Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2020, 07:28   #31

Boat: Hanse 430e
Re: Why Can't People Wear Masks Properly

This is just my opinion. I spent 30 years in the nuke industry wearing all kinds of ppe and running away from all kinds of bad chemicals and radioisotopes. I think you should all wear a mask because it does reduce the transmission of exhaled moisture and keeps you from touching your face.

I also realize that we have to tell the general populace to wear a mask for the same reasons; Shampoo bottles have instructions, and packaged peanuts are labeled "Made with Peanuts"

Most people have no idea on how to properly wear a mask or how to maintain it. so we have to save them from themselves.
Old 17-06-2020, 07:45   #32
cruiser

Boat: Current Bristol 32, past Columbia 26, Tahiti Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Having taken in all the arguments over the past couple of months, I've come around to the utility of mask use by the public in some situations. The usage that makes the most sense to me is that followed by many European countries:
  • the main point of the mask is to prevent viral spread from those infected, not to protect the uninfected wearer
  • cloth or basic surgical masks are adequate for this; specialized masks are still in short supply and needed most by front-line medical workers (and the general public isn't often using them correctly anyways, as you note)
  • mask wear is for when people are in close contact or in enclosed shared spaces: public transit, stores etc. Masks are about useless outdoors, as long as people remain at least 2m apart.
So, personally, I'm not that bugged if someone's no wearing the mask perfectly, as long as it catches that sneeze or cough of a possible spreader. I get more angry to see N95's on the general public, while there are still shortages of PPE for medical workers.

About mask use in general; I'm regarding it as the right thing to do when in stores:
  • 70% - protecting others in the off chance that I'm a carrier
  • 30% - providing a good example, showing some consideration for other shoppers and the store staff and other "essential" workers who have to wear that stuff for their whole shift. If they can do that, the least I can do is to flip on my mask as I enter the store.
If outbreaks continue to be a risk, a mask protocol will probably be with us for a while. It's not horrible, if it permits more social and economic activity.

Great post in every regard - and I speak as a retired nurse - worth reposting. Our federal government needs to remove their collective heads from their collective behinds and mandate all people - all masks - all social distances when outside or especially in any store, restaurant, etc.
Old 17-06-2020, 08:02   #33

Boat: a sailing boat

People are careless becauase the mask protects others, not them.

Those who believe otherwise, wear it correctly.

FREAKING SELFISHNESS

'We are only human.'

You can extend this and observe the same attitude in: child owners, car owners, smartphone owners, boat owners, ad infinity.

b.
Old 17-06-2020, 09:17   #34

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
The US has had 355 deaths per million population. Japan has had 7 deaths per million.

The Japanese tested less than the US. They have high population density so social distancing is difficult. The only apparent reason for this huge difference in deaths is that everyone wore masks.

Not wearing a mask in crowded spaces says to me that you don’t give a crap about anyone else.
Maybe, but maybe not. They are a lot less obese than many countries including the U.S, Great Britain, etc. An acquaintance of mine owns a funeral director. He noted that every death from the Wuhan virus was an obese person. We also know that some 99% of the deaths have medical conditions other than the Wuhan virus, and those issues were more often than not the cause of death; the Wuhan virus was just the straw that broke the camel's back. Obesity in particular is quite often an indication that there are other problems.

Most likely there are a number of factors that affected this discrepancy.

Remember, you are responsible for your own protection, just like the flu or any other disease. IF you have it, you need to be responsible and stay home or wear a mask. IF you don't have it and are not in a risk group, then it is your choice.
Old 17-06-2020, 09:22   #35

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
This is the plainest explanation of the purpose of simple face coverings. Please share!

However based on the odds of death IF you even catch the bug, I mean how do you justify taking your friends and family cruising with you? I’d say you are waaaay more likely to get yourself and them killed by screwing up on the boat than they are to catch AND die from this virus?

It’s like the guy I saw riding a motorcycle solo without a helmet but with a mask on, major case of wtf?
Old 17-06-2020, 09:31   #36

Boat: Cal-40

Coved-19........ rumors are spreading faster then the virus.
Old 17-06-2020, 09:34   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernMac View Post
I never really was onboard with all this, never wore a mask because I find it silly.
In this instance, you are either part of the solution or part of the problem. Pretty clear what camp you are in!
Old 17-06-2020, 09:34   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernMac View Post
However based on the odds of death IF you even catch the bug, I mean how do you justify taking your friends and family cruising with you? I’d say you are waaaay more likely to get yourself and them killed by screwing up on the boat than they are to catch AND die from this virus?

It’s like the guy I saw riding a motorcycle solo without a helmet but with a mask on, major case of wtf?
Nope. There were less than 1000 boating deaths in the US last year. It's just June, and we're at 110,000 covid19 deaths. Pretty clear math.
Old 17-06-2020, 09:35   #39

Boat: KP 46

Here ya go, all worn properly..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cm.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	217569  
Old 17-06-2020, 09:38   #40

Boat: Gulfstar, Hirsch, 45'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Training Wheels View Post
I think it’s all ********. The virus just needs to run its course. I wear a mask because that is what is required by the local authorities, but frankly I don’t believe it actually does much. I think the the virus needs to run it’s course, like any other virus, and then we’ll be done with it. Disrupting the world’s economy seems idiotic to me, it’s not freakin’ Ebola, it’s a virulent flu. But I’m just an ignorant cruiser, so what do I know! I’m in México, and I’m very happy that the authorities are starting to put the economy ahead of virus shutdowns that aren’t proven to really do anything, except prolong the inevitable. I say open it up and let what’s going to happen, happen, and get it over with. I’m over 60 and willing to take that risk. Nobody gets out of this world alive anyway. I
I agree, its a harsh virus, that decimates the weak or very old. That's mother nature folks. I don't wear a mask unless its a requirement for where I'm going (American airlines, work cells, etc..) time to get the train back on the tracks and get moving full steam ahead. besides, we have civil unrest to quell next....
Old 17-06-2020, 09:39   #41

You're correct,if you're going to wear a mask,
Wear the mask.
I personally still don't believe in this Corona virus,
In 2016, 58,000 Americans died from the FLU,
Without the addition of heart attacks ,cancers
And Homicides,,Come November,this whole
Covid thing will be over.
So yes,wear YOUR mask correctly,I choose
NOT to wear one..
Old 17-06-2020, 09:42   #42

Boat: Gulfstar, Hirsch, 45'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Training Wheels View Post
I think it’s all ********. The virus just needs to run its course. I wear a mask because that is what is required by the local authorities, but frankly I don’t believe it actually does much. I think the the virus needs to run it’s course, like any other virus, and then we’ll be done with it. Disrupting the world’s economy seems idiotic to me, it’s not freakin’ Ebola, it’s a virulent flu. But I’m just an ignorant cruiser, so what do I know! I’m in México, and I’m very happy that the authorities are starting to put the economy ahead of virus shutdowns that aren’t proven to really do anything, except prolong the inevitable. I say open it up and let what’s going to happen, happen, and get it over with. I’m over 60 and willing to take that risk. Nobody gets out of this world alive anyway. I
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
The US has had 355 deaths per million population. Japan has had 7 deaths per million.

The Japanese tested less than the US. They have high population density so social distancing is difficult. The only apparent reason for this huge difference in deaths is that everyone wore masks. Largely because people were culturally used to wearing masks.

Most masks don’t protect the wearer but even a cheap surgical mask will reduce the virus you transmit to others when coughing, speaking or just breathing to almost undetectable levels.

Not wearing a mask in crowded spaces says to me that you don’t give a crap about anyone else.

Like someone who runs through a mooring field dragging a big wake.
Take a look at most Japanese people and their physical nature. They seem in MUCH better shape than the average American. we are in trouble, and
need something to get through people heads that supersizing your meal is not a great approach to a healthy lifestyle.
Old 17-06-2020, 09:43   #43

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightsky View Post
In this instance, you are either part of the solution or part of the problem. Pretty clear what camp you are in!
I think the problem is the hysteria.

Again, look at the numbers since this thing started in January, is it worse than the yearly cold, yes, but I don’t get how anyone, aside from the prior bubble boys of the world, are getting this hysterical over it, like the guy on the motorcycle without a helmet but with his N95 on, some folks just don’t risk assessment very well IMHO

I’d wager when kids read about this in school in a decade or two, it’ll go down as one of the great blunders.
Be a great lesson for a psychology or perhaps even anthropology class.

Good read

https://www.verywellmind.com/doomsday-phobias-2671856

“It can be difficult to differentiate a legitimate doomsday phobia from the effects of mass hysteria. "Groupthink” is a documented phenomenon that occurs when members of a group begin to conform to the majority opinion without critically evaluating information for themselves. In a panic situation, this can lead to an evolving hysteria.“
Old 17-06-2020, 09:46   #44

Boat: a sailing boat

Our place has only some 100 active shooters now. We are about 2 million population.

I wear the mask:

- in the toilets (it is a public marina compound, about 1000 users),
- in shops, on the bus, (and other public media).

I wear it round my neck when not in use.

It is not so much that I do not get sick, I do it because there are very many older people here and I want them to feels safe as much as to be safe.

I do not care if others do not. I am not driven by mass histerias and I am not driven by mass indifference. I have my own brain and I am against-taxes & pro-civic.

Do not wait for the government to tell you what to do or not do. Act on your own. It does not hurt.

You afraid of looking silly?

Well, talk it over with your shrink.

Silly is the new normal ;-)

b.
Old 17-06-2020, 09:48   #45

Boat: Seaward 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
This is the plainest explanation of the purpose of simple face coverings. Please share!

and somehow my wife can still smell my farts passing through my underwear and pants. I guess I need n95 underwear.
Closed Thread

Tags
rope