Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2020, 20:55   #31

Boat: Alberg 30
Re: Will I be a target for theft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelseyB View Post
Another thing is, if I am able to detach my chart plotter, do you think it's important that I bring it inside at night? It's obviously very expensive, probably the only expensive thing on deck that's really steal-able, but is it a hot item? I feel like they would be hard to sell. Anything else important that sometimes gets left on deck and isn't there the next morning?

Is it possible, convenient to put the chart plotter on a swivel; so it’s easily accessible from the cockpit and easily hidden from view when not in use. I just used a block of wood and a through bolt, but you can buy fancy adjustable ones if you don’t like hanging onto your money.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0452.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	226014
SVSOLITAIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2020, 00:34   #32

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

With a Steel boat, the hatch locking system can be better than a pad lock, a bar fwd. of the hatch, stopping it to slide fwd. will be more effective, and yes, remove the plotter, best to hoist the dinghy up to deck level and lock, helps keep the bottom clean, and hard to steal, unfortunately other cruiser's can be the culprit's,have drop in bars for the companion way, that lock, Bear spray, and a flare pistol legal, a simple alarm wired to spreader light's ,and a 12 siren will deter, also best to anchor in the vicinity of other yottys,it's all a pain in the a##, but , it's the times we live in, way back when, i carried a AK47, i picked up in Viet Nam, had a fire fight with some Thai pirates, in the S. china sea, i won, can't do that today, [70'S 7 80'S].
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2020, 07:50   #33

Boat: Norseman 447

I can only speak to the Pacific coast, not the Caribbean. Since 1960, I’ve been assaulted twice: once in SF and once in southern CA. I had a wristwatch snatched off my wrist in Acapulco in 1974. I had someone get in my backpack while boarding a bus in Panama in 2008.

In 1981 in Cabo San Lucas, there was a bunch of thievery from boats. Ultimately traced to another "cruiser." Most of the other times have been boats left with nobody aboard for long periods of time. I heard from the party involved of one case of somebody sneaking on a boat at night in a marina in Costa Rica.

If it isn’t "safe," the locals will usually be the first ones to tell you. Once in Mexico, the navy boarded for paperwork minutes after arrival. Spent more time telling me about the security problems than doing paperwork. The port captain then arrived and took me ashore for more paperwork. On landing, he chained his panga to a palm tree and removed the prop from the outboard.

In Ecuador, once, they had me side tie to a 110’ navy boat with an armed guard on the deck. I was still told to make sure my boat was locked. And when I went into town, they sent someone with me.

Be careful. Don’t splash money around. Dress down. No expensive jewelry. Don’t leave your belongings unwatched. Listen to the locals, not the other visitors. The locals know what’s safe and what’s not.

I’ve never had anything stolen off the deck. Ever. The three times my dinghy disappeared, all because a line came loose, broke, or the dinghy attachment pulled off, it was returned within hours. In one case, by someone dragging it alongside and asking "Did you lose a dinghy?"

Maybe, I’ve led a charmed life, but I’ve never had any trouble in Latin America.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 04:26   #34

Just a followup. Here is a link to the Caribbean Safety and Security Net Annual report, a good summary https://safetyandsecuritynet.org/car...ime-caribbean/.
seriousailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 08:14   #35

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueH2Obound View Post
Always pull the dingy out of the water at night. Chain outboard to mother ship as well.
This is the most sound advice.

Chain your dingy and chain your outboard and let the chain be easily visible. If thieves see the chains from a distance they are likely to look elsewhere.

And never identify your dingy to your boat. If your dingy is painted the same or has your vessel's ID, it tells potential thieves that your vessel is likely unattended.

Most people we meet are honest and kind-hearted. Always leave a clean wake.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 07:41   #36
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Roberts V495

Yes you are a target - every cruiser is. Even a small boat is great wealth in many locations.
- chain and lock your dinghy
- don’t worry about the chart plotter, do worry about cellphones, wallet, credit cards
- figure out how to prevent sneak thieves from looting your boat at night while you are asleep, with all hatches wide open for air. I used aluminium grids.
- know where the theft hotspots are via https://safetyandsecuritynet.org/
- listen to the locals - 90% are good people who know their country and don’t want to see you get hurt.
nofacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 07:44   #37

Having spent considerable amount of time in the Caribbean I would say you should consider everything you own as a target of theft. Sadly the days when one could feel safe and not have to be so cognizant of thievery are long gone. There are plenty of places where this is not a huge problem, but the issues is one never knows where that is? As for being a single woman, you will be quickly befriended by both good and bad people and you will not know who is who, so be ever vigilant until you are sure. This is not meant to scare you but to open your eyes to the reality of the world we live in today. Have a wonderful voyage....by the way there is a single woman doing much the same as you intend to do, who has a YouTube channel - white spot pirates is i believe her channel.
oceanluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 09:15   #38

We cruised E. Caribbean several years. The thefts seemed to be periodic, a rash for a few weeks ,then stop for a while. We think MOST on boat thefts are opportunistic, a local puttering around and looking for a chance to grab something, we have lost diving gear, portable vhf, coolers. We lost a dinghy and motor, (9" rib with 9.9 4 stroke merc.) they stripped rib and sliced open tubes and left on beach. We think Most of these thieves are semi-pros selling what they can steal. YES, there are fellow cruisers stealing, usually different stuff than locals want.
Lock up your OB motors, dinghy out of water EVEN if you are aboard. Do not leave anything useful or valuable in cockpit or on deck.
years ago, on an unnamed island, we surprised a thief attempting to steal a dinghy & motor from a vessel next to us. We chase him ashore, where he threw down a chain cutter and some tools which we kept, and he ran, we did not follow, but reported to local police. The next morning, officer arrived at our boat and asked for chain cutter and tools because the owner could not afford new ones! The Islands! love 'em or leave "em
thecapt2029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 10:39   #39

Boat: Electra/Ariel/Triton

Treat your equipment like you genuinely treasure it and you will be leagues ahead of others who secure a dinghy with a painter because of laziness or lack of concern. Keep valuables out of sight. Be cautious and don't assume you have to be friends to everyone who stops by to look over your boat. Some type of security bars on open companion ways when your not on the boat I think is necessary everywhere
Carl-T705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 13:02   #40

Get a driveway alarm . about 20 bucks. they work great I use one by my chicken coop. It will sound off when a predator passes in front of it. they are 2 part, 1 is a sensor and the other is the receiver. It is wireless. it also has 3 settings for what kind of sound you want it to make.
Knots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 14:07   #41

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Even with a modest boat you will appear wealthy to most locals, and thievery is common in the Caribbean. Some places should be completely avoided though most will be fine as long as some care is taken. The recommendations for security could fill a book; I think that would make it appear more dangerous than it is.

I do feel that it is important to be able to lock the companionway from the inside as well outside. You absolutely don't want to have a sneak thief in your cabin when you are asleep (it happens). One night I woke up when thieves tried to slide open the hatch and instead banged it against the bolt - I was so relieved to have that locked. Personally I usually don't sleep with a hatch open even if I think it is safe - I got tired of having to get up in the middle of the night to close them for a passing rain squall (not uncommon in the tropics). I do have opening portlights and I use computer case fans for cooling so it is not stifling.

Aside from locking the boat and dinghy, do practice good security ashore. Don't wear (or even bring along) expensive-looking jewelry - including diamond engagement rings (leave them at home and you will have them to enjoy when you return). Even a fake Rolex can make you a target so stick with cheap plastic watches that are waterproof (and tell time as well as more expensive watches). Don't carry valuables in a backpack or purse (in fact, don't bring purses at all - another attractant). Mostly just keep awareness at all times, and always be suspicious of sudden distractions or obstructions as they can precede a pickpocket attempt.

Everyone, but especially women, should be careful where they walk, especially after dark. And don't be tempted to sunbathe topless on isolated beaches (or even be there alone to begin with). The best approach is to explore with a group of other cruisers and not alone.

OK, I am not going to write that book. Just keep your ear to the grapevine (cruisers and locals), avoid high risk behavior, and then have a great time - you will make memories for a lifetime...

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 15:56   #42

Boat: Pacific Seacraft, Crealock 37

During 7 years of full-time cruising in the Caribbean I have learned that if you have a dinghy with outboard, regardless as to how small it is, you need to lock it or lose it. In some areas you need to lift it out of the water and lock it or lose it.
A 1\4" cable can be cut in a couple minutes so we ended up with a 3/8" stainless steel chain that we lock to the toe rail. Outboards need to be locked with a solid lock such that it can't be broken off. Recommend the Stazo lock over many of the bar lock which can be removed fairly easily.

Good luck and be safe.
Lagniappe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 18:24   #43

Boat: SOLD our M/V HOPE Grand Banks 42 now we're Hopeless

Lock your self in at night. Bare feet in a deck full of child hood "Jacks" tends to make a boarders feet hurt--as does broken shards of glass bottles stuck /glued on to a carpet in strategic locations around boarding areas. (just don't come back to your boat drunk and forget where you placed them)
Hook up a big red push button near your berth --the button connects to a house battery and triggers deck lights (bright LED fishing type) and a good loud set of horns and fire house school bell. Push that button when the boarder starts hopping and yelling about feet and the entire anchorage will be you defense force.
When ashore always wear a fake shabby beard and dirty old man's clothing, smell like bilge oil, and cuss & spit like a sailor---oh with a cigar in your mouth would help also!! :-) Ok so I exaggerate bit. Flare gun's always handy deterrent .
CaptJPMcGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 19:32   #44

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

The problem with flare guns and pepper spray is that you can't use them inside the boat, and can even be a problem outside. Some jurisdictions consider flare guns weapons so it is better to carry single-use SOLAS flares, although if you are intent on trying to kill someone who is not yet on your boat they will work. If the person is on deck the flare can either ricochet or fragment and end up on the deck with a fire that is nearly impossible to extinguish. If they are not on the boat yet then good luck staying out of jail. As for pepper spray, it is very likely to blow back on the owner and it only takes a tiny amount to cause great pain. Weapons are a problem - best not to have to confront the borders by having locked hatches, deck lights, sirens, whatever.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 00:12   #45

After two years in the Caribbean, it generally those low hanging fruit that were targeted, easy targets, unsecuredctenders, open hatches etc, saying that, I know of friends who have had their dinghy stolen 3 times, once, chained and in the security area, We were boarded and robbed whilst onboard, awake and in the stern saloon at night. We didnt hear anything. They can be gutsy, and if they really want to break in or steal something, they will, you just need to make things as difficult for them as possible. They want in and out with as little risk of being caught in general. Good luck.
neil28163 is offline   Reply With Quote