Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-11-2009, 10:11   #1

Boat: Lagoon 37 (TPI)
Link 2000 Replacement Recommendations

Our Link 2000 died 13 months after installation and we are looking for a battery monitoring system replacement. I am not going to be buying any more Xantrex products after this... Why? We have used a Link 2000 on our boats for several years. The Link got zapped by lightening and it was replaced by the insurance company early last year. On our return from the Bahamas, our Link started showing a negative discharge on one of the banks even though testing showed positive current flow during charging. I called up technical support when we got back to the Keys and after a round of in situ testing, Xantrex agreed that the Link was defective. The tech support person mentioned that they have been having trouble with the Link 2000's and may be discontinued. When it came time to replace the unit, I mentioned that we installed it 13 months ago (it's a 12 month warranty) and things changed. Sorry, too bad, the warranty is expired. To say the least I wasn't happy. A $600 piece of eletronics has a defect and it's one month out of warranty so too bad. [IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/johnsona/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]

This is so different than our previous experience. When we got struck by lightening several years ago Xantrex replaced the Link 2000 for $75...no questions asked. Very good customer service then...very poor customer service now. It's interesting to note that West Marine no longer carries the Link 2000...mmmm

Anyway, I am looking at the Blue Sea Systems VSM 422 Vessel Systems Monitor and wondering if anyone has any recommendations about this or alternatives we should look at. The Blue Sea Systems monitor has a 3 year warranty. Thanks in advance for your recommendations...
SVKokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote