Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2019, 09:51   #1

wireless wind indicator

I'm considering installing a wireless wind indicator (Raymarine). What is the experiance with these instruments?
Charisma1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 10:33   #2

Boat: Oyster 435
Re: wireless wind indicator

I just mounted a Garmin wired wind transducer and was originally going to install the wireless. I called Garmin technical support regarding another matter and asked them about the wireless transducer. I won't get into the details but the tech guys recommended a wired unit. My advice it to call Raymarine technical support and see what they say.
Tsuru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 17:31   #3

Boat: Marlow Hunter 40

Was it a battery issue they were concerned about? I am wondering how the wireless part at the top of the mast has power without some sort of battery that you have to replace frequently.
Sbroddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 17:46   #4

Boat: Lidgard yacht 32ft

I have recently installed a B&G wireless wind system. Really happy with it. The local Raymarine technician advised against the Raymarine wireless unit. His words were that they suffer from interference.
Davo1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 17:48   #5

Boat: Lidgard yacht 32ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbroddle View Post
Was it a battery issue they were concerned about? I am wondering how the wireless part at the top of the mast has power without some sort of battery that you have to replace frequently.
The battery should last for years.
Davo1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 17:56   #6

Boat: Oyster 435

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbroddle View Post
I apologize that I missed this post. The Garmin unit does have a battery that should last several years (3 as I recall from memory). It has a small solar charger and the concern expressed by the Garmin Tech. was that due to the long low light winter conditions here in Northern Oregon that it wouldn't receive adequate charge. They also said something about max distance but I don't recall the details.
All in all I was pleased with the Garmin wired unit and technical support from Garmin.
Tsuru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 14:24   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

We had the Garmin unit until it blew away. It was formerly Nexus. Garmin support for it was horrible. The crap I went through after Garmin bought Nexus was just stupid. So after Hurricane Harvey, we went back with Raymarine. As the rig had been pulled, we went wired. If you go wireless, don't go the cheap option, step up and pay the money. The problems we had with the Garmin unit were because of Garmin support, not the product. Batteries DO have to be changed about every 2 years. They are a simple Duracell pair of batteries. I still have TWO new ones, if anyone needs them for their Garmin/Nexus units. PM me your address and I'll give 'em to you.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind