Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2011, 16:04   #1

Boat: Lexcen 40 - Leverage
Wichard Jacklines - No Buckles ?

Greetings Folks,

I just bought a set of Wichard Lyfsafe jacklines. Very nice looking, but something that I only realized when reading the instructions for installation appears to be that they're not easily removable.

There's a loop on one end, and the other end is supposed to go through a padeye, and then through a buckle which is provided. So far so good... BUT then there's this silly plastic cover that goes over the buckle and it looks like this secures the bitter end of the webbing and is neccessary to keep it from coming undone.

The problem is that the buckle cover goes on with 4 self tapping screws and I can't imagine removing the cover and buckle everytime I want to stow it away. (Even if I did, the self tappers would destroy the "thread" in the plastic cover after a few times).

So my question are ... - I've paid a lot of money for the jacklines, so would like to use them in some form... so:

1. Does anybody know is the buckle cover can be omitted safely? (Or is there an elegant solution to securing the bitter end)

2. Can I fold the webbing over itself and sew a loop into the end and fasten it to my padeye with a shackle without losing strength?

Thanks!
akio.kanemoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 16:20   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Wichard Jacklines - no buckles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akio.kanemoto View Post
Greetings Folks,

I just bought a set of Wichard Lyfsafe jacklines. Very nice looking, but something that I only realized when reading the instructions for installation appears to be that they're not easily removable.
Sew a loop in the webbing, make it a little short and then attach/tension it with a lashing (dacron or spectra cord).

Your just need to make sure of two things:

(1) make your sewing really bullet proof - heavy dacron thread, making a half a dozen strong bar tacks.
(2) make sure the lashing is at least as strong as the webbing - I would suggest rated strength of the cord x number of turns x say 75% for safety > 6000lbs
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 16:34   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
Sew a loop in the webbing, make it a little short and then attach/tension it with a lashing (dacron or spectra cord).

Your just need to make sure of two things:

(1) make your sewing really bullet proof - heavy dacron thread, making a half a dozen strong bar tacks.
(2) make sure the lashing is at least as strong as the webbing - I would suggest rated strength of the cord x number of turns x say 75% for safety > 6000lbs
Hi Evans,

Thanks for the reply. Actually I treat your site as a reference book and have tried to copy as many of your solutions as possible. Thanks for making them available!

As for the jacklines - is there any reason behind your preference for lashings instead of a shackle? (or just sits flatter and won't scratch the deck when stepped on?)
Old 18-09-2011, 16:39   #4

Boat: Tartan 30
Re: Wichard Jacklines - No Buckles ?

This is the problem with store bought jacklines... Anyway, you can use some good fishing line, braided dacron (maybe 100lbs?) for the bulletproof sewing.

Personally, I'd just bolt down a padeye and use hook/loop to connect to it. You can sew your loop to make the fit nice and tight. I mean, you gotta do work anyway...

I found this place called strapworks.com They sell all types of webbing, including heavy duty polyester webbing. They will custom sew loop ends and add any type of fittings you wish. Great prices, about 50% cheaper than buying some off-the-shelf jacklines.
Old 18-09-2011, 16:42   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
This is the problem with store bought jacklines... Anyway, you can use some good fishing line, braided dacron (maybe 100lbs?) for the bulletproof sewing.

Personally, I'd just bolt down a padeye and use hook/loop to connect to it. You can sew your loop to make the fit nice and tight. I mean, you gotta do work anyway...

I found this place called strapworks.com They sell all types of webbing, including heavy duty polyester webbing. They will custom sew loop ends and add any type of fittings you wish. Great prices, about 50% cheaper than buying some off-the-shelf jacklines.
Howdy,

Thanks for that - I really like the braided fishing line idea!

What do you mean by connect with hook/loop? (here in Australia, "hook/loop" usually means Velcro!)
Old 18-09-2011, 16:44   #6

I mean a loop in the webbing, where some type of snap-hook is attached. Then you attach the snap-hook to the pad-eye when you wish to install the jacklines.

Just make sure your padeye can fit the hook you'll be using. Maybe even use two padeyes on each side of the bow (however you're planning on using the jacklines). I like a single attachment point at the bow, so I use the already existing mooring cleat. I can easily fit two good sized snap-hooks onto it.
Old 18-09-2011, 16:45   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
I mean a loop in the webbing, where some type of snap-hook is attached. Then you attach the snap-hook to the pad-eye when you wish to install the jacklines.
Got it.
Old 18-09-2011, 16:52   #8

maybe snap hooks isn;t the right word either... You can use snap shackles, spring hooks, carabiners, whatever floats your boat. The point is to make attaching and unattaching the webbing nice and easy... You could always just tie it off with 6000lbs breaking strength, a good bowline will hold your weight just fine... so anything you use will be fine as long as it's rated heavy enough for your taste (lots of opinions on that).

I don't know how the wichard buckle works, maybe it's better... since you already own it, I'd make it work, if I were you... but if it gets too complicated, just cut it off and sew a loop around some type of attachment mechanism to use on your attachment point
Old 18-09-2011, 17:10   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by akio.kanemoto View Post
is there any reason behind your preference for lashings instead of a shackle? (or just sits flatter and won't scratch the deck when stepped on?)
A shackle is ok, but I like the lashing because = No 'loose' metal on deck and easier to get just the right tension you want. On a passage the jackline tension will change when they get wet. I replace metal shackles with spectra lashings wherever I can.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 17:32   #10

Fishing line is not good for long life in the sun, no?

My aft ends are simply tied to the padeye with hitches ... or if I'm feeling paranoid with a doubled figure-eight.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 17:54   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle
Fishing line is not good for long life in the sun, no?

My aft ends are simply tied to the padeye with hitches ... or if I'm feeling paranoid with a doubled figure-eight.
If it's a Dacron braided line (most of tha braided lines are) then it's just as sturdy as Dacron sewing line, except it's braided and has a well tested breaking strength..

Tags
Jacklines