Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2011, 18:00   #1

Types of Insurance to Get ?

We are Australian will be spending a month or so in Florida getting our yacht ready to then sail back to Aus. We need to take out travel/medical insurance for the period we are in Florida and also for the 4 month trip back. I was hoping to be able to organise just one lot of insurance that would cover the whole 5-6 month period. We reckon we need at least medical, hospital and emergency repatriation coverage while in Florida plus personal liability coverage (for any accidents in relation to people being on or near the boat while it is in the yard). Then while sailing back we reckon we need at least medical, hospital and emergency repatriation coverage for both coastal and open water sailing. I can't find one policy that suits our needs for both parts of our trip. Should I do it as two separate policies with two different companies? Has anyone else had a similar experience to be able to offer advice?
catspaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 12:08   #2

Re: Types of Insurance to Get ?

You'll probably need multiple policies, although you should be able to get them done through a single broker. The policies will (probably) be placed through different carriers.

I don't know if you calculated this in, and it depends on where you're going, but here on the west coast most marinas want you to have liability insurance and name the marina as additional insured. You might want to check on that for any marinas you're planning on staying in, if any.

More broadly though, a good maritime insurance agent should be able to point you in the right direction. I know a guy in California who's great, but insurance is licensed state by state here in the USA.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 02:16   #3

Re: Types of Insurance to Get ?

thanks for your suggestion. We have organised our medical cover for now and will do the marina insurance when we get there.
catspaws is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance