Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2019, 17:53   #1

Advice on buying first boat

So i think i may have found my first boat! Its a 1983 22ft*macgregor*with retractable*keel. I like that its trailerable so i can move it from lake too lake easily and take it out of the water when im away at work. Id be living on it for 1 week every month in untill the water freezes. The seller is aksing 6800 cnd$. What kinda of questions should i be asking the seller about the*history*of the boat and what kind of things should i be looking for? Id most likely spend most of the time on lake winnipeg where the waves can get up to 6ft high. Do you think this a good*purchase*or should i keep looking?*
Here is the add*

Please view this ad:

MacGregor*22 foot Sailboat,
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/winnipeg/macgregor-22-foot-sailboat/1424903785?utm_source=com.google.android.apps.docs &utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialbuttons&u tm_ content=app_android

Price: $*6,800
Skywalker204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2019, 05:17   #2

Re: Advice on buying first boat

First questions I would suggest is asking yourself what am I primarily buying the boat for. Is it for pleasure? If it is will it just be you or will you have a guest or more? will you all comfortably and safely fit? If yes move on to the next question. You stated that you will be living aboard for 1 week out of every month will that accommodate yourself? Can you cook, bathroom? Standup etc.. So now after you clarify all that move on to asking the owner questions.
1- are there any warranties on anything on the boat now?
2 Last time engine was serviced- Ie engine oil changed, filters etc. how many hours on the engine? Any problems.
3- Are you ok with me having a professional surveyor come and look at the boat and if the inside checks out having the boat hauled out to do a bottom side survey?
4- Can we take the boat out for a sea trial
5- and here are Don Casey's recommendations.. (book inspecting the aging boat)
What should I look for when inspecting a boat? Whether you’re buying new or used, there are a variety of things to keep an eye out for when you buy a boat. An out-of-water inspection is also beneficial to check for any irregularities in the hull. In general, any boat inspection should include an in-depth examination of the following:
– Boat Engine
Bilge
Steering and throttle controls
Electrical components
– Floors & Siding
Propeller
Deck Hardware
Fuel Tanks
Batteries
– Riggings, hardware, and sails
Hull condition
Propeller Shaft
– Upholstery

Keep in mind, if you are buying a boat that’s used you should also check for floor rot, mildew, number of boat hours logged, maintenance history, and also its storage history. This information should be readily available.

I personally even back when I purchased our 28' hired a professional surveyor and it kept me from making a bad mistake. It was well worth the money. Our insurance company also required a survey so that might be something to also look into before purchasing.
I hope I helped you in some way.
Congratulations by the way on finding your first boat.
skipspires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2019, 05:51   #3

Boat: Hunter Passage 42
Re: Advice on buying first boat

Have you been looking for your first boat for a while?

I'd expect a 1983 Macgregor to be worth much less than 6,800. MUCH less.

There should be lots of Catalina, Hunter, Cal boats available for a couple thousand. Frankly I think they would be a more solid choice. If you look at the Mac push on the side of the hull. It is really thin and will flex with very little pressure.

Good luck.
Geek_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, buying