Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2020, 15:49   #76
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Why Can't People Wear Masks Properly

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernMac View Post
Meh, unless you are looking at cruisers who are already at their expiration date or on deaths door.

If you’re not super old or already 3/4 dead, the chance of this killing you isn’t a factor, life will suck for a few weeks, but you’ll be aiight, persmuing you even get sick or get it and feel sick, which is a big if.

If I lived my life susceptible to that type of fear, well I’d be living in a sealed underground bunker eating cleansed solent lol

If you’re scared stay home, no one is trying to force you out, well as long as the “protestors” don’t arson your home.

thus is freedom, you’re free to live life, or live in fear.

Choose your own adventure

This isn't about you. Wearing a mask isn't about you. It is about risk to others (you can carry without knowing it) and about respecting others.

As for the "Free Country" folks, there is no such thing and you learned this in elementary school. We live in a country guided by the Constitution and governed by laws. If there is a rule, like a speed limit, you obey it not only because it might just make sense, but because you are a citizen and as such you have agreed to. If you don't like it, complain, but until it is changed, you follow the rules. Unless you think of this as civil disobedience, which in this case is, well, childish.
Old 17-06-2020, 15:57   #77

Quote:
Meh, unless you are looking at cruisers who are already at their expiration date or on deaths door.

If you’re not super old or already 3/4 dead, the chance of this killing you isn’t a factor, life will suck for a few weeks, but you’ll be aiight, persmuing you even get sick or get it and feel sick, which is a big if.

If I lived my life susceptible to that type of fear, well I’d be living in a sealed underground bunker eating cleansed solent lol

If you’re scared stay home, no one is trying to force you out, well as long as the “protestors” don’t arson your home.

thus is freedom, you’re free to live life, or live in fear.

Choose your own adventure
As someone else previously coined "irredemabley stupid" comes to mind. If you want to take risks, fine, but you have no right to put others you come in to contact with at risk. You could be one of those lucky ones that are infected, but exhibit no symptoms, merrily shedding the virus. This is not fear on my part, but a real possibility, as many show no symptoms at all but are covid positive. This is the last I have to say on this. You can't argue with ignorance.
Old 17-06-2020, 16:14   #78
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Me too

I'm guessing that ensures social distance.
Old 17-06-2020, 16:17   #79

Percentage chance of being infected/Infecting without wearing a mask correctly
%17.8

Percentage chance of being infected/Infecting while wearing a mask correctly
%3.1

My mother,using a blade,killed Nazis in southern France during WWll
As a USN Commander,my father designed the Long Beach CA breakwater structure during WWll and
went on to develop Command Module/Lunar Module docking & guidance systems for Grumman

Yeah,I can wear a mask
Attached Images

Old 17-06-2020, 16:21   #80

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
So has stupidity and lack of compassion.

And its not fear, its respect.
Respect for a killer virus
Respect for those that it will affect if appropriate measures are ignored.

Interesting but not surprising to see you lack of ability to answer the question.
Did you wear a mask two years ago when we have a very bad flu season and it almost broke our health system?

Do you wear a mask every time you are ill regardless of what the illness is?

The mortality rate for this Wuhan virus is rather low and not much worse than the flu.

Remember, it is your responsibility to protect yourself. There are way too many illnesses and problems to protect everyone from others. We would have no cities, no jobs, no social interaction if we tried to prevent all deaths. It just isn't practical.
Old 17-06-2020, 16:26   #81

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Garfield View Post
Percentage chance of being infected/Infecting without wearing a mask correctly
%17.8

Percentage chance of being infected/Infecting while wearing a mask correctly
%3.1

Yeah,I can wear a mask
True, but we must remember that the overwhelming majority of people who are exposed have zero symptoms and of those who have symptoms, the majority are mild.

Those who have preexisting conditions such as obesity, COPD, weakened immune systems are the ones who need to be protected. Those who are at risk or who are symptomatic should wear masks or even better, stay home.
Old 17-06-2020, 16:33   #82

Sadly ArmyDaveNY, what you've posted in reply to me is empirically incorrect
in many respects. That "vast majority" that get infected but get zero symptoms are what's labeled as asymptomatics' they're carriers & shedding covid-19 with every breath-thus reason to wear a mask correctly.The rest of what you posted
is entirely nonsense-wear a mask.
I could easily dig up the current public data of age group death percentages though I am certain you may do this to educate yourself.
Many deaths have occurred,somewhere in neighborhood of %50,passed away without any co-morbidities.
Additionally,approximately %50 of deaths from under the age of 50yo.

Not "wuhan virus"

Covid-19 is orders of magnitude more lethal than "the flu"

Last years "flu" mortality rate was %0.1
Covid-19 mortality rate is between %3.0 - %5.4

My mom- "darling,they're not ignorant,they're just uneducated or worse, unwilling to educate themselves"
Attached Images

Old 17-06-2020, 16:47   #83

Boat: Outremer 50S

Quote:
This is bad science. Last year's flu mortality is based on ~100 years of statistics about how many people get the flu without seeking medical attention and includes those people in the total against which mortality is calculated.

The mortality rates for Covid-19, on the other hand, are being calculated based on confirmed, tested cases and then even extended to include unexplained increases in death rates. This doesn't take into account any asymptomatic cases or mild cases where no medical treatment or testing was sought.

I have little doubt (myself) that in the end Covid-19 will be more deadly than influenza, but at this time there simply isn't any solid data to say by how much (or indeed that it is). This is one where science demands that we wait until the data is collected.
Old 17-06-2020, 16:50   #84

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDaveNY View Post

True, but we must remember that the overwhelming majority of people who are exposed have zero symptoms (...)

ROLF

So, how could we know they were in fact exposed? 99% of whole nations have had no symptoms, they all were exposed?

Sure, everybody has been exposed. Even if only remotely, eh?

How many have been 'exposed' and how many are symptom-less carriers is one of the things we actually do NOT know.

We know:
- the dead numbers (but in some countries, we are not sure if of Covid),
- tested / confirmed numbers,
- cured cases / out of the confirmed cases.

We know it is viral, just not sure how very. We know old people if infected stand 30% chance of expiry, if they are well of in a well off country.

We know kids get it, we also know kids are highly likely to not show symptoms. We know kids are very lively, touch everything and cannot be persuaded. If you are in a typical Spanish, Italian, etc. family - keep your kids and your old far apart.

It is not even sure if all exposed people develop resistance, and if so, how long this resistance gonna last.

Many things unknown, few known, step lightly and behave as if you wanted to survive. At least till more things are known.

Act so that you protect others - cover your mouth when you sneeze (Spain, Italy). Do not spit in public places (China, Iran). e t c. In a word - THINK.

I would bet a lot of money on our understanding of the bloody virus much better come spring 2021, after the second wave.

Cheers,
b.
Old 17-06-2020, 17:02   #85

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

This has been a good read. There seems to be a lack of giving a dam about anyone else by some people.
When this began I was teaching in a High School, watching kids all over each other. Even they got the message, don't bring COVID19 home to your parents or grandparents.
When I wear a mask I wear it right and its a good one. Now if I was really worried I would put on an SCBA and walk around with a tank of air on my back. Which is something I seriously thought about while in a shop full of teenagers.

As an X-medic, I have treated plenty of people with severe shortness of breath I have no desire to be one of them or wish it on anyone.
Old 17-06-2020, 17:05   #86

Boat: Pearson 303

Quote:
Originally Posted by slug View Post
That is a political statement

I don’t take health advice from politicians ... only from health professionals

Which Health professionals? Where? What science did they use? 6 feet, 3 feet, 2 feet? What about the ones that say masks don't help or lockdowns were a monumental blunder? I trust health officials just as much as I trust politicians. Never
Old 17-06-2020, 17:09   #87

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDaveNY View Post
Did you wear a mask two years ago when we have a very bad flu season and it almost broke our health system?
Nope but I am Australian and we have an excellent and free health system.
Whilst not perfect we don't have issues here like the US does.
I also live on a boat, self isolated away from the dirt people for 4 years.

Quote:
Do you wear a mask every time you are ill regardless of what the illness is?.
I would if smarter people than you and me told me to, so as to reduce spread and potentially save lives.

Quote:
The mortality rate for this Wuhan virus is rather low and not much worse than the flu.
Rubbish

Quote:
Remember, it is your responsibility to protect yourself. There are way too many illnesses and problems to protect everyone from others. We would have no cities, no jobs, no social interaction if we tried to prevent all deaths. It just isn't practical
Amazing how Vietnam with a population of 100 million and bordering China has managed to have 350 cases, zero deaths and are now starting to ramp up again.
People stopped work , did what they were told and wore masks.
If only america was smart enough to do the same you may have had 1000 cases and 1 death
Old 17-06-2020, 17:13   #88

Dsanduril

Do the math based upon total published of infected versus deaths

Current published USA covid-19 deaths->118500 is %5.6428571428571% of 2,100,00 infected.

The rest you posted is entirely Gobbledegook out of your head

Listen dude,I'd welcome any credible source that substantiates your assertion-really I would.

Wear a mask,the life you save could be your fathers'
Attached Images

Old 17-06-2020, 17:13   #89

Quote:

(...)

Covid-19 is orders of magnitude more lethal than "the flu"

(...)

Germany 5%
US 12%
Italy 16%

Interestingly, Italy has the longest record in the whole region. Thus even when this number gets lowered (it does, over time) and corrected (adjusted for errors too) then I do not think Italy will have a figure much less than 8%, say 5% at best (my guess).

So, with two effective governments (China and Germany) and two disciplined nations (Ordnung must sein!) we see 5%.

We spent 50 days locked up in our boat under the strictest quarantine measures. I do not want this again. I am wearing that mask. Least I can do.

b.
Old 17-06-2020, 17:26   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCoastJoe View Post

This has been a good read. There seems to be a lack of giving a dam about anyone else by some people.

(...)

Only people brought up in peace and prosperity find catastrophic movies unlikely. People who lived thru catastrophes find such movies highly realistic.

Lack of giving a damn is granted. The human condition is granted.

Or did you believe in people to be basically a nice, benevolent and smart race?

b.
Closed Thread

Tags
rope