difficult because fewer boats are sold and there are a lot more variables with boats that determine value than there is with cars for example.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying