Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2019, 10:06   #46
Marine Service Provider

Re: Trinidad SR

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
What I'd like to do is talk to the hull cleaners who have hands-on experience maintaining the boats using your product. You willing to identify them?
I am 100% open to this, the problem is we are incredibly new in the market. We have had this stuff and known it is very effective for going on 4 years now but have only started taking it serious as a business opportunity recently. As it stands I cannot provide anyone who is cleaning our hulls regularly as that person does not exist. I have a few customers who have purchased 1 gallons to trial it on portions of their hull and a small boat which I personally coated that is sitting off a dock on the intra coastal waterway here in Charleston. Other than that we have the fiberglass sample board that is coated with Micron 66, Micron CF and our stuff. That particular sample board has been in the water for 2 years.
AntiFoulingGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2019, 10:44   #47
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiFoulingGuy View Post
I cannot provide anyone who is cleaning our hulls regularly as that person does not exist.

Well, that’s convenient. [emoji849]

So zinc pyrithione doesn’t qualify as a heavy metal?
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2019, 10:47   #48

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
I am 100% open to this, the problem is we are incredibly new in the market. We have had this stuff and known it is very effective for going on 4 years now but have only started taking it serious as a business opportunity recently. As it stands I cannot provide anyone who is cleaning our hulls regularly as that person does not exist. I have a few customers who have purchased 1 gallons to trial it on portions of their hull and a small boat which I personally coated that is sitting off a dock on the intra coastal waterway here in Charleston. Other than that we have the fiberglass sample board that is coated with Micron 66, Micron CF and our stuff. That particular sample board has been in the water for 2 years.

How about posting a pic of that sample board?

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2019, 11:05   #49
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Well, that’s convenient. [emoji849]

So zinc pyrithione doesn’t qualify as a heavy metal?
I can't provide you with what I don't have. Trust me I would love to be able to give you this and I don't find starting from square 1 to be convenient either.

Touche, zinc is a heavy metal. Let me restate myself by saying our formulation is less harmful to the environment since it uses Econea which is preferred by regulatory agencies to Copper and Zinc which is preferred to Irgarol.
Old 15-09-2019, 11:08   #50
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
How about posting a pic of that sample board?
This is after one full season, stationary off the dock in Charleston, SC. We are in white while Micron 66 is the standard pale blue. I have not taken pictures since last year around this time and I will take some fresh ones and update here tomorrow to show progress.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_7545.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	347.7 KB
ID:	199886  
Old 15-09-2019, 11:19   #51
Marine Service Provider

Here are some pics of the john boat I painted, it has been tied up off the same dock since March and after sitting stationary for 4 months had quite a bit of soft growth with zero hard growth. These pictures are from after running it around the river for 5 minutes at about 15/20 mph. The extra clean spots you see are from rubbing the surface by hand with a splash of water. Most of the soft growth came right off with the friction of running water with just ugly discoloration left behind. The back of the boat pictured here still had some algae on it since it didn't see as much friction.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190620_155715.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	403.5 KB
ID:	199890   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190620_155808.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	419.2 KB
ID:	199891  

Old 15-09-2019, 11:28   #52
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
... Our current formulation contains 6% econea and 4.8% zinc pyrithione...
So do Pettite’s Hydrocoat Eco, Ultima Eco, & ECO HRT.
Perhaps you’re wasting your time.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2019, 11:36   #53
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
So do Pettite’s Hydrocoat Eco, Ultima Eco, & ECO HRT.
Perhaps you’re wasting your time.
The difference in our product is the foundation of the coating. With Econea and Zinc removed we sell the same paint as an anti bacterial coating for the commercial food industry. It is typically used on floors where food is processed or coating the interior of coolers. I've attached a picture of the Micron CF which in fact does contain 6% econea and 4.8% zinc. We are on the left and Micron CF on the right, the difference is clear! You will also notice a thin line in the middle of both sections where i attempted to removed growth with a thumb nail scratch.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_7564.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	333.0 KB
ID:	199892  
Old 15-09-2019, 11:40   #54
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Trinidad SR

Well, I know a Charleston hull cleaner who is interested in applying your product to a boat. Give me a name and email address and I'll put you in touch.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2019, 11:44   #55
Marine Service Provider

I sent you a private message, thanks for the interest.
Old 17-09-2019, 13:19   #56
Marine Service Provider

As promised here is the 2 year update. I went ahead and made a video so you can see how easily the soft growth comes off.

https://youtu.be/7Mxb3dSSyws

I wish I would have done trials with Trinidad seeing as they are the favorite around here.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Full board with text.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	420.8 KB
ID:	200026  
Old 17-09-2019, 18:58   #57
cruiser

Boat: 1963 Pearson Ariel, Hull 75

I just had my boat hauled after three years in the Pacific south of S.F. Bay. I almost felt disappointed because the Trinidad SR looked new. My first thought was: "Maybe I should've waited another year."

I had two coats applied this time: the bottom coat is black and the top coat red. That way I'll see if the top coat eroded at all at the next haul out, hopefully three years in the future.
Cpt Pat is offline   Reply With Quote