Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2024, 10:51   #1

Boat: Mumby 48
Counterfeit paint/Bad Yard

Last year I hauled out at Richards Bay, South Africa The Zululand Yacht club was very friendly but the yard was something else, Up front I knew it was expensive. The real problem was the “Chugoku bottom paint" they sold me. I put it in quotes because I gave no idea what it is.
When I got to Cape Town about 2 months after launch barnacles had already started to grow. It seems there is no biocide, I called the yard in Richards Bay and they only gave me the distributor contact info, but no other help. They said I was the customer and I needed to complain, they didn’t apply it, sold it cheap (ha ha) and I did other things while hauled out so he owed me nothing.
I called the distributor who gave me the Chugoku rep in Cape Town. He came out, looked at it and said “Yada yada,” and would get back to me. But he never did.
Then I noticed on the can it says made under licence by Dekro. So I got their rep to come out. He said it wasn’t their can and he would get to the bottom of this. He took a sample to be tested – never was. They would definitely do something because the paint was bad. In the end he said they wouldn’t do anything
Here’s the rudder after 11 months.
Any ideas what I can do?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	barnacles.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	426.7 KB
ID:	287167  
Epicurean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 11:03   #2

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: Counterfeit paint/Bad Yard

Don't trust the third world. I had the sane experience almost 30 years ago in Venezuela. I bought Petite Trinidad at $300/gallon, and it turned out to be house paint.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 11:57   #3

Resolve the issue:

Scrap the barnacles off.

Strip off the newly applied paint.

Repaint with high quality marine anti-fouling bottom paint.

Then get back on the water and enjoy.

Don't worry become happy.

Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 13:24   #4

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Yep, not worth getting into legal wrangles over, which would cost you more than a new bottom job. Scrape it and paint it!
Old 03-03-2024, 14:16   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epicurean View Post
Last year I hauled out at Richards Bay, South Africa The Zululand Yacht club was very friendly but the yard was something else, Up front I knew it was expensive. The real problem was the “Chugoku bottom paint" they sold me. I put it in quotes because I gave no idea what it is.
When I got to Cape Town about 2 months after launch barnacles had already started to grow. It seems there is no biocide, I called the yard in Richards Bay and they only gave me the distributor contact info, but no other help. They said I was the customer and I needed to complain, they didn’t apply it, sold it cheap (ha ha) and I did other things while hauled out so he owed me nothing.
I called the distributor who gave me the Chugoku rep in Cape Town. He came out, looked at it and said “Yada yada,” and would get back to me. But he never did.
Then I noticed on the can it says made under licence by Dekro. So I got their rep to come out. He said it wasn’t their can and he would get to the bottom of this. He took a sample to be tested – never was. They would definitely do something because the paint was bad. In the end he said they wouldn’t do anything
Here’s the rudder after 11 months.
Any ideas what I can do?
What I have learned over the years is bottom paint doesn't prevent growth very well, it just kills what grows there! Barnacles may reach near 3/8" before dying. I've had brand new Micron bottom paint I put on in Florida look very loaded on much of the bottom of the boat after 3-5 months in the Caribe. Took most of a day to scrape off probably 5 gallons of barnacles.
Interestingly, I painted the bottom in Trini with "submarine paint". Returned the boat to FLorida. Parked it for sale for nearly 1.5 years in a back canal. Just before survey for the sale I had a diver in to clean and he surfaced saying; "I can brush it, but there's nothing on it"!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 14:28   #6

Oh , it’s far from being a third world problem, a cruising couple antifouled their boat in Cairns Australia, a week later it was still wet. They scraped it all off at their own expense and repainted it again at their own expense. The local paint supplier was in the habit of buying antifoul in 200 litre drums and decanting it into 4 litre labeled cans but not stirring the paint in the big drums before decanting. In Malaysia we had a big scandal with Jotun, a local resort owner bought enough Jotun paint from the dealership to paint her entire resort and in less than a month it was fading and flaking so she called the central malaysian factory and complained. They sent a rep who took samples and had them analyzed in Kuala Lumpur and found that it was ultra cheap Thai paint base that the local dealer had been buying in bulk and tinting with Jotun colours and putting it in genuine Jotun tins…. This was a huge scandal at the time but to Jotun’s credit they settled with the resort owner without fuss and revoked the local dealership.
Chugoku was another crappy antifoul that was circulating around the marinas in Malaysia, it became popular because it was very cheap compared to international and Jotun…..it was so bad that bottles of TBT were being sold to add to it.
skipperpete is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint