Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2016, 12:56   #46

Re: The "Grey Man" Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
If you are concerned about being targeted as a tourist because of your looks/dress in re: crime, you're traveling/cruising in the wrong areas. Travel to areas where crime is not a major problem and you can be yourself. I've never tried to "blend" in any foreign countries I've visited. However, I always treat locals in a friendly and respectful manner with no pretensions or attitudes. We have friends today from around the world where the friendship began as a result of a common daily discourse. Our boat is clean; we are clean; we don't wear disguises. Good luck and safe sailing.
The crime happens a lot of places, not just a matter of traveling to where "it doesn't happen..."
I've seen it in the DR, Nassau, Trini , Mexico etc. For instance, one woman, .... looked to be a tourist to me.... had her gold chain ripped off her neck as someone got off the public bus. Plenty of people around, it was daytime and busy. Fortunately, the bus driver yelled out and some grabbed the guy, the bus driver got there with a tire iron in his hand... Similar thing in Trini. The lesson? don't wear gold and jewelry!
All the same, we befriended some people in the DR and had no problems. You just have to do what you do and carry on....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser