Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2013, 14:43   #46

Boat: Hunter 340
Re: WinchRite

I bought the Winchrite a couple of years ago. It's one the very best purchases I have made for my boat.
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2013, 16:09   #47
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamuJoe View Post
Yep, I like the old movies also. Foretopmen climbing the rigging (and falling overboard) in a storm. A becalmed captain ordering the crew to the boats to pull on oars and tow the ship. Ship's surgeon wacking off crushed limbs. All good entertainment.

"Yanking and pulling" the main halyard would be neither easy nor safe on my boat. I've done it on smaller boats. I can certainly crank up my main by hand, but I've found a tool that makes the operation much more enjoyable. Consequently I sail more and motor less.

For the intent of this discussion, acknowledging that a simple tool like the WinchRite can make sailing easier and safer is constructive and should not be ridiculed. While respecting traditional skills, we want to share ideas that may better enable some of us to continue enjoying our activity in the reality of diminished abilities.

Safe Sailing,
JamuJoe

Of course. I started it because I now have a back problem. The winch rite, assuming it works, and it sounds as if it will, may make the difference for me whether I can keep on sailing or not. I pulled ONCE on a loaded sheet yesterday, and my back's been a drama queen all day.

I really don't think that in the 1850's 67 year old women with back problems were handling the sails on those boats. But me, I want to keep sailing.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2013, 16:11   #48
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgallinger View Post
I bought the Winchrite a couple of years ago. It's one the very best purchases I have made for my boat.

Thank you so much for posting that. I am looking forward to getting to know it. I'm trying to figure out now where I might keep it so it's handy but protected if the boat suddenly heels more than expected.
Old 13-10-2013, 16:44   #49

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

We have had no problems with the Milwaukee (post 39 above). I deliberately ran it without re-charge for three weekends and was able to furl our large headsail without issue. On a fresh charge, it has enough torque to run me up the 80 foot mast (180#). We also use it to hoist the spinnaker from the cabin sole to the mast head. The spinaker is too heavy to haul on deck so out the hatch on a halyard is the ony way. Make sure you have the right angle device installed to reduce the speed 2:1 or you may stall the drive or crater the battery. If you turn the reducer around, it is a 1:2 speed increaser and the torque will be insufficient. In the high torque mode, I think I could part the 7/16" furling line.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2013, 16:50   #50
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
We have had no problems with the Milwaukee (post 39 above). I deliberately ran it without re-charge for three weekends and was able to furl our large headsail without issue. On a fresh charge, it has enough torque to run me up the 80 foot mast (180#). We also use it to hoist the spinnaker from the cabin sole to the mast head. The spinaker is too heavy to haul on deck so out the hatch on a halyard is the ony way. Make sure you have the right angle device installed to reduce the speed 2:1 or you may stall the drive or crater the battery. If you turn the reducer around, it is a 1:2 speed increaser and the torque will be insufficient. In the high torque mode, I think I could part the 7/16" furling line.

I'm sure the Milwaukee is stronger, but it also costs more. I don't need to winch anyone up to the top, just top off my headsail and trim the jib in heavy wind. I think it will do the job for me -- if it doesn't, I'll return it.
Old 13-10-2013, 17:30   #51

Boat: Elan 434

Hi Guys,
We love the Winchrite. It goes on charge the night before sailing and has a charge that lasts us all day. Great for raising the main and sheeting the head sail.
I do find it a lot bigger than a winch handle and worry about it leaving the winch in heavy weather.
The admiral just reminded me that the best time for its use is when we need to reef and now she can handle the whole operation by herself which is great for me as I don't have to put down the beer.
We have had it for 5 years now and got ours by post direct from the states, forget which web site but the service was good and has helped us take some of the load off.
A warning came with the unit Not to use it to raise or lower someone up the mast but when we were trailer sailing we used it to raise the mast. Another time we improved our sailing experiences.

Its a winner.
Derek
Ocean Diamond 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2013, 18:29   #52
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melani View Post
Hi Guys,
We love the Winchrite. It goes on charge the night before sailing and has a charge that lasts us all day. Great for raising the main and sheeting the head sail.
I do find it a lot bigger than a winch handle and worry about it leaving the winch in heavy weather.
The admiral just reminded me that the best time for its use is when we need to reef and now she can handle the whole operation by herself which is great for me as I don't have to put down the beer.
We have had it for 5 years now and got ours by post direct from the states, forget which web site but the service was good and has helped us take some of the load off.
A warning came with the unit Not to use it to raise or lower someone up the mast but when we were trailer sailing we used it to raise the mast. Another time we improved our sailing experiences.

Its a winner.
Derek

That sounds like a GREAT idea, to raise a trailored mast that way. I'm having trouble figuring out where to berth it in the cockpit. I have a t-shaped cockpit. On the port side at the end of the bench I have my instrument panel. In the space between the side bench and the back bench I have a custom-made stool that turns it into an L so someone can sleep in the cockpit (I've even figured out how to keep rain off that person and have slept in the cockpit myself in heavy rain without getting wet). The stool is not always on the boat, but it's there often enough that I can't hang the Winchrite there.

If I hang it on either the port or starboard cabin wall it will interfere with opening the lazerettes.

I may make a cradle for it that can hang from a y-joint in the bimini.
Old 14-10-2013, 06:46   #53

Boat: contessa 32

When I get to the point that I'll need some such device to sail ,that will be the time when I downsize (again).

OK, I haven't tried any ,but I can recognize when I have too much boat.
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2013, 19:54   #54

Boat: Custom

For us Aussies, or cruisers touring our land, I tripped over this in my inbox, not sure if it is the right product or not and doesn't have batteries but there is a Milwaukee and a Makita unit in these links

Buy Milwaukee 2415-20 M12 12V Cordless 3/8" Right Angle Drill Driver | GraysOnline Australia

or (and I really confess to not knowing what this is but seemed similar)

Buy Makita BTL063Z 18V LXT 3/8" Angle Impact Wrench (Bare Tool BTL063) | GraysOnline Australia

Seems cheaper than the $600 plus quoted elsewhere here

"I get knocked down but I get up again" eventually.
Johnathon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2015, 14:53   #55

I know this a late post to the thread but felt I should share my recent experience with a winchrite. Actually two. I started out with a Milwaukee right angle but it was very heavy. Certainly had the power. So I returned and purchased a winchrite based on reviews here. It stripped its gears on the first hoist!! Not even a heavy load. I completed the hoist by hand. So I figured bad QC but I thought it was worth another try. The retailer took it back and I bought another for an upcoming trip. This time I think I got three hoists before it stripped it gears and failed. Poor design,terrible quality and no QC. Who would sell a tool that strips its own gears under load?
Sailnh is offline   Reply With Quote