Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Product or Service Reviews & Evaluations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2012, 06:21   #1

Thumbs up Max Power CT80 Bow Thruster Selection / installation

I recently installed a Max Power CT80 on my 42 foot Hunter Passage. I wanted to share the experience, as I know many often consider, which thruster, and more important, who will install it. After months on on line research, countless boat shows and talking to fellow sailors, I found Rick Sweeten who owns In Line Six Services in New Jersey.

In addition to being a avid sailor, I have managed a large shipyard for 35 years, so, I am a good judge of quality work. In all of those years, I must say, Rick and his crew provided the most professional installation possible. I was indeed a pleasurable experience to witness his two day ballet of ripping the forward stateroom apart, cutting two precise holes in a perfect good boat, installing the equipment that when finished looked as if it "grew" there, and finally replacing the joiner work and returning the Sea Monkey to a condition that looks like nothing ever happened.

A bow thruster is an expensive addition to your yacht. I wanted the freedom of being able to single hand my boat on any given day, without depending on the need for someone to assist me in and out of my marina. The new thruster, like my auto pilot is like having another crewman on the boat, given that I found it well worth the expense.
sea monkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 08:47   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Bow thruster selection/installation

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, sea monkie.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 06:37   #3

I know this is an older thread, but if you wouldn't mind, can you give us a rough order of magnitude for the cost of the thruster? We got blown around quite a bit last season while trying to dock, and I can see where one would come in handy.
JimGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 07:31   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Depending upon HP rating & etc:
± $1,200 → $10,000 + installation.

Max Power Electric Tunnel Thruster CT80 12V
List Price: $3,179.08 USD

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 07:43   #5

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts

Ok, time for another newby question. Is there a situation when I will need to use a bow thruster and the windlass at the same time? Can I put them on the same circuit and save the cost of runnint 2 big conductors all the way to the bow? I'll wire them to meet the draw of which ever one draws the most. Is this ok?
Matt sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 08:12   #6

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt sachs View Post
Ok, time for another newby question. Is there a situation when I will need to use a bow thruster and the windlass at the same time? Can I put them on the same circuit and save the cost of runnint 2 big conductors all the way to the bow? I'll wire them to meet the draw of which ever one draws the most. Is this ok?
Some install a battery up forward and just run charge wires forward using a combiner at the battery. Long battery cables are very expensive and difficult to run.

And, personally, I would think one would not need a bow thruster and windless at the same time unless it were a large vessel trying to get up to a dock against a strong wind.
Old 23-01-2013, 08:20   #7

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt sachs View Post
Yes, you can and should use your windlass power cables for your bow thruster. You will never need both at the same time
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 08:38   #8

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts

Thanks guys.
Matt sachs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
installation