Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2021, 18:37   #61

Boat: Lagoon 400S2
Re: Victron Disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewgyver View Post
The OP's issue, which I share, is that Victron doesn't sell the complete shunt as a replacement. It's understandable, as far as I'm concerned, that they don't sell the shunt PCB separately, but it's not understandable to me that they sell the bare shunt, without the PCB, yet not WITH the PCB.

If there's a reasonable explanation for this, I'd love to hear it.
Yes, you can use the PCB on many different size shunts. I upgraded mine to 1000A. There is even a 2000A version. Some feel, the 500A is too big, there are smaller shunts too.

The PCB is a proprietary part of the BMV, so you buy a new set or sent it back for repair/replacement. Having the PCB you can make your own BMV without other Victron parts, this (and the display) are the core of the product.
Old 11-09-2021, 18:53   #62

Boat: Ta Chiao 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
Yes, you can use the PCB on many different size shunts. I upgraded mine to 1000A. There is even a 2000A version. Some feel, the 500A is too big, there are smaller shunts too.

The PCB is a proprietary part of the BMV, so you buy a new set or sent it back for repair/replacement. Having the PCB you can make your own BMV without other Victron parts, this (and the display) are the core of the product.
I meant a reasonable explanation for not selling the complete shunt, and that I considered it understandable that they won't sell the PCB separately. So you're saying that somebody could buy the bare PCB, reverse engineer and build the display and write their own firmware? That is not a reasonable explanation.
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 19:58   #63

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

On the bright side it finally looks like right to repair is making its way through various rule making process
Old 14-09-2021, 14:53   #64

Thanks fir the heads -up on Victron. Our only recourse to situations like this is maximum negative PR.

Plus it’s good public service to your mates out there.
We need more (a LOT more) posts like this.
2hulls4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2021, 14:55   #65

Brahahaha haha! Great reply!!
2hulls4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2021, 15:00   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2hulls4me View Post
Thanks fir the heads -up on Victron. Our only recourse to situations like this is maximum negative PR.

Plus it’s good public service to your mates out there.
We need more (a LOT more) posts like this.
It MIGHT be a good public service, except it is ALL TOTAL BS. The circuit boards are readily available, no matter what the OP says. This has been pointed out a number of times in this thread.

But the trolls demand feeding
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2021, 15:07   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewgyver View Post
The OP's issue, which I share, is that Victron doesn't sell the complete shunt as a replacement. It's understandable, as far as I'm concerned, that they don't sell the shunt PCB separately, but it's not understandable to me that they sell the bare shunt, without the PCB, yet not WITH the PCB.

If there's a reasonable explanation for this, I'd love to hear it.
There is no "reasonable explanation" because there is NONE NEEDED. The PCBs ARE available as a separate part! Go back through the thread and LOOK FOR THE LINKS.

It has been reported a number of times in this thread, but the trolls keep repeated the lie that they are not.

I can only assume they KNOW at this point it is a lie, or they are just choosing to ignore the truth. The end result is no different.
Old 14-09-2021, 15:12   #68
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKny View Post
The PCBs ARE available as a separate part! Go back through the thread and LOOK FOR THE LINKS.
We sell them in Canada. I have sold a handful over the last few years.

We do not ship to the US but there are Victron dealers throughout the US.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2021, 15:37   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
We sell them in Canada. I have sold a handful over the last few years.

We do not ship to the US but there are Victron dealers throughout the US.
You have said so in this thread in the past.

Victron has made clear on their support forum that they are a valid part number available from distributors.

I know PKYS in Annapolis has sold them in the past. Other dealers carry them as well.

Some people only feel important if they can be trashing somebody--facts be damned.
Old 14-09-2021, 15:45   #70

Boat: Outremer 50S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
...We made no money checking on this for you, yet spent quite a bit of time trying to help you track this part down. I would ask that you remember that the next time you buy marine gear off the net from a dealer who offers zero support..
Did you gloss over this post in your insistence that the parts are readily available and the OP is a troll? It seems that our own MaineSail, a very reputable electrical dealer had a hard time tracking the PCB part down. Or would you rather believe a picture on a website and to keep ranting about a troll? Even though the OP came back repeatedly when links were posted and reported "no actual stock"?

Remember the CF mantra "be nice"?
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2021, 18:54   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
Did you gloss over this post in your insistence that the parts are readily available and the OP is a troll? It seems that our own MaineSail, a very reputable electrical dealer had a hard time tracking the PCB part down. Or would you rather believe a picture on a website and to keep ranting about a troll? Even though the OP came back repeatedly when links were posted and reported "no actual stock"?

Remember the CF mantra "be nice"?
I'll tell you what: I'll be every bit as "nice" to the OP as he has been to Victron. He has accused Victron of not supporting their product with spare parts. This is just not true.

In case he hasn't noticed, supply chains around the world are a bit buggered up right now. To equate a lack of stock of ONE particular part with a policy of poor customer support is, well, just "not nice."

But this thread is now on my ignore list, becasue there is nothing I have left to add.
Old 14-09-2021, 21:16   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKny View Post
I'll tell you what: I'll be every bit as "nice" to the OP as he has been to Victron. He has accused Victron of not supporting their product with spare parts. This is just not true.

In case he hasn't noticed, supply chains around the world are a bit buggered up right now. To equate a lack of stock of ONE particular part with a policy of poor customer support is, well, just "not nice."

But this thread is now on my ignore list, becasue there is nothing I have left to add.
HI Bill
You are full of DoDo
I offered you 3 times the invoice amount if you would
buy this readily available part for me.
And what happened
You disappeared and climbed into a rat hole somewhere
As I said before
I like this bit of kit and like Victron stuff in general
I stand 100% behind what I have said
I even opened up my offer of 3x payment plus shipping to
Anybody who could source this part for me
and actually deliver it.
Guess What
No Takers
Offer now rescinded
Stick it
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2021, 21:27   #73

Boat: Sabre 34 , Island Packet 38

I ordered this pc board from supreme tackle , paid $20 or so, on 8/30/2021.
Website said “in stock”. After 2 weeks, no order info other than waiting to ship, and no response to three requests for status of order. Now site says out of stock.

Maybe Supreme Tackle is a rip-off!

https://supreme-tackle.myshopify.com/
Old 14-09-2021, 23:07   #74
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Go View Post
HI Bill
You are full of DoDo
I offered you 3 times the invoice amount if you would
buy this readily available part for me.
And what happened
You disappeared and climbed into a rat hole somewhere
As I said before
I like this bit of kit and like Victron stuff in general
I stand 100% behind what I have said
I even opened up my offer of 3x payment plus shipping to
Anybody who could source this part for me
and actually deliver it.
Guess What
No Takers
Offer now rescinded
Stick it
Still, you ignore Bill’s points that your statement about Victron support is not true and that availability of parts is a worldwide issue for all manufacturers. All that is just as true as your observation that it is sold out everywhere.

Also, you ignored calls to send it back to Victron for warranty service, while I and others have explained how good that service is. It seems you don’t want to be helped, just complain.

Now you can attack me

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2021, 01:14   #75

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I look at situations like this as a personal challenge. I would find my own way to fix the effing PCB. I had a similar situation with a Katadyn watermaker. A bearing in the drive unit got wet and went out. I asked for a new bearing, and was told that the drive unit was not repairable, and I would need to buy a new drive for 2500 euro. It took me a while ,but I found the exact cam follower bearing Katadyn had used and bought two for $15. Ask me whether I would ever buy another Katadyn product.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men