Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2015, 00:01   #1

Boat: Custom Catamaran
When to report a missing boat...?

Hey guys,

I've done a search for this and come up with nothing, but feel free to send me the thread if this has already been discussed.

We have a good friend who was single handing from Falmouth to La Coruna, departing 1st Nov and should have arrived three days ago. The weather hasn't been too bad in Biscay but there was some lumpy stuff moving through the area at the back end of last week. He advised the trip would take approx. 5 days (about 500 miles) and he'd contact us as soon as he arrived, so we knew he was in ok.

He's now 3 days overdue on a 5 day passage.... at what point should we be notifying someone, and who? He doesn't have an SSB or Satphone aboard so we can't contact him direct, and I'd hate to cause a panic if he's just simply taking his time through the lumpier stuff.

Thoughts?

n
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 00:24   #2

Re: When to report a missing boat...?

I would definitely contact the local authorities. I think 24 is suitable for a five day passage. Hope they are alright!
Strider34c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 04:05   #3

Thanks - that's what I was thinking. I did email Marina Coruna on Sat to see if he'd checked in, but other than getting in contact with other marinas, who else should I contact? MRCC? Who else?

n
Old 09-11-2015, 04:14   #4

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausnp84 View Post
Thanks - that's what I was thinking. I did email Marina Coruna on Sat to see if he'd checked in, but other than getting in contact with other marinas, who else should I contact? MRCC? Who else?

n
I certainly do not think that there is any extreme reason to be too concerned at this point. However, 3 days overdue on this passage is just beginning to be a concern. The global MRCC for all UK flagged vessel is Falmouth. There is no harm calling them to discuss your concerns. The decision will then be theirs, and if they so decide they will likely put out a "vessel overdue" notice on Navtex and perhaps MRCC France bulletins, with advice to shipping to "keep a sharp lookout".

MRCC Falmouth - Search and Rescue Contacts
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 04:31   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
I certainly do not think that there is any extreme reason to be too concerned at this point. However, 3 days overdue on this passage is just beginning to be a concern. The global MRCC for all UK flagged vessel is Falmouth. There is no harm calling them to discuss your concerns. The decision will then be theirs, and if they so decide they will likely put out a "vessel overdue" notice on Navtex and perhaps MRCC France bulletins, with advice to shipping to "keep a sharp lookout".

MRCC Falmouth - Search and Rescue Contacts
Ta - will get hold of them now.

n
Old 09-11-2015, 10:11   #6

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausnp84 View Post
Hey guys,

I've done a search for this and come up with nothing, but feel free to send me the thread if this has already been discussed.

We have a good friend who was single handing from Falmouth to La Coruna, departing 1st Nov and should have arrived three days ago. The weather hasn't been too bad in Biscay but there was some lumpy stuff moving through the area at the back end of last week. He advised the trip would take approx. 5 days (about 500 miles) and he'd contact us as soon as he arrived, so we knew he was in ok.

He's now 3 days overdue on a 5 day passage.... at what point should we be notifying someone, and who? He doesn't have an SSB or Satphone aboard so we can't contact him direct, and I'd hate to cause a panic if he's just simply taking his time through the lumpier stuff.

Thoughts?

n
Call any MRCC in the area.
Better to cause panic than the alternative.
meirriba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:20   #7

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meirriba View Post
Call any MRCC in the area.
Better to cause panic than the alternative.
A joke? No. It is not. There are limited resources for these services and if they are off on a wild goose chase someone else might suffer. Sure report it to the relevant and correct MRCC body, but "cause a panic"? I do hope that was not serious.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:37   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
A joke? No. It is not. There are limited resources for these services and if they are off on a wild goose chase someone else might suffer. Sure report it to the relevant and correct MRCC body, but "cause a panic"? I do hope that was not serious.
Its a saying...........
He was just saying better to be safe than sorry.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:39   #9

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
What joke?
I took the OP seriously. All I meant is that if the search will turn to be unnecessary post fact it is better than wait too long and find out that the sailor could have been saved by an earlier alarm.
meirriba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:39   #10

MRCC will handle it, it will begin as a radio call to other boaters and will provide a reminder to check in if that is all it is, fingers crossed. If things need to be escalated they will make the call. Three days is a long time, we are at four now. That is nearly double the expected passage. If this is an emergency situation, three days without water is a very real emergency. If that were me out there I would have wanted help scrambled far earlier.
Strider34c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:46   #11

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Singlehanders tend to be an independent lot. If it had become too lumpy for him to make progress, he could have hove to for the period of the lumpiness--which at least where i have sailed--could last for 3 days. So, he may be about in, now, after chosing to rest himself and reduce stresses on the vessel.

I think Muckle Flugga's advice to inform Falmouth and then let them has great merit.

Try not to worry too much, there are so many reasons he might be delayed, plus this: if you're singlehanding, you want to approach your landfall well rested, and that could mean spending much of a sleep period hove to, as well. Which equals more delay.

I hope he gets in soon, safe and sound.

Ann
Old 09-11-2015, 11:08   #12
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Some years ago I was in a similar position. I couldn't get time off, but a good friend was sailing with someone on a "bring it home" trip from the carib to Beaufort. Offhand they figured on a ten day trip, fourteen at the outside, or something like that, and agreed that we should report them overdue after that.

So on day 13, my friend's wife calls, asking if it is time to worry yet. I wound up calling the local USCG station and politely asking, if a boat wasn't really overdue yet, but was getting awfully close to it, what could I do just in case?

The local USCG station asked for a list of information (vessel type, hull color, deck color, sail color, number of souls onboard, etc.) and said they'd need all that if they started a search. Nowadays, any "standard" float plan outline will ask you for all of that. Hull color? Uh, white? Maybe? Who thought to ask?

So first, gather any information you may have, including a good photo.

Then the local USCG station transferred my phone call to District HQ, who asked a few more questions and transferred me to District HQ for the islands, all quite seamlessly, and they in turn said they'd put out a watch for the vessel, inquiring first to make sure it had actually LEFT a marina (didn't know which one, either), and if they found any news of it, they'd go further. But they would start formal SAR at any time, if the vessel was being reported overdue.

In the meantime, they'd just be asking and watching, not burning SAR assets.

Fortunately the friend called up late the next day, as Day 14 was expiring. Alternator had failed repeatedly so they no longer had power for anything, winds were totally wrong, weather had gone truly foul, and they'd made landfall in Jacksonville, Florida!

Seriously and thoroughly "inconvenienced" but never in outright danger. Sometimes that is just how it goes.

If you are in doubt, call your local authorities, give them the objective information you have, and let them, as professionals, make the choice of whether to start a SAR effort or wait a while longer, unless you have specific reasons to argue their decision.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 11:53   #13

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
If you are in doubt, call your local authorities, give them the objective information you have, and let them, as professionals, make the choice of whether to start a SAR effort or wait a while longer, unless you have specific reasons to argue their decision.
hellosailor is offline Report Post
There's the crux of the issue -- let the professionals make the decisions, for they have the experience to do so, balancing the costs (fiscal and personnel) against the risk. Further, they have the advantage of emotional distance. It's not their friend, and they can make objective decisions regarding SAR.

I join in hoping that he is OK.

Jim
Old 09-11-2015, 12:14   #14

Boat: a sailing boat

Call up Salvamento Maritimo La Coruna, ask.

Look up AIS at Marine Traffic, if they carry an AIS.

Do not worry but do keep on looking.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 12:53   #15
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Any number of reasons he could be overdue.. head winds.. light winds.. hove to.. blown out sail..
With the estimate of 5 days I'm guessing its a 27-35ftr.
Its taken me weeks to cross the Biscay this time of year so don't panic..
PS; Whats on the screen back home is often not whats out there..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote