Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2011, 10:13   #1

Unhappy Fairview Marina , Pasadena , MD

In March of this year I contacted the owners of Fairview Marina to inquire about a boat that was on their property. I told them that I was interested in purchasing the boat and that the owner had received a quote to repair the boat from the marina owner. The owner of Fairview Marina confirmed that he quoted the repair was about $3000 and that he could make the boat as good or stronger than it was before the damage. At that time he did not mention that the marina would plan to charge me for storage that had already been paid by the owner of the boat. I have a copy of the contract between Fairview Marina and the previous owner of the boat stating that storage had been paid through the winter and to have the boat put back in the water.

I then signed a Bill of Sale with the boat owner to purchase the boat and left him a $100 non refundable deposit. A few days later the owner of Fairview Marina called me to tell me that they were not going to honor the previous contract to store the boat for the rest of the winter and instead wanted to charge me again at a higher rate. I told them that I would not sign a contract and let them charge me for something that had already been paid for. The boat was on land at this time and could not be moved due to other boats being in the way.

The owner then contacted me again threatening to charge me more money for storage than he originally said. He said that he would not do the repairs for the original quote of $3000 and said that he would charge $6000 for the repairs.

The owner contacted me another time and said that they were now going to charge me $200 per month plus $30 per day for storage, this is roughly 10-12 times the normal rate for storage in this area. Again, storage had already been paid for this boat and I had no way to move the boat since it was blocked in by other boats. They are trying to double charge me for storage and at a rate that is roughly 10-12 times higher than a normal rate. If they would have told me about this before I had purchased the boat, which they had an opportunity to do, then I could have worked something out with the previous owner. Instead they are trying to do as much harm to me as possible with no provocation.

If anyone has suggestions or can help me out please let me know, they are currently holding my boat hostage.
joburnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 11:31   #2

Boat: Bayfield 40
Re: Fairview Marina, Pasadena, MD - Avoid At All Cost!!!

Is it really your boat or have you just left a $100 deposit? I would tell the seller that you are not going through with the purchase since he cannot deliver you the boat "free & clear" (and demand the $100 back). I'd tell him that if he can get the boat in the water and away from that marina then you will complete the sale. Just in the water at the marina doesn't protect you at all. If he can't or if the repairs needed make the boat unable to float then I'd walk away from the $100. If it legally is your boat then I'd talk to a lawyer. Good luck.

-Bill
Bill Shuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 11:34   #3

Unfortunately I already paid for the boat in its entirety. I'm going to have to get lawyers involved now I think.
Old 26-05-2011, 11:36   #4

Boat: gulfstar ketch 41 Surya

Not a lawyer but...

As I understand it marinas and yards have every right to collect debts and hold the boat hostage. Your only recourse is what you have in writing. If you can I guess you should walk away if you can or hire an attorney to give them a call.
S/V_Surya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 11:42   #5

I've done what I can do right now, filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and left horrible reviews all over the internet. Lets see how much his reputation is worth to him.
Old 26-05-2011, 11:52   #6

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman

Hell some of these guys don't care about reputation, really do you think he does.
Tell him you want your boat call a trucker tell the yard when the trucker is going to show up and when its not ready call the police and file a complaint that he has literally stolen your boat... show the marina owner two can play nasty,,, sorry sometimes you have to be as bad as them and with the complaint it cost the county lawyer fees to press the charge not you..
Did I really say that

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 12:25   #7
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Fairview Marina , Pasadena , MD

Playing the devil's advocate, I assume you did speak to the marina owners, and come to an agreement for the transfer of berth / standing? Because it would have been very presumptuous to just assume they would cross out a name on a legal contract and write in yours instead...
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:43   #8

After reading Mr. Burnettes slanderous remarks throughout the internet, I feel the need the set the record straight. My name is Jake Kahan. I am a manager @ Fairview Marina. My father is the owner that Mr. Burnette seems to demonize.

Nothing was asked of him that isn't asked of and followed every other person at our marina. Our Rules and Regulations and our insurance requirements protect our customers and our property.

Our contract like all contracts is never transferable. They are agreement of terms between two parties. Despite Fairview's best efforts, this agreement was never made with Mr. Burnett. We tried long and hard to come to terms with him. His refusal to follow common etiquette, rules and regulations, and obtain and show insurance where negligible and put us and our customers at risk.

What is a marina supposed to do?
Mr. Burnette ignored:
-well posted signs
-multiple calls and messages from the office manager, and marina owner
-certified letters
-direct conversations with marina owner

On multiple occasions he told us that he would comply. Said when he would be down to provide the nessesary proof of insurance and complete a storage contract. However, he never did. What more can a marina do?
Ultimately it took contacting Mr. Burnettes father to get anywhere. We discounted the storage charges, which were paid by his Father. His Father was very apologetic for his son’s behavior.
Mr. Burnette made a complaint to the BBB. The BBB agreed with our position.
It is unfortunate that Mr. Burnette refused to comply with reasonable requirments and feels the need to discredit us.
Jake Kahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:56   #9

Boat: Taswell 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Kahan View Post
After reading Mr. Burnettes slanderous remarks throughout the internet, I feel the need the set the record straight. My name is Jake Kahan. I am a manager @ Fairview Marina. My father is the owner that Mr. Burnette seems to demonize.

Nothing was asked of him that isn't asked of and followed every other person at our marina. Our Rules and Regulations and our insurance requirements protect our customers and our property.

Our contract like all contracts is never transferable. They are agreement of terms between two parties. Despite Fairview's best efforts, this agreement was never made with Mr. Burnett. We tried long and hard to come to terms with him. His refusal to follow common etiquette, rules and regulations, and obtain and show insurance where negligible and put us and our customers at risk.

What is a marina supposed to do?
Mr. Burnette ignored:
-well posted signs
-multiple calls and messages from the office manager, and marina owner
-certified letters
-direct conversations with marina owner

On multiple occasions he told us that he would comply. Said when he would be down to provide the nessesary proof of insurance and complete a storage contract. However, he never did. What more can a marina do?
Ultimately it took contacting Mr. Burnettes father to get anywhere. We discounted the storage charges, which were paid by his Father. His Father was very apologetic for his son’s behavior.
Mr. Burnette made a complaint to the BBB. The BBB agreed with our position.
It is unfortunate that Mr. Burnette refused to comply with reasonable requirments and feels the need to discredit us.

Good to hear Jake I never thought this stroy made any sense. Your description sounds like pretty standard fare for every marina I have ever worked with. I have done business with Fairview for years and always found the place to be fair and responsive. Its also one of the best places I know of to get hard to find outboard motor parts. Keep up the good work and thanks for taking the time to set the record straight.

Ted Reshetiloff
S/V Demeter
SV Demeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:06   #10

Boat: gulfstar ketch 41 Surya

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Demeter View Post
Good to hear Jake I never thought this stroy made any sense. Your description sounds like pretty standard fare for every marina I have ever worked with. I have done business with Fairview for years and always found the place to be fair and responsive. Its also one of the best places I know of to get hard to find outboard motor parts. Keep up the good work and thanks for taking the time to set the record straight.

Ted Reshetiloff
S/V Demeter
Here is my question? Did the marina try to collect money for winter storage that had already been paid by previous owner?
S/V_Surya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:30   #11

Most all honorable marinas will honor a pre paid haul/splash as well as storage.
STXCUTTER is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asa