Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2007, 22:48   #46

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Interesting to see so much anti input on USCG boardings etc.

I'm one of the lucky ones who has visited Cuba. Only went by air - found it a great place - nice people - fun.

I'm not sure I'd cruise in as the local restrictions the Cubans apparently place on boat movement doesn't suit my needs.....hopefully one day this will be relaxed and we'll go there.

But its interesting seeing how many apparently US registered skippers on this thread seem to dislike the USCG activities of policing the wider region.

When we've been called up and checked out on radio by US warships in the Med (which is quite a way away from mainland USA) - we always found that kinda comforting.

I've always expected to feel the same way if they wanted to check me out when in the Caribbean or indeed anywhere else. Say what you like about whether they can / can't do it all from a legal position - the reality is the protection and safety net they provide outweighs the inconvenience they bring.

In my opinion - of course.

Cheers
JOHN
Old 20-01-2007, 06:51   #47
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Maark, one of the sadly interesting things about the US Supreme Court is the way they reverse themselves every few years. Their attacks on the fourth amendment seem to have come with the drug in the 70's. But any idiot who can read the fourth amendment, read the definition of "effects" as the word was used in the 1770's, and even better, read things like the Federalist Papers which clearly explain why the amendments were being written, by the folks writing them...Can see that it was specifically written so that the "king's men" could not stop and search your carriage on the road. In simple words, it applies to private conveyances, i.e. vessels. There's no way around that, no matter how elegantly the SC weasels. They're wrong. And they're wrong a second time on vehicle searches, where the states claim a license is a privilege and the licensee consents to waive the fourth amendment. Because no one can be compelled to waive a constitutional right, for any reason. The SC already proved that long ago when they said you couldn't bargain away your right to vote, either.

So, wrong and wrong again, despite all the best reasons. That's the slippery slope that leads to the worst places. Like, boarding other nations' vessels on the high seas. How did the Mad Hatter say? "But it was the best of butter." Doesn't matter when it's wrong.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2007, 10:14   #48

Boat: Hardin Seawolf 41
oh well, I wasn't using my civil rights anyways...
swami maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2007, 11:03   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man
Why can't he just run the country, improve the economy and get an occasional blow-job like Clinton?

Less dead soldiers and less problems for all of us would be the result.

Somebody ought to vote that guy back to his farm in Texas pretty soon.
So the rest of us can go sailing in piece and keep our boats....

Hear hear. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2007, 11:13   #50
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspot Baby
I am truly dissapointed in W. I admit I voted for him (twice). Don't know if the other guy would have been better, but gee W, come on, how many ways can you screw things up?
me too on the first 2 counts but not again. it's not just W himself but in my mind it is the way the country has changed under his lack of leadership. god knows we need somebody to step up and do the job. if not for our future then for our children's. on that note I will end this message and hope I don't offend too many folks here.
Old 22-01-2007, 12:08   #51

Boat: Hardin Seawolf 41
realizing that this is a rhetorically weak argument i'll entertain it regardless. it would stand to figure, that one has a 50-50 shot at getting a decision made correctly... right... right/wrong decision... so it would stand to reason that if you made your decision by flipping a coin and had nothing into it other than your own pulse allowing you to flip the coin, that you would at least get it right half the time... now when someone <cough.. bush.. cough cough> supercedes this average, one must question if it is on purpose? you have to try to screw things up that badly. sorry, this is probably inappropriate and i condone the moderator censuring me. in fact if they do not i condemn it as reckless moderation. ill stop... forgive my insolence.
swami maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2007, 16:16   #52
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Actually...another piece in the Miami Herald again today, this time referring to the way US "argicultural" shipments to Cuba have become bug business in the past five years. Apparently cattle, utility poles, and other goods have been streaming out of the US and into Cuba for at least five years now, with the full approval and knowledge of the US government.

Sailors obviously are more dangerous than utility poles and worth less than cattle. Or maybe, its the other way around?<G>
Old 27-01-2007, 19:13   #53

This thread has been going on for quite awhile. Just wondering how many boats were stolen. Just wondering if the Dread Pirate Bush has raped and pillaged recreational boats? Just wondering if the invective was a tad premature?
N.M.I.ke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2007, 20:47   #54

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
It seems some people like to push the limit, putting their toe across the line then jerking it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami
sorry, this is probably inappropriate and i condone the moderator censuring me. in fact if they do not i condemn it as reckless moderation. ill stop... forgive my insolence.
Let's tone down the political bashing (No, I didn't vote for Bush) and get back to the original subject, the +'s and -'s of sailing to Cuba. I've seen enough insults of a person(s) here to just kill the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RULES
Objectionable content

* Slander or libellous remarks or comments.
* Personal inflammatory remarks or comments.
* Hurtful or disparaging remarks or comments whether personal, racial or politically motivated will absolutely not be tolerated and deleted immediately without notice.
* Directly misleading information, remarks or comments.
Soooo, what's IN Cuba to make it worth getting busted????????????
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2007, 00:53   #55

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
Clean water, lobster, great food, fantastic music, friendly people, good anchorages, terrific diving............................................ ...
dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 01:24   #56

Boat: Macgregor 25 FIBERGLASS VENGEANCE
IMHO we should all protest and make noise about this law and perhaps somebody would listen.....Perhaps not.
At least we have a say at the polls.

Wait, WHAT? At the polls? Maybe you don't remember as far back as 2000, and even 2004, questionable elections both...

I guess that's why I'm getting into this lifestyle, so I can live in the moment, like you sailors do, and forget about all that crap. That's part of why I'm leaving the country for a bit. Maybe personal protest, maybe to enjoy being a world-citizen for a change, and stop engaging in this destructive situation we're all wrapped up in...

Shoot. Someone redirect me to the political forum. I came here to forget this stuff...
livingstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 01:30   #57

Boat: Macgregor 25 FIBERGLASS VENGEANCE
So, seriously...

Can you actually get to Cuba? What does the Cuban government do if you go there?

I read an awesome piece in National Geographic, and I really wanted to go, no joke. I hope I'm not in some trouble for just saying this... or even thinking it...

I thought it would be pretty cool. I guess it was huge in the 50's.
livingstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 02:49   #58
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Yes, we can actually get to Cuba.

The Cuban coast, with its 2,000 miles of coastline, 1,600 cays and dozens of bays and inlets, comprises some of the finest cruising grounds on the planet.

Ports of entry provide customs clearing as well as dockage, electricity, provisions, water, fuel and minor repairs. Authorized ports of entry for non-Cuban vessels are:

Habana
Marina Hemingway

Varadero
Marina Puerto Sol Darsena de Varadero
Marina Gaviota Varadero

Ciego de Avila (the “Cuban keys”)
Marina Gaviota Varadero

Holguin
Base Nautica Gaviota de Naranjo
Base Nautica Marlin Boca de Sama

Santiago de Cuba
Marina Marlin Punta Gorda

Cienfuegos
Marina Puertosol Jagua

Los Canarreos
Marina Puertosol, Cayo Largo

Pinar del Rio
Maria La Gorda Centro Internacional de Buceo Puertosol

Be sure to contact port authorities before you reach jurisdictional waters (12 miles from the base line).
Use these communication channels:
- HF (SSB) channel 2760 (national coastal network) and 2790 (tourism network); or
- VHF channel 68 (national coastal network) and 16 (tourism network).

Port authorities will ask you for the following information:
- name of yacht
- flag
- port of registry
- last port of call
- port of arrival
- estimated time of arrival (ETA)
- type of craft
- colour of craft
- number of persons on board

You must follow the instructions given by the port authorities and remain on board until all legal formalities are concluded. Each crew member must have a valid passport and tourist card.

You must check in with the officials every time you enter a new port ,and check out whenever you leave for another port. At a minimum, this means dealing with the Guarda Frontera, but often also involves officials from customs, immigration, agriculture, public health, and transport.

Noonsite’s Country Report for Cuba:
http://www.noonsite.com/Countries/Cuba

The Cuba Cruising Net has some excellent articles & information:
Home
and
Escape to Cuba - A Sailing Adventure

For American citizens:

To help Americans understand the rules and regulations governing travel to Cuba, the U.S. embargo against the island and other issues, the State Department has a special Web site.
Goto: Cuba
The old Web site address is: Department of State: The U. S. and Cuba

OFAC Cuba Sanctions U.S. Treasury - Sanctions Program Summaries - Cuba

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 08:27   #59
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Bobola, a "presidential proclamation", even an "executive order", is never "signed into law".

Congress makes the laws in this country. Presidential decrees are not laws, even when they are legal exercises of the presidential powers. A small difference perhaps, but it means that a madman in office can't "make laws" he can only spout off.

Dubyah's knowledge of the laws of this land seems to begin and end with "I'm a little teapot here's my spout". Sadly, the man's reading comprehension hasn't improved as much as his public speaking skills have.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:07   #60

Boat: 56' CNSO Mikado Cutter Ketch
Gord,
Thanks for the great information............unfortunately I had to read thru four pages of political crap to get to it.
Jeff
Mikado is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Cuba