Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2015, 12:44   #1

Pain In The Ass?

Salt water sores? I have seen them referenced here and there but can't find much solid info. Are they the same thing as a furuncle? As in a bacterial infection of hair folicles? Or something else?

In my experience on a crossing they made their appearance within the first week. A week later they had worsened to the point of being something I couldn't help but think about almost constantly.

Is there anything that can be done to avoid them? What's the best cure?
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 14:00   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Re: Pain In The Ass?

From kayaking experience, the trick is to keep the butt dry or don't sit in water. When doing multi-day events I always started with dry shorts.

There are some topical gels that are hydrophobic and keep the water off your skin. I never tried them, instead being meticulous about keeping the bum dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 14:10   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Pain In The Ass?

Basically in MHO salt crystals work into your pores then cause a back up.. since I started using baby wipes on a regular basis it seems to do the trick... Aloe..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 15:32   #4

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Aghh. Had them once on a race across the tasman... Never bought any musto gear since! (In fairness it may not have been all the mustos fault, but I do hold a grudge) Since then i've always been pretty careful to keep my bum dry. Its amazing how sitting on your ass on a wet seat seems to wick water through even the best wet wx gear. I tend to stand until the seat of my pants is pretty dry and then sit on a comfy dry pad if I can. If the weathers good dry out the inside of your wet wx pants. If it raining rinse all your salty stuff. Dont hang your pants up after watch as the inside wont dry. Stow them fireman style with the inside of the bum bit out to dry. Change and dry your underpants every time they get damp, and dont sleep in damp clothes. To dry damp clothes inside a dank boat, sleep with them but dont wear them. You can either take lots of underpants, or wash them regularly, or just dry them and then stick them back on. Ive found cotton to be ok as long as it kept dry. The problem with salt water sores is that by the time you've got them starting to itch it's probably to late to do much. I also now tend to be pretty careful with socks, boots and gloves. Trench foot and trench hands is not much fun, and takes months to get full feeling back into fingers and toes due to nerve damage from the cold and damp. Dry feet, ass and hands makes for a happy sailor!

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 15-01-2015, 15:50   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

It is caused by:

Tight clothes or ridge lines on clothes, rubbing or chafing and the salt water acts on the cut or crack or scrape.

Painful. Very. Eventually a scab may develop or a pustule

We tend to not puncture or drain the site, just irrigate with fresh water and keep DRY.It will eventually clear up.

Now this is in a land sterile setting but on a boat its nots so easy. Try to follow the procedure as above and if you have an anti bacterial salve or cream, after washing with fresh water, DRY thoroughly add a little cream and cover well.

Its difficult to look after on the water. Prevention is always better than cure.

And no...... I have never had them but have seen many over the years.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 18:06   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

I hear that the cream used on dairy cattle udders, such as Bag Balm (there are many different ones), works well as a preventative and cure.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 18:23   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
Aghh. Had them once on a race across the tasman... Never bought any musto gear since! (In fairness it may not have been all the mustos fault, but I do hold a grudge) Since then i've always been pretty careful to keep my bum dry. Its amazing how sitting on your ass on a wet seat seems to wick water through even the best wet wx gear. I tend to stand until the seat of my pants is pretty dry and then sit on a comfy dry pad if I can. If the weathers good dry out the inside of your wet wx pants. If it raining rinse all your salty stuff. Dont hang your pants up after watch as the inside wont dry. Stow them fireman style with the inside of the bum bit out to dry. Change and dry your underpants every time they get damp, and dont sleep in damp clothes. To dry damp clothes inside a dank boat, sleep with them but dont wear them. You can either take lots of underpants, or wash them regularly, or just dry them and then stick them back on. Ive found cotton to be ok as long as it kept dry. The problem with salt water sores is that by the time you've got them starting to itch it's probably to late to do much. I also now tend to be pretty careful with socks, boots and gloves. Trench foot and trench hands is not much fun, and takes months to get full feeling back into fingers and toes due to nerve damage from the cold and damp. Dry feet, ass and hands makes for a happy sailor!

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
No man it is the Musto gear (assuming Musto is upside down slang for mustang- hope I'm right and not just making a fool of myself). I get all kinds of uncomfortable stuff from mustang gear. But it's so warm and floaty.
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 18:31   #8
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
No man it is the Musto gear (assuming Musto is upside down slang for mustang- hope I'm right and not just making a fool of myself). I get all kinds of uncomfortable stuff from mustang gear. But it's so warm and floaty.
OK that's funny.

Now see Musto : Clothing and Apparel : Crew Gear and Uniforms : Casual Wear : Wet weather gear : Sailing : Yachting : Marine : Equestrian : Shooting
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 19:53   #9

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Delancey,

If your skin's really damp, and not getting adequately dry by toweling, try using baby powder on the damp places, especially before going on your off watch, when your skin really has a chance to dry. It might work better with the medicated powder, but I think any talcum powder would do.

The sores can grow staph in them, from the sea water, and sometimes require medication to get rid of them, but i guess that depends on your doctor.

Ann
Old 16-01-2015, 05:18   #10

Oh good. I was making a fool of myself! Not to worry. I wont offer fashion advice

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 05:49   #11

Boat: Valiant 40

Baby wipes and lots of clean underwear.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 06:43   #12

When I was in America (San Francisco) I was put on to some cream called Bum Butter. You get it from the baby section. Works great on sores and chafe.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 06:51   #13
cruiser

Keep dry if you can. HTFU and wipe on isopropyl alcohol. Yes, it hurts. This also might help Boudreaux's Butt Paste
jaybird1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 07:09   #14

Location: Working on the new boat getting ready for first shake down cruise. Currently on the east coast of the US.
Boat: Peterson 44.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Delancey,

If your skin's really damp, and not getting adequately dry by toweling, try using baby powder on the damp places, especially before going on your off watch, when your skin really has a chance to dry. It might work better with the medicated powder, but I think any talcum powder would do.

The sores can grow staph in them, from the sea water, and sometimes require medication to get rid of them, but i guess that depends on your doctor.

Ann
Oh please don't!!!! Baby/talcum powder cakes into wounds and we really hate having to dig that out of orifices plus it isn't good for any kind of wound situation.

Prevention is better than cure here BUT dry thoroughly, wash with anti bacterial soap well with fresh water only. Then dry really well again. Then apply an antiseptic. Now depending on your location in the world you will get differing options BUT try to get a povidone iodine solution if you can or failing that Dettol or Savlon or Chlorhexidine are all good alternatives. Povidone is a good antiseptic and dries well.

The preferred option here in the USA (this is from my trying to locate a good antiseptic cleaner for provisioning) is Hydrogen Peroxide. Again - please don't. Hydrogen peroxide is really not good for wound healing it causes greater scar formation and isn't good for clean tissue. It is satisfying when it bubbles but you are actually ruining good tissue and slowing healing so it is not a good option.

Once wound is dry - try to expose it to air and sun (OK sometimes that isn't so easy or even possible) but if still at sea don't put on clothes when going to bed, expose area to air. When the weather and situation allows get outside and stick bum in air and get the sun on it. (Now there's a picture for you) Greatest healer for this kind of problem, do not puncture, remove scabs, play with or muck around with it. If there is pus present clean carefully with povidone iodine and let it dry well. If it continues to drain then a dressing will be necessary but whenever you can get it in the air and sun after cleaning well.

Hope this helps!
S/V Willow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 07:21   #15

Great feedback, thanks to all. Staying dry would seem to be the key but sometimes easier said than done.

I am reading Webb Chiles' Open Boat and he mentions having them on his arms and legs as well from sleeping while soaked. In my one experience with them everything on the boat was wet and everyone on board got them.

Before the crappy weather set in we had been bathing with saltwater, probably a good idea to finish off with baby wipes to get rid of the salt but I hadn't ever heard that recommended before.

By the time I had noticed I had ditched my cotton drawers in favor of polypropylene mostly because it had gotten quite cold but I think losing the cotton helped a bit with my bum by not keeping the damp against the skin the way salty cotton does.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote