Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2016, 06:04   #61
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Top 50 Murder Cities - Includes Jamaica & Brazil

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I think the lists are person on person...
State sponsored is not included..
compared to Gaza or almost anywhere in Syria that list sounds like a tourist paradise
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 06:11   #62
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

canadians are too cold to shoot each other--they need the warmth.
mexico is in cartel readjustment, due to zeta winning in northern mexico and expanding to mazatlan and south...
oakland not on list-- why not??
venezuela is in a monster problem with the jerk in office and bad judgement.. nation is broke due to devaluation of dough to keep citizens from travelling and leaving the nation. the islands nearby are on danger of pirates listings, due to this. the locals in isla sta margarita are forced to go to caracas to buy foodstuffs, and find danger all the way. not cool. no food on shelves of caracas stores, and govt is killing off college students as fast as they can enroll. wtf.
i would refrain from sailing bonaire grenada and other islands in the reach of vene. they(govt) were confiscating yachts not long ago. great place for haulout, ye think??!!!
brazil---never had urge to visit.
now, st louis--i lived there--it was a mess. guess it got worse.
so much of the crap read in news media is just that--unsubstantiated crap to get the citizens up in arms and not travel.
travel defies control. nations wish to control the population. of course this is gonna be sensationalized.
and of course there are folks who believe in all the govt controls as being in their own best interest. look at florida and cali anchoring laws.
all for control of population. THOU SHALT NOT......
rodlmffao.
happy cruising.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 09:46   #63

Boat: Catalina 30

No Chicago? Hmmm.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 08-02-2016, 11:01   #64

Boat: Oyster 55

It upsets me that Jamaica gets such a bad wrap.
Personally I would not pass up the opportunity to see Jamaica.
It is a very beautiful country with wonderful people.
It is also a large island and you don't have to visit Kingston. Although I have walked throughout Kingston to include Trench Town.
Mountains, waterfalls, spectacular countryside.
Nice safe marina in Port Antonio.
Lived there for 4 years in late 70's.
Sailed back 2 years ago.
Plan on going back asap.
On the other hand maybe cruisers will just stay away and it will not become just another mooring invested area like the BVI's where it is getting nearly impossible to find a spot to drop a hook or like the Grenadines where lately you are surrounded by far too many boats.
Then there are some who need the security of the herd.
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 17:52   #65

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caradow View Post
It upsets me that Jamaica gets such a bad wrap.
Personally I would not pass up the opportunity to see Jamaica.
It is a very beautiful country with wonderful people.
It is also a large island and you don't have to visit Kingston. Although I have walked throughout Kingston to include Trench Town.
Mountains, waterfalls, spectacular countryside.
Nice safe marina in Port Antonio.
Lived there for 4 years in late 70's.
Sailed back 2 years ago.
Plan on going back asap.
On the other hand maybe cruisers will just stay away and it will not become just another mooring invested area like the BVI's where it is getting nearly impossible to find a spot to drop a hook or like the Grenadines where lately you are surrounded by far too many boats.
Then there are some who need the security of the herd.
Oh I wholly agree with you. Love Jamaica, very different place with a unique cooking style that really isn't done justice by all the "Jamaican style" stuff for sale elsewhere. And Port Antonio is lovely… I actually met Errol Flynn's wife there. Charming woman and lovely people, and Fisherman's Cove is like going back to the sixties, still pristine "avant garde" sixties style with all the original furnishings, amazing! The violence is mostly local on local… however you can't minimise it. It is truly horrendous and of an order of magnitude that takes it way beyond experience in most countries. Most countries would not, for example, take mob justice executions for fairly minor crimes to be "normal activity" and not worthy of investigation.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 13:31   #66

Boat: Pearson 34-II

"Agreed MF, although I'd just like to point out that I think Canada is still part of the "Americas", and it doesn't show up at all on the list. Point your bows north my friends. The waters may be cool, but we promise not to shoot you ... unless you make fun us saying "sorry" all the time. Or worse, if you insist on calling Bud, Coors, Heineken, Corona, or Blue "BEER." Then there's gonna be trouble ." Mike OReilly

Mike,
I believe many cruisers in the future will be heading North into your beautiful country where, by and large, people live in a civilized way. The cruising opportunities are unlimited, the people are friendly and you can find many pristine, isolated anchorages and areas to cruise without the fear of crime. I have advocated for years, on this Forum, that cruisers should vote with their pocketbooks and cruise areas that are thankful and receptive to their presence. Canada is one of the great cruising areas in the world and one of the few places left on earth with unique, unspoiled areas. Good luck and safe sailing and kudos to our good neighbors to the North.
Old 13-02-2016, 12:24   #67

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
"Agreed MF, although I'd just like to point out that I think Canada is still part of the "Americas", and it doesn't show up at all on the list. Point your bows north my friends. The waters may be cool, but we promise not to shoot you ... unless you make fun us saying "sorry" all the time. Or worse, if you insist on calling Bud, Coors, Heineken, Corona, or Blue "BEER." Then there's gonna be trouble ." Mike OReilly

Mike,
I believe many cruisers in the future will be heading North into your beautiful country where, by and large, people live in a civilized way. The cruising opportunities are unlimited, the people are friendly and you can find many pristine, isolated anchorages and areas to cruise without the fear of crime. I have advocated for years, on this Forum, that cruisers should vote with their pocketbooks and cruise areas that are thankful and receptive to their presence. Canada is one of the great cruising areas in the world and one of the few places left on earth with unique, unspoiled areas. Good luck and safe sailing and kudos to our good neighbors to the North.
Wow, thanks rognvald. That's very kind, and of course, quite astute of you .

Another added benefit for my American friends here is that your dollar is kickin' butt compared to the Canadian Loonie right now. I know, b/c I'm travelling in the USA right now, and I couldn't have picked a worse time (financially speaking anyway). So head north my friends.

Tags
Brazil, Jamaica