Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2013, 13:52   #46

Boat: PT-11
Re: West Marine getting worse

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
So your defense of your position is to call me a liar. That says much more about you than it does me.
Have you considered the definition of malarkey lately? Anywy, here we have yet another thread with you arguing against the world. It is absolutely settled fact by now that big chain stores, with their ability to extract volume pricing, put droves of little guys out of business across all spectrums of businesses. But you, in your infinite wisdom, just know its not true. You seem to be the disagreeable type and I have found that those kinds are just not worth the time to argue with. Carry on with the others on this thread, as I am sure you will.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 14:38   #47

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepondancin View Post
Late last fall when I decommissioned my boat, which I leave in the water in the winter. I installed a new Rule 500 gph auto bilge pump to run over the side to eliminate a low spot in my regular bilge pump hose that freezes. I couldn't check it with water, as the water was shut off, and didn't want to bucket sea water. I was in Florida for the winter. My buddy checked the boat and found one battery bank dead. .
Aside from the semi-annual WM rant, this problem sounds like it was self-inflicted because of an easily anticipated problem which wasn't properly addressed in the first place.

Had the boat sunk, my guess is he would be blaming WM for that too.

If you buy a cheap pump and expect it to run a heavy duty cycle, a bit of introspection might be the best choice rather than blaming the other guy ... Or is that just an extension of some infamous American politician's malady...
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 14:54   #48

Boat: Fantasia 35

Quote:
There are several small chandleries in the East Bay that have managed to survive, even tho' they are within spitting distance of West Marine stores. But hell, even West Marine couldn't survive in your area. I think that speaks volumes.
Sorry if I miss led you. It is my understanding that the reason the WM store closed in Palo Alto was because it was their first store and was not large enough to stock the clothing and water toys that WM wanted to push.

It is also my understanding that some of the local bay area boat stores are able to survive because Svendsen's acts as their distributor. They place their orders and if it is in stock a Svendsen truck delivers it the next day directly to their store.

Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 17:12   #49

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

S/V Illlusion, I leave my boat in the water because I truly believe boats are meant to be in water, not on land suffering from point loading. It is something I have done for 10 years without a problem. Where my boat is, there are many boats wet stored, so it can't be that bad. My buddy who checked the boat while I was not in the area, is a well respected dealer of a well respected boat builder, with 30 years of boat experience from service to commissioning and selling. I also had another friend watch the water line. The pump I used was the first of two pumps. The second is a remote diaphragm pump with a float switch higher than the Rule pump. That pump also has a small weep hole in the hose at the low spot, so about a cup of water drains out after the pump cycles. That hole is covered during the boating season, it just is used in the winter. The Rule pump had a hose that went through a vent right over the side, shortest route, rather than a distance through the bilge to the transom. I should have installed it earlier so I could do a flood test, rather than just the test button on the pump. Then again, I don't use canned smoke to check the smoke detectors in my house, I just push the test button. After sailing larger boats (over 30') for almost 40 years, and doing most of my own work, I feel I have the experience to make reasonable decisions, and those decisions are mine, and I accept responsibilty for that. I have sailed from Block Island to Venezuela, and spent the better part of ten years in the Caribbean, before returning to the US, so I also have some sailing experience. It is your fantasy that if the pump failed and the boat sank, I would blame WM. I carry insurance, and pass my surveys with a minimum of suggestions from the surveyor, and have been with my insurance company for about 20 years. They may try to place blame if there is an event, but that is their thing, not mine. There is no heavy duty cycle that the pump would have to endure. These bilge pumps are meant for maintainance dewatering, not catastrophic leaks. The batteries would not stand up to long term pumping, unattended, even with about 750 amp hours. What bilge pumps do you have in your Alden that are heavy duty cycle pumps? My disatisfaction is with dealing with vendors that seem not care about the customer. I take people I deal with at there word. The problem here is I didn't read the fine print of the warranty. I very rarely buy an extended warranty, and I purchased this on for some unknown reason, but when the situation arose, it turns out that $13 was less than buying another pump, waiting for the manufacturer to send me one, as I wouldn't leave the boat unprotected. I read this forum to stay current on the goings on in the boating/cruising world, and felt it was appropriate to relate my experience with a vendor that many use, and I am sure, some buy their extended warranty. I am an Apple user, and when you buy their protection plan, it is good for a time period, not that if you have to get a new phone or computer under warranty that you have to buy the protection again. I was completely surprised by the WM response, and felt that should be passed along. For the Boutique boater, WM fits the bill, but for the serious, dedicated yachty, their business model is missing the mark, in my opinion, and after following all the posts, in the opinion of many others, also.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 17:36   #50

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

I think you missed my point. Sailing to Venezuela or keeping the boat in the water are both irrelevant.

What if you bought a Ferrari and freeze the block because you drained it improperly with a hose that wasn't installed properly?

Would you blame Enzo's company warranty?
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 17:44   #51

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

Of course not, unless they had a design flaw that wouldn't allow the use of anti freeze, and wouldn't allow the block to be drained, and they never said do not use in areas that are prone to freezing. Then again, I never even mentioned holding WM responsible for anything other than poor customer service. It was you hypothesis that if an event happened that I would hold them responsible. I don't think that was ever mentioned by me in any of my posts. What pumps do you have?
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 17:54   #52

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

I'm not really sure what the issue is. This is pretty standard on extended warranties - it covers a single failure in most cases - this isn't just a West Marine policy, it is the same at most other retailers that offer extended warranties as well.

Seems in this case to avoid having to use up the extended warranty you could have had it replaced by the manufacturer?
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 18:49   #53
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytrix View Post
I'm not really sure what the issue is. This is pretty standard on extended warranties - it covers a single failure in most cases - this isn't just a West Marine policy, it is the same at most other retailers that offer extended warranties as well.

Seems in this case to avoid having to use up the extended warranty you could have had it replaced by the manufacturer?
I have never heard of anyone putting a 'one time use' on an extended warranty. Let's hope it doesn't catch on ... can you imagine buying a car and having a minor issue basically 'use up' your warranty ???? I can see it now, 50000 km warranty or until your first claim, whatever comes first.

Just the mere thought of this is offensive!
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 19:55   #54

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Ever purchase road hazard for a tire? Its one time insurance on replacement. You pay for convenience if replacement rather than screw around with waiting to see if its was defective or not. And if you want that convenience again you pay for it again
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 20:48   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

So if you owned a car under warranty and the head cracks and has to be replaced, this means that if it cracks again that they would not replace the head again under warranty?

Really?...that's normal?

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 21:04   #56

Boat: Dufour35 1982 and Moody 425

Way up in the boonies of BC we have one store. Long had the rep of high prices.

Small town so Know the owners for 25 years and the manager.

Anyhow.

Made a list of stuff for my Big Trip.

250ft 3/8 bbb $4.80 ft
Offshore Viking 4 man Canister with cradle $3300
2 x ARC PLB
Old 28-04-2013, 21:07   #57

Post above froze.

AQua arc $315 each
Standard Horizon Matric AIS $350
Old 28-04-2013, 21:08   #58

Give up trying to post. Some prices a little high some lower but I was pleasently surprised. No shipping and I know no hassle warrenty.
Old 28-04-2013, 21:09   #59

Froze again. West Marine have a wide selection and have a great catalogue.
Old 28-04-2013, 22:56   #60

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepondancin View Post
Not to keep kicking a sleeping dog, but there was a time, before they took over Boat US, and before they went public, that they were the boater's best friend. Prices were good, employees were knowledgable and helpful, inventory was good. They stocked way more than most local stores. But now for the serious boater, they just add to the aggravation you experience when you need something to get up and running, and they just act stupid. But then again, they could just go the way of Circuit City, or follow the track ofBest Buy, Sears and JC Penny. No one should be too big to fail. They just pissed me off today.
Back in the late 80's WM was a pretty good outfit. Price matching, well stocked fasteners and hardware. Slowly ut changed. the nut and bolt section shrank, well the clothing section grew. I had a few friends that at one time or another managed some of their stores. they left because of internal policy.
Quote:
Malarkey. The internet suppliers can compete just fine and I got news for you- the mom-and-pop chandleries were dying long before West Marine bought up Boat US.
Hmmm...Svendsens is doing well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Aside from the semi-annual WM rant, this problem sounds like it was self-inflicted because of an easily anticipated problem which wasn't properly addressed in the first place.

Had the boat sunk, my guess is he would be blaming WM for that too.

If you buy a cheap pump and expect it to run a heavy duty cycle, a bit of introspection might be the best choice rather than blaming the other guy ... Or is that just an extension of some infamous American politician's malady...
Because the pump was small, does not mean Rule is a poor or "cheap" pump. How do you know it was a heavy duty cycle? Maybe introspection applies for you as well.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine