Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2020, 17:01   #1
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Why Can't People Wear Masks Properly

Some people don't want to wear them for what ever reason. I get that and I don't want to start that argument. Many people wear them where and when they are not needed. Not all circumstances have risk, but no harm done. But if you are going to wear a mask at all, wouldn't you feel stupid doing it WRONG?

I come from a chemical and refinery environment where every employee is trained on respirator wear and where you will challenge anyone, every time a mask is worn incorrectly. Mostly, it bothers me that people are learning such terrible habits. I'm tempted to say "sir, shouldn't your nose be covered," "mam, you spit when you talk so that is the most important time to cover your mouth," or "you need to bend the nose piece to fit and adjust the straps; you have huge gaps." I stop myself.

A mask has to fit and be worn properly or it is dang near N-zero.
  • Noses out. Please, you just look really stupid. Might as well take it off and own your defiance.
  • Take off to talk to someone. If you can't be understood with it on, you need a different mask (and yes, many of the designs suck). it really helps if the mask projects forward far enough to clear your lips (duck bill designs). Like a hat or gloves, if you are going to wear them, get ones that fit and you can work with.
  • Gaps across the nose or at the jaw line. If your glasses fog or you can feel cool air come in at the edges, it is not properly adjusted.
  • They constantly adjust them. Touching the mask by anything other than the straps is wrong. The mask was probably fitted poorly or the elastic is lame.
  • Get too close. Most masts are not that efficient (or bad fit), your eyes are exposed, the other person may have poor mask fit, and there are many ways to transfer virus later.
But mostly, you really look like a dork if the mast doesn't fit. It's like walking around with your shoes untied. Or trimming sails incorrectly....

Personally, I like the duck bill style. The yellow is nice touch, but she does noeed to bend the nose piece a bit more.

They give room for you lips, there is more filter area, and they generally fit better. And straps over the head will always fit better than ear loops, which generally don't provide enough tension unless quite snug and hence, uncomfortable. But that is just my opinion
Old 16-06-2020, 17:24   #2

Boat: Morgan, West Indies 38 Ketch
Re: Why Can't People Wear Masks Properly

I totally agree. Worst place seems to be homedepot.
Old 16-06-2020, 17:25   #3

Yah

Nose and mouth covered

Half the reason to cover up is to discourage you from touching your mouth and nose with your corona contaminated hands

For the past few months people have been responsible

Unfortunately ...as time goes by I see more and more uncovered folks who no longer give a dam

Sad
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	775277E8-D10C-4342-84E2-E15F10B20147.jpeg
Views:	167
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	217542  
Old 16-06-2020, 17:41   #4

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

I’ve got a theory that they are wearing a mask because they were told it was a good idea. They don’t know why they’re wearing it, so don’t understand/realize what it means to have some orifi uncovered. And with your nose in the same home as your pie hole you can tell how bad your own breath is.
Old 16-06-2020, 17:46   #5

That can’t be possible

For months they have been exposed to countless health authorities informing the public about why and how to wear a mask ,how to wash your hands ..how to social distance
Old 16-06-2020, 18:00   #6

Boat: Morgan, West Indies 38 Ketch
Why Can't People Wear Masks Properly

I don’t want to get political, but,... In the US our fearless leader doesn’t even wear one. Taking “Leading by Example” to a whole other level.
Old 16-06-2020, 18:02   #7

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

We were tested annually at work by the safety department. We put on our respirators or dust masks and they sprayed us with a perfume atomizer filled with saccharine and water. If you tasted sweet, the fit was poor. I only remember two causes for failures. The first was having not shaved in the last 24 hours. The second was a poor fit over the nose with half face units. If your glasses fogged when you exhaled, you were getting ready to fail.
Old 16-06-2020, 18:06   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by akopac View Post
I don’t want to get political, but,... In the US our fearless leader doesn’t even wear one. Taking “Leading by Example” to a whole other level.
That is a political statement

I don’t take health advice from politicians ... only from health professionals
Old 16-06-2020, 18:09   #9
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
I’ve got a theory that they are wearing a mask because they were told it was a good idea. They don’t know why they’re wearing it, so don’t understand/realize what it means to have some orifi uncovered. And with your nose in the same home as your pie hole you can tell how bad your own breath is.

I had to snort when I saw a breath mint ad talking about "mask breath."
Old 16-06-2020, 18:18   #10

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by akopac View Post
You just did get political but since you brought it up, masks don’t protect the wearer and in this case, he is probably the most tested person in the world so no need for him to wear one.
More importantly, surgical masks are intended for sterile environments such as the OR and are only minimally effective at limiting virus transmission so it’s essentially nothing more than a bandaid.
Old 16-06-2020, 18:19   #11

I think it’s all ********. The virus just needs to run its course. I wear a mask because that is what is required by the local authorities, but frankly I don’t believe it actually does much. I think the the virus needs to run it’s course, like any other virus, and then we’ll be done with it. Disrupting the world’s economy seems idiotic to me, it’s not freakin’ Ebola, it’s a virulent flu. But I’m just an ignorant cruiser, so what do I know! I’m in México, and I’m very happy that the authorities are starting to put the economy ahead of virus shutdowns that aren’t proven to really do anything, except prolong the inevitable. I say open it up and let what’s going to happen, happen, and get it over with. I’m over 60 and willing to take that risk. Nobody gets out of this world alive anyway. I
Old 16-06-2020, 18:26   #12

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

I am a surgeon so wear a mask frequently. I had to correct one of the techs in my room today about proper mask wear. He knows the right way but just wasn't doing it.
I had to remind him of the standard. I hope it won't be repeated or he will be invited to find someone else to fulfill his duties. In the real world, no one has authority. Some poor security guard got shot to death over it by one of our well regulated militia members.

There are dozens of hospital mask styles. The standard ones have a small aluminum strip over the nose that holds the shape.
My preferred is the Precept model which has a tacky strip on the nose band so it sticks to your skin and seals, preventing glasses fogging.
The N95's are the gold standard. They are supposed to be fit to you. I was issued one at the peak, but no one ever fitted it to me. They are more oppressive than the regular style. If you are around someone with the virus, this is what you need to be safe.
Most homemade cloth ones are much less effective. Cloth is porous and not nearly as good a filter. Catches drops but not the fine aerosol that stays suspended in air for long durations. Nose out, why bother?
I also do not understand wearing a mask while driving in the car alone or outside engaged in solo activity.

And don't get me started on proper use of gloves. It is clear to me that none of these people have ever been taken to task by a battle weary scrub tech for inappropriate touching, and I don't mean #MeToo. It is memorable.
Old 16-06-2020, 18:27   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by slug View Post
That is a political statement

I don’t take health advice from politicians ... only from health professionals
I am a health professional. My advice- Don't drink bleach
Old 16-06-2020, 18:29   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
You just did get political but since you brought it up, masks don’t protect the wearer and in this case, he is probably the most tested person in the world so no need for him to wear one.
More importantly, surgical masks are intended for sterile environments such as the OR and are only minimally effective at limiting virus transmission so it’s essentially nothing more than a bandaid.
You are factually wrong about mask use.

And being tested frequently only tells if you have caught it yet. Testing does not alter the disease course in the person tested. You need to read a bit about epidemiology. Now if they test the people he is in contact with, that would reduce his risk of contracting it, despite his refusal to take the most basic personal precautions.
Old 16-06-2020, 18:35   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Training Wheels View Post
I think it’s all ********. The virus just needs to run its course. I wear a mask because that is what is required by the local authorities, but frankly I don’t believe it actually does much. I think the the virus needs to run it’s course, like any other virus, and then we’ll be done with it. Disrupting the world’s economy seems idiotic to me, it’s not freakin’ Ebola, it’s a virulent flu. But I’m just an ignorant cruiser, so what do I know! I’m in México, and I’m very happy that the authorities are starting to put the economy ahead of virus shutdowns that aren’t proven to really do anything, except prolong the inevitable. I say open it up and let what’s going to happen, happen, and get it over with. I’m over 60 and willing to take that risk. Nobody gets out of this world alive anyway. I
Remind me how well this approach worked for the Native Americans or Pacific Islanders when the novel diseases were introduced by Europeans. They gained herd immunity, which works OK but only for the survivors.
Closed Thread

Tags
rope