Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2016, 10:08   #16

Boat: Pearson 10M
Re: Advice on a Pearson 26

there is a good Pearson group on google dozens of P26 owners in the group.
parson-boats@googlegroups.com
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 11:30   #17

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

I've had a lot of experience with Pearsons. I have found them to be very well built. Of course get a survey and sea trial. Some will say it's not worth the money but I am not of that mind.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 13:52   #18

Boat: Pearson 36-2, Pearson 26 'annapolis'

I've had a P26 for 13 years and am amazed at how it just keeps on going. It has sailed in rather nasty conditions. I got caught once in a nasty blow on the lake and gave her a kiss when I got back to the dock. It has been a relatively maintenance free boat with the normal stuff like batteries and engine maintenance. I would however be sure the trailer is worth it, because the boat is probably only worth 2k at most with a good bottom.
TomLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 14:30   #19

Boat: In the market for the time being!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellanyachts View Post
I've had a lot of experience with Pearsons. I have found them to be very well built. Of course get a survey and sea trial. Some will say it's not worth the money but I am not of that mind.
I've got a nice surveyor locally (took forever to find her) who is only $10 a ft. She seems to know a lot... at that price it seems worth it to me. Surveyor was tough to find. I looked online and nothing... called the 3 boat yards in town. One (Toledo yard) does more with keel boats and the names of 3 surveyors none of which have any online presence. Astounding! lol

The wife really doesn't like what they've done to the inside of that Pearson with removing the table, sink etc. I'm thinking who cares? I at best we're probably doing early mornings till late evenings with an occasional overnight at some of the coastal parks between here and Coos Bay should we venture out past the river bar. So, bring a BBQ, water jugs and camping food. Should still be a good time.
maplemale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 18:51   #20

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOffice View Post
The 26 is slow, heavy and does not point well. That one is overpriced. You can buy a Pearson 30 for $5,000
Agreed. And I actually bought a P30 for about that much (CDN!). I've looked at the P26, and although I never sailed one, it looks like a good design, and a better built and finished boat than my crappy P30. For a small boat, the P26 rates high on my list.

Don't worry about electrical. Tear it all out. Get some LED flashlights, handheld vhf and gps, and battery operated running lights. Total cost much less than an electrical panel, group 24 battery, etc....

However, because of the age and size of the boat, it should be dirt cheap, almost free. Not many people interested in owning this sort of boat. I would push the seller for a better price. IMHO, $1000 is fair, or whatever the trailer is worth.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 19:52   #21

Sounds like they screwed up a nice Pearson 26. You have so many options
Sidney777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 21:56   #22

Boat: Truant Triad 37 Cutter-Alaska, Leopard 40 Cat, Bahamas

As for the "overpriced" or really, to think of something as "underpriced", I could care less about every other boat listed somewhere affecting the pricing structure. What matters is the individual boat. A nicely equipped and maintained boat that has features you need is much more valuable than something that happens to be cheaper.

So, on a $5k type boat, I would spend a lot less worry about saving a few bucks to get it in line with someone's concept of "overpriced" than making sure I was buying something sound that I happen to like, among other principles.

If we were talking about a $100k boat that was vastly overpriced it would be somewhat different but only in scope. Still would want to make sure the individual boat was solid and not worry about the money as much.
seahag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 13:26   #23

Pearson 26 Salon Ports

I am hoping to find replacement frames or complete ports for a 1977 Pearson 26. Can anyone assist?
JKYC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pearson