Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2010, 09:54   #16
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
ticks are a fact of life many places and while gross, usually harmless. Lyme is a location specific problem (US map) and if you are not in a hot area you prolly don't need to worry about it.

I find that the easiest way to remove ticks is by *unscrewing* them. Grip firmly and turn in an unscrewing motion and they back out on their own, leaving nothing behind under the skin and less itchy sore spots.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:41   #17

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViribusUnitis View Post
You sure it was a tick and not a flea?

Fleas do jump. And they are small blood sucking pests.
And difficult to crush, more so than a tick.

Fleas are attracted to vibration, so a hand tapping on the cockpit deck will soon attact any laying in wait for a blood meal.

P
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:27   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
ticks are a fact of life many places and while gross, usually harmless. Lyme is a location specific problem (US map) and if you are not in a hot area you prolly don't need to worry about it.
Respectufully, I disagree. Ticks are in such abundance worldwide that they are a real hazard. Everywhere they go, they latch themselves onto otherwise healthy organisms and slowly drain their life. Worse, they tend to spread all manner of disease, including venereal disease. They are nearly impossible to defeat. Once you get rid of one, another equally annoying one takes its place. In fact, they are so insidious and widespread that seldom are ticks mentioned without the greek prefix for "many", poly.

Brett
LtBrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:15   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Quote:
  • Rocky Mountain spotted fever is a serious, generalized illness that is usually spread by the bite of an infected tick.
  • Anyone who is exposed to areas where ticks live or to pets with ticks is at risk for Rocky Mountain spotted fever.
  • Rocky Mountain spotted fever is treatable with antibiotics. Without treatment, the disease can be fatal.
  • Rocky Mountain spotted fever can be prevented by: 1) avoiding tick bites, 2) removing attached ticks promptly, and 3) getting early diagnosis and treatment.
Fraid I have to agree with LtBrett on this one.
Also
Quote:
Tick-borne meningoencephalitis or Tick-borne encephalitis is a tick-borne viral infection of the central nervous system affecting humans as well as most other mammals. It is caused by the tick-borne encephalitis virus.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 13:22   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBrett View Post
Respectufully, I disagree. Ticks are in such abundance worldwide that they are a real hazard. Everywhere they go, they latch themselves onto otherwise healthy organisms and slowly drain their life.
I think you have ticks confused with tax collectors..... or ambulance chasing lawyers....
mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 14:43   #21

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Don--

If you have been walking anywhere ashore where there are ticks, you could easily have picked them up without being aware of it. Ticks seem to climb up walls, tall grass, foliage and what have you and jump on or drop on the backs of their victims. Some ticks are almost too small to be seen at first.

We live on the edge of the woods and had terrible problems with ticks one year until an exterminator came to our house and treated not only the yard and surrounding area but all of the foliage and low hanging trees within 50 yards as well. If you happen to bring one aboard and it lays eggs, you can have a major problem. Some friends of ours with a dog managed to get an infestation aboard and had a heck of a time getting the boat cleaned out to say nothing of the suffering the animal endured.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 15:27   #22
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBrett View Post
Respectufully, I disagree. Ticks are in such abundance worldwide that they are a real hazard. Everywhere they go, they latch themselves onto otherwise healthy organisms and slowly drain their life. Worse, they tend to spread all manner of disease, including venereal disease. They are nearly impossible to defeat. Once you get rid of one, another equally annoying one takes its place. In fact, they are so insidious and widespread that seldom are ticks mentioned without the greek prefix for "many", poly.

Brett
Well, that's why Baskin Robbins makes 31 flavours I guess...

You live in a much riskier world than I. If the tick risk is localized to particular areas, and particular seasons as all tick borne diseases are, and most ticks will do nothing but grab a free lunch if they are allowed to hang around long enough... well... there you have it. I would take, in the high risk areas, precautions, but it's not on my big list of scary things...............

...................man I think I have been had....
poly-ticks....

uh. yeah ok. Yer right. polyticians are insidious blood sucking life drainers...

good one ; -D

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 17:29   #23
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
In E. Texas where I grew up, they were almost as common as the tall grass where they love to hang out. Along with the chiggers, another insidious blood sucking life drainer.

The common method of prevention was the use of sulfur powder. Liberally applied everywhere below the waist, all the way into the shoes, both inside and outside the clothing.

It was pretty effective, but you were always glad for the shower after a hike.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 17:59   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Quote:
...................man I think I have been had....
poly-ticks....
He got me on that one...
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 18:03   #25
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
A-political?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViribusUnitis View Post

And they are small blood sucking pests.
Nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote