Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2012, 09:14   #1

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft
Kindle or Nook ?

I'm an avid reader and have books stashed in every nook & cranny on Amapola. I buy used books at thrift stores and have at least a hundred on board. I think I'm an ideal candidate for an e-reader and would like to hear about your experience with them aboard.

Thanks,
Susan
Old 23-07-2012, 09:16   #2

Boat: 99 Island Packet 380
Re: Kindle or Nook?

We have a Nook. It works well and is compact, but the smaller screen means you are turning pages often.
Old 23-07-2012, 09:37   #3
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Can´t imagine life without a kindle now. One of those few devices which does only one thing but does it really well.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2012, 09:43   #4

Boat: Mason 43

My current favorite is Kindle. I have been using ebooks for about 15 years now, on laptop, smart phone and Pocket PC. Went with Kindle because libraries now lend books in Kindle format.
jmackay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2012, 10:31   #5

Boat: TBD

Get the Nexus 7, then you'll have a Kindle, a Nook, and Google Books all on the same device, and it is a spectacularly good device.
hblask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2012, 10:36   #6
cruiser

IMO Nook Glow for certain.

Not tied nearly as tight to the vendor - i.e wider range of compatible file formats.

Read in bright sun And in the dark. Love a little Nookie at night or day.

I get most of my ebooks on-line for free from www.gutenberg.org/

Micro SD card slot means limitless library.

free book:
confessions of a cruising sailor
http://www.arachnoid.com/sailbook/confessions.zip

the one negative compared to my original nook is no mp3 player
Noname1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2012, 10:43   #7

Boat: Pearson 422

We opted for Kindle. Deciding factor was that we could buy 1 'copy' of a book, and then both of us read it on our own devices. So we have 2 kindles on the same account that let us essentially read the same book at the same time so we can discuss the book together.

I do missing scribbling in the margins...
Paperbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2012, 10:47   #8

I like that the older Kindle styles are not backlit. You can read them in direct sunlight and they have ridiculously long battery life. The 3g model offeres free 3g if you connect to amazon to download new books. I don't need my E- reader to be a computer, so the ability to read in sunlight, battery life and ability to easy and cheaply download books are my highest criteria. FYI- Turn the wireless/3g connection off unless you browsing and buying books to extend batt. life even more.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2012, 10:48   #9

Boat: Niagara 35

For Canadians stumbling across this discussion... We went with Kobo because the offering for Kindle in Canada is way worse than in the states. So unless you have a US post office box/ credit card, or whatever, you can't access the decent content.

Also, you can only access US libraries on the Kindle. You can access Canadian libraries on the Kobo. If we were in the US, I think that I would have gone with the Kindle.

I also love the e-ink displays and wouldn't want to go with an ipad or whatever. Daylight readability and eye friendlieness are the big factors (as well as massive battery life).
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2012, 10:50   #10

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34

I have had a Kindle from the first year they came out and now have a wifi only Kindle. Both worked very well. My wife and I share an account and I read some of her books and she reads some of mine. But not many unfortunately.

For cruising you might consider the Kindle with built in a cell phone connection . Kindle has the only e book reader with that feature, although iPad does as well. You can download books almost everywhere with the cell phone feature.

Having said all of the above, I am considering buying a Nexus 7. It has all of the capabilities of the Kindle as well as a color, night time readable display (so does the Kindle Fire) and it is a fully capable pad computer. But no cell phone connection; wifi only.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2012, 11:13   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

I got a nook, mainly as its battery life was twice what the kindle was. (for Epaper screen). Plus no ads and of course I rooted mine and can email, etc with it now too (where wifi is available). Both Nook and Kindle are android tablets with the amazon or B&N wrapper around it.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2012, 11:13   #12
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hblask View Post
Get the Nexus 7, then you'll have a Kindle, a Nook, and Google Books all on the same device, and it is a spectacularly good device.
Maybe when you can read it in bright sunshine and the battery lasts for a month..

Wouldn't say no to a Nexus though.
Old 23-07-2012, 11:30   #13

Boat: searching...

For a Cruiser the Kindle which has "Experimental" in it is the way to go....

I uses free G3 bandwith to connect you with the internet, and yes for free!. Works so far well in the whole Caribbean. I admit its mostly dead slow but enough for weather and small mails. So if it happens that you do not travel with an expensive Cellphone Data contract, or SSB its really a nice add one.

Yes it reads books as well :-)
swisscraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2012, 12:15   #14
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisscraft View Post
For a Cruiser the Kindle which has "Experimental" in it is the way to go....

I uses free G3 bandwith to connect you with the internet, and yes for free!. Works so far well in the whole Caribbean. I admit its mostly dead slow but enough for weather and small mails. So if it happens that you do not travel with an expensive Cellphone Data contract, or SSB its really a nice add one.

Yes it reads books as well :-)
Looks like the golden gooses eggs might be a bit thinner these days

Amazon seem to be keeping quiet about it but seems to be a 50Mb per month cap on 3g. Still, keep sensible that's a lot of weather forecasts & email checking.

Chronicles of nobody: 50 MB limit per month on 3G usage for Kindle Keyboard (KKB) Users Outside U.S.
Old 23-07-2012, 12:20   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

The weight, battery life, day light readability, and size of the base Kindle is ideal for me. Really easy to hold it with one hand, way easier to use than a book, flip a page or a chapter with the touch of a button. Have the expensive Kindle leather cover with LED night light powered off the kindle battery for reading in the dark. Battery will easily last through a book using the LED night light and many books using ambient light. With heavy use only have to charge about once a week but typically weeks between charging. Have the old Kindle with keypad at the bottom and WiFi only. Has worked great downloading books. Would probably buy the cell phone model with buttons if I was cruising to make book downloads more convenient. I only use it for reading so don't have any input on email or other bene's

Have tried using my wife's IPad but hate it for reading. It's too heavy and big, worse than a real book. I constantly accidentally touch something on the screen sending the damn thing off on some electronic bender.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote