Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2021, 18:25   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40
small flying insects in our boat

Hi,

Annoyingly, we have small, flying insects in our boat. We're located in Fort Lauderdale. I smash about 20 each day; my hands are getting sore.

Like moths they leave a dusting of pollen when flattened. Their wing shape resembles those of flies. But these insects are smaller and slower than flies.

When I see them outside in the sunlight they appear to be albino. In any event I don't think I can photograph them. They are too small and fleeting.

The most likely place they are entering is via the companionway door louvers. I'll cover the louvers with screen material.

But, invariably some will get in each day. I want to eliminate those and any who've taken up residence in the boat.

Any recommendations as to a product for this problem? I'd prefer something I can purchase locally (Ace, Lowes, Home Depot).

If the simple solution doesn't work I would consider hiring an exterminator.

Thank you
vpbarkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2021, 18:36   #2

Boat: Coast 34 Sail
Re: small flying insects in our boat

Check with other local boaters. Insects are a fact of life unless you are ice boating. If they aren't biting and aren't eating the wood on the boat it still can be annoying. Strike up some conversations with fellow dock or anchor mates and see how they cope.
Tomodore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 04:14   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomodore View Post
Check with other local boaters. Insects are a fact of life unless you are ice boating. If they aren't biting and aren't eating the wood on the boat it still can be annoying. Strike up some conversations with fellow dock or anchor mates and see how they cope.
I think this is a brilliant suggestion.

Up here in Ontario, we have spiders that seem to move in and take over ones topsides as soon as the boat is put to bed for the weekend...

There's a very effective spray we all know about, which is touted frequently, should anyone begin a whinge about getting rid of those damn spiders...!

I'll just bet it's the same where you are, VP, and your dockmates will have the key pest-control elixir.

Good luck,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 04:40   #4
CLOD

Boat: none

They sound like tiny moths

But seem nothing compared to the invisible flying teeth bugs that you only know visited you the next day
Old 23-04-2021, 04:47   #5
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Exterminator? Just set off a fogger (bug bomb), leave the boat closed for a couple hours then ventilate.

That said, this is only workable if you can keep them out afterwards. What you have sounds like some form of no-see-ums that are hard to keep out. We kill them with these bug-zap-rackets.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 04:51   #6

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Moths?
Get a cat - ours loves them.

Invisible flying teeth bugs?
Pull up anchor and choose a better spot.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 04:56   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: small flying insects in our boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Exterminator? Just set off a fogger (bug bomb), leave the boat closed for a couple hours then ventilate.

That said, this is only workable if you can keep them out afterwards. What you have sounds like some form of no-see-ums that are hard to keep out. We kill them with these bug-zap-rackets.
Yeah those are brilliant Jedi.. this last year or so, started around the time Covid appeared, we have been getting moth like bugs in the apartment..
Bought one of those rackets at the Chinese shop down the road.. it has not stopped the invasion but the loud 'Crack' and crackle after is very satisfying...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 05:02   #8

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Make sure your little buddies aren't being attracted to some source of food with sugar in it that you leave out—bananas are a good candidate.

Also, if you feel like committing mass murder, try putting out a glass of red wine overnight and see if there's a few of them buggers floating around in the a.m.

They get attracted by the smell and, like so many of us, once in their cups end up pickled.
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 05:36   #9

They could be drain flys from your shower drain you can put some duct tape over the drains and check it after several hours to see if they are stuck to it. That will show you where they may be coming from then you can treat them. If they are coming from drain some very hot water will kill the eggs.
PLANET EXPRESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 08:55   #10

Could they be pantry moths ? Worth looking it up.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 09:12   #11

Boat: Norseman 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Moths? Get a cat - ours loves them.
Trade little flying bugs for fleas and cat hair? No thanks. lolol
Sailor647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 09:14   #12

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40

I had to look up pantry moths. We don't have those.

I'll try taping the shower drain to see if they are coming from there.

I appreciate all your input. Thank you.
vpbarkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 10:00   #13

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38

Pantry pests. They come in with your groceries. They can be very stubborn to get rid of as they multiply rapidly. I got rid my washing everything inside of cabinets and then used a sticky triangle shaped tee pee thing that had a scent to attract them and a sticky surface that trapped them. Took a while but finally got rid of them.
KadeyKrogen38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 10:20   #14

Boat: Century Raven 17'
Send a message via MSN to BugzyCan

We used to buy bulk food from the grocery store, the kind where you scoop as much as you want into plastic bags. One time we opened the kitchen cabinet and it was full of caterpillars, which then hatched into moths, and it took months to get rid of them. We don't buy bulk food anymore.
If your boat happens to be anchored in a spot where these moths live, then an exterminator is a waste of time, or short term at best. Best fix is to find a new place to anchor.
BugzyCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 10:37   #15

Boat: 1976 AMF Paceship 23

If it's a really old boat, you can try setting it on fire to get rid of them......
KenKo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat