Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Product or Service Reviews & Evaluations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2023, 15:52   #106

Re: Anyone with experience using "hull shield" ultrasonic antifouling system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Lets just correct that statement shall we? Whilst there are areas with low fouling, sadly in Southern UK its a real battle. Not the fouling you see just lifting off as a diver with a scraper just glides along on You Tube, but fine grass and barnacles thriving in the nutrient warm waters up to 20c in the summer.

Small pressure washers struggle and we need the clubs diesel powered hot water pressure washer to do a good job. Still take an hour. Those floor scrubbing pads used on rotary machines make a good hand held alternative.
I wish it wasn't such a problem but even with the best antifoul paint allowed its a battle.

We don't use divers.

Pete
Come to Florida and experience closer to 30C (86F) as the water temp in winter and 90+F in summer. I live there...on the water. All I know about southern California temps is from surfing there and it was way colder than Florida.

I remember those electronic devices and they go back many decades...1960s-70s for me. You will have to look hard to find one but in reality probably wont find one anywhere in Florida. If they actually worked we would have them here by the 1000s and in every marina. Technology may have made them better now but it sounds like an old idea that someone has reinvented. As far as they are supposed to work on ships...I was in the merchant marines in the Viet Nam era and those ships went yrs and yrs between haul outs and had very little growth.
Old 13-03-2023, 16:36   #107

Hi,
I installed it on my Beneteau Oceanis 55 3 years ago and found it to be very effective. To ensure it had the best chance of working I first had the hull cleaned and antifouled properly ie; sealer and 2 coats of a high quality antifoul paint.
The biggest issues I faced was finding a good location for the tranducers as the Beneteau has a hull lining through most of the hull, you have to cut holes at guessed points that may or may not be suitable.
After the first year in tropical Queensland including sailing from Sydney I had the yacht hauled at Mooloolaba and there was little to no growth but with some algae growth at the waterline.Easily cleaned with a sponge!
If you think it will save you on haul outs, forget it as it should be done at yearly intervals to check the anodes and the seal around the sterndrive.
Price is in my opinion the reason people are hesitant to buy but I negotiated at RTM and had the price reduced to $A1000 from $A1300
Old 14-03-2023, 01:58   #108

Boat: Custome Open BOC 50' cutter rig

Best advice - Go to Ultrasonic sensor nordkyndesign.com

I installed one custom build from NZ I'm happy... Before you buy one, get informed, read blog from Eric Bretscher electronic engineer on ....

Ultrasonic Antifouling System – Part 1, Development & Construction | Nordkyn Design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hezi973 View Post
So Boat Test are endorsing this product:

https://www.hullshield.net/

The promise is grand and if this works, it is totally worth it. But does it work?
Anyone with before and after that can share their experience, please do.
Thanks in advance!
Old 14-03-2023, 07:04   #109

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by volksbar View Post
We completed a 3 yr research project on Algae control and ultrasound.
This was done on lakes and industrial waters...

While ultrasound inhibits the multiplication of some algae, it has almost no effect on others.
Furthermore the composition of algae and bacteria colonies differs at different locations...
Lots of good information there, thank you!

You raised an issue we have only touched on here. We've talked about different regions having different kinds and rates of fouling. But the bigger issue is that we must have a broad spectrum of effectiveness.

If we reduce the ability of one species to grow on our hull, we may be opening it up for others to colonize. What works in one area may not work in another.

We also need something that works over different seasonal and longer-term changes. For example, some years the barnacles are much worse than other years.

Copper has proven to be a broad-spectrum deterrent for centuries now. Manual cleaning is also broadly effective. I remain skeptical of "new improved" paint formulas with less copper, just as I am of "new" ultrasound devices.

There's been some experience now with the newer paints, and I'm willing to concede that they are approaching the effectiveness of the old, high-copper-content stuff. Ultrasound, not so much. Maybe someday, and maybe in some specialized niche markets.
Old 14-03-2023, 07:48   #110

After seeing what has been posted I'm actually less impressed than before...we get an easy 2-3 yrs with premium paint here in Florida without electronics or monthly bottom service...which is probably one of the worst places for growth. A better representation would be no growth without painting the bottom every yr or 2.
Old 14-03-2023, 07:51   #111
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBill View Post
...we get an easy 2-3 yrs with premium paint here in Florida without electronics or monthly bottom service...
Where in Florida and how often do you have your hull cleaned?
Old 14-03-2023, 09:18   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Where in Florida and how often do you have your hull cleaned?
East coast central Florida. Home base is specifically on the Banana River and surrounding waters of Indian River, but I spent yrs cruising in south Florida and Bahamas. 2-3 yrs as stated is normal with the high $$$ paint...less if people have bottom service and scrub the paint away. I stopped scrubbing waterline algae decades ago. Nothing personal to you or your profession but it doesn't promote paint life...
Old 14-03-2023, 09:21   #113

Boat: EggHarbor,Sportfish,35

Wow. I'm in Biscayne Bay. Without regular MONTHLY cleaning I wouldn't be able to move after a few months of growth.
Old 14-03-2023, 09:26   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by landsend View Post
Wow. I'm in Biscayne Bay. Without regular MONTHLY cleaning I wouldn't be able to move after a few months of growth.
Typical results of removing paint from monthly scrubbing.
Old 14-03-2023, 09:29   #115
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Anyone with experience using "hull shield" ultrasonic antifouling system?

Quote:
East coast central Florida. Home base is specifically on the Banana River and surrounding waters of Indian River, but I spent yrs cruising in south Florida and Bahamas. 2-3 yrs as stated is normal with the high $$$ paint...less if people have bottom service and scrub the paint away. I stopped scrubbing waterline algae decades ago. Nothing personal to you or your profession but it doesn't promote paint life...

Well, as mentioned above, I think most of your fellow Florida boaters would find your cleaning regimen a little shocking.
Old 14-03-2023, 10:01   #116

Quote:
May you tell which is this $$$ paint?
Old 14-03-2023, 11:12   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by hezi973 View Post
May you tell which is this $$$ paint?
I've been using various versions (with the highest copper) of Trinidad since it came out in the 1970s...before that it was Tropiop and KL990. Positively NO scrubbing in between haul outs. Same results. Haul every two yrs and little or no growth on the bulk of the hull. Small alge on the waterline almost disappears when out of the water. Small barnacles are starting to happen on the running gear at that time but haul out could be extended and some skippers here go well past two. I learned early in my boating life that cheap paint wasn't cost effective.

One additional note. Some seasoned skippers here haul in the Bahamas. They have less regulations on paint and it has the max copper compared to the states. Last I heard it was made on the west coast of Florida and only available for export. I bought similar stuff in the mid 1970s down in Georgetown, Exumas...same brand, same label but higher copper content.
Old 14-03-2023, 12:49   #118
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I've been using various versions (with the highest copper) of Trinidad since it came out in the 1970s...before that it was Tropiop and KL990. Positively NO scrubbing in between haul outs. Same results. Haul every two yrs and little or no growth on the bulk of the hull. Small alge on the waterline almost disappears when out of the water. Small barnacles are starting to happen on the running gear at that time but haul out could be extended and some skippers here go well past two. I learned early in my boating life that cheap paint wasn't cost effective.

One additional note. Some seasoned skippers here haul in the Bahamas. They have less regulations on paint and it has the max copper compared to the states. Last I heard it was made on the west coast of Florida and only available for export. I bought similar stuff in the mid 1970s down in Georgetown, Exumas...same brand, same label but higher copper content.

Yeah, you’re not talking about copper, because there are no limits on how much copper can be used in anti fouling paints in the U.S. You’re talking about tributyl tin, and that biocide is illegal to sell, apply or use in this country. In fact, it’s illegal in almost every seafaring nation on the planet.
Old 14-03-2023, 17:33   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Yeah, you’re not talking about copper, because there are no limits on how much copper can be used in anti fouling paints in the U.S. You’re talking about tributyl tin, and that biocide is illegal to sell, apply or use in this country. In fact, it’s illegal in almost every seafaring nation on the planet.
Last I talked with anyone about that bottom paint was around 2005 at Boat Harbor in the Abacos. It was still in use and told it wasn't legal in the states. Made in Florida for export only. Cant rmember the specs. Not 100% sure but I think Pettit was the mfg. Cruisers heading back to the states were using it.

I think at least one of the Trinidad paints sold in Fl is prohibited in CA. Might the the Pro or 75. Max copper has always been the benchmark for me.

Next time I talk to the local marina owner I'm going to ask about the electronic gadgets. The yard mgr is 3rd gen and grandfather built the marina and haulout right after WWII. He may have seen them in action.
Old 14-03-2023, 19:50   #120

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:
Come to Florida and experience closer to 30C (86F) as the water temp in winter and 90+F in summer. I live there...on the water. All I know about southern California temps is from surfing there and it was way colder than Florida.

I remember those electronic devices and they go back many decades...1960s-70s for me. You will have to look hard to find one but in reality probably wont find one anywhere in Florida. If they actually worked we would have them here by the 1000s and in every marina. Technology may have made them better now but it sounds like an old idea that someone has reinvented. As far as they are supposed to work on ships...I was in the merchant marines in the Viet Nam era and those ships went yrs and yrs between haul outs and had very little growth.

And I’ve rebuilt many ships and never saw anything like this

Caveat that was some years back

Ships regularly travel far and fast which minimizes what you see on them vs our sailboats so there is som wiping action. Additionally they travel places where what grew elsewhere may get eaten wherever they are now. Just something to think about

And many ships didn’t have a lot of growth but I believe that was more due to the paint

I recall seeing some sub bumpers painted with something that smoked when applied

For those not aware sub bumpers are in the water all the time and don’t come out for a bottom job until they are retired many years later
Closed Thread

Tags
enc, hull